what the fuck is cyberpunk

"
aggromagnet wrote:
...<pic>...They worked pretty closely with nVidia with regard to DLSS and ray tracing. RE4 doesn't use PhysX though (which could help explain some of the absolutely bizarre physics bugs in the game lol), and IIRC only Witcher 2 used Havok.

Thank you so much for that splashpage!

Octopus Code is a physics simulator, but geared much more towards particle physics with some molecular simulations, afaik. It's not for macro/aggregated systems. So, they may have used it in their engine for real-time ray-tracing and some other lighting effects.

Jali is an animation platform, but it's specialized for voice-syncing facial animations. (Phoneme matching, etc.)

Wwise is audio, very popular these days.

Speedtree is one of the most popular tree/vegetation generators.

Bink Video should be familiar to anyone who has had to deal with deprecated bink-video intros in old games... The rest is self-explanatory, as well.

"
...I've seen the game firsthand on one of my nephews' PS4, and it is thoroughly awful. It barely qualifies as a game, let alone one playable enough to be worth anyone's time. I'm truly baffled as to how they thought releasing it in that state was better than delaying again.

I have no first-hand knowledge, but from what reviews I've read, they released an optimization/fix patch for PS4 that supposedly greatly improved/fixed the initial gameplay/rendering/whatsits issues.

Their stock drop is concerning for them, I'm sure. But, they'll recover eventually. They can't hope BUT to recover having all their costs met on preorder and first week e-sales, alone. Their shares will rise with their next period's reporting.

Thanks again for that splash-page! I really appreciate that!

Basically, it doesn't appear from that screen that they're licensing a third-party tool for collision detection and physics. So, IOW, wonkiness is their fault. :) Both Physx and Havok can be prone to wildly powerful energies being exerted, especially when collision hulls contact multiple surfaces at around the same time, but of greatly varying angles. I don't know the maths/effects, but in those systems something, somewhere, gets multiplied and the energy applied is redonculous or told that it should be somewhere that is fifty-eleven units too far away... :)
Last edited by Morkonan on Dec 18, 2020, 8:44:00 AM
"
lolozori wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:

And you should hope so, since they also run GOG.

D

Well there is this thing with GOG and a particular game that got pulled because of some china-taiwan problem. Right now people are also thinking boycotting GOG too.
Yeah, that's a really awkward situation. And it's a pretty decent game, too. My wife bought it during the brief period it was available on Steam last year. She's a product of Taiwan's darker past, so playing through those games ("Devotion" and its predecessor "Detention", in particular) was rather cathartic for her.

GOG backtracked on selling it for the same reasons it got yanked from Steam anyway--an onslaught of trolls and threats from a certain somewhere. "messages from gamers" my ass lol...
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
GOG backtracked on selling it for the same reasons it got yanked from Steam anyway--an onslaught of trolls and threats from a certain somewhere. "messages from gamers" my ass lol...

From what I've read, the Steam issue was the result of some sort of disagreement between Valve and the publishers/developers.

The Gog issue seems much more related to the claim of "gamer feedback" (Which is total B.S....). They pulled it for the exact same reason few people here are willing to mention the game in question, why it was pulled, and who actually did the threatening...

One day, there will be a reckoning that comes due for these sorts of actions. This sort of thing does not stand for long and while some may think they can withstand the onslaught of history, the tide always turns.
"
Morkonan wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:

From what I've read, the Steam issue was the result of some sort of disagreement between Valve and the publishers/developers.

The Gog issue seems much more related to the claim of "gamer feedback" (Which is total B.S....). They pulled it for the exact same reason few people here are willing to mention the game in question, why it was pulled, and who actually did the threatening...

One day, there will be a reckoning that comes due for these sorts of actions. This sort of thing does not stand for long and while some may think they can withstand the onslaught of history, the tide always turns.
There wasn't really a disagreement between Valve and the devs. There definitely was a disagreement between trolls from a certain somewhere and the devs though, for including a meme of the dear leader of that certain somewhere in the game art.

The game got review-bombed into oblivion, real lives were threatened, and the devs pulled the game themselves. There may have also been a "You pull it or we will, because we have no choice" situation between Valve and Red Candle, due to Valve's efforts to legally launch a version of Steam for that certain somewhere. It was a difficult situation, and it was kind of a big deal here for a bit when it happened (I live in Taiwan btw).

GOG simply self-censored before it was too late and things got too out of hand, much like Hollywood, the NBA, and "insert whatever here" have already been conditioned to do.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
xMustard wrote:
honestly i wouldn't be surprised if they just scoop the money and run. tank the company and start fresh under some other name etc.

Geez! One bad release (particularly on consoles) and people dismiss the company as a goner. This kinda reaction is as bad as the people who treated them as the second coming after Witcher 3. CDPR ain't going anywhere.

And you should hope so, since they also run GOG.

Anyhoo, at least this once again shows why PC is the master race. \o/ :D

what are you talking about. im not dismissing the company or say they should take the money and run, i said i wouldn't be surprised if they did it.
im not anticipating it, but its happened before and can happen again. CDPR isn't above any other company in this regard.
just taking the money they made, closing the company and starting fresh under some other name etc would be a lot easier than trying the whole PR required to try to regain trust in their company.

i also have no idea what the hell GOG is or why that should matter
Last edited by xMustard on Dec 18, 2020, 3:31:02 PM
Didn't see Blizzard turning tail and running after making bigger screw ups. A whole bunch of them.
The story behind Sony pulling the game simply because they don't want to refunds any more copies is fascinating stuff. I wonder if they'll be better prepared for this in the future. Probably not...most 'faulty' games can just be patched and patched.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
Morkonan wrote:

China is apparently top region for Cyberpunk 2077 pre-orders ... and best-seller on Steam in China. They don't want to hurt the feelings of the Chinese people, do they?
"
awesome999 wrote:
"
Morkonan wrote:

China is apparently top region for Cyberpunk 2077 pre-orders ... and best-seller on Steam in China. They don't want to hurt the feelings of the Chinese people, do they?

How could any of this "hurt the feelings of the Chinese people?"

In other news:

___

Sony pulls Cyberpunk 2077 from the Playstation Store: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/18/tech/cyberpunk-2077-sony-playstation-store-scli-intl/index.html

PS: This is a pretty big deal... Sony yanked the game everyone was waiting for. They yanked a top-seller. They yanked the "game-killer" that crowded out other game releases.

I think it's more than just "refund policies." Sony's brand protection needed some flexing - Playstation gets non-exclusive titles dumped on them with what appears to be little regard for functionality on Sony's systems.

"It works on PC and XBox, so it's good enough... Oh, and ship it to Sony, too."

Sure, they wanted to head-off the "Play it, forget it, refund it" crowd, but a good many players who'd really want to play that game are going to want to keep it for future DLC/Content.

Anyway, I don't think it bothered Sony one bit to be able to tell a AAA house to go pound sand.
Last edited by Morkonan on Dec 20, 2020, 3:37:42 PM
"
Morkonan wrote:

How could any of this "hurt the feelings of the Chinese people?"

This make Pooh sad. Pooh is quite popular in China and have his own band of loyal supporters.

Obviously I don't believe you would think it is their feeling that matter. But it is the possibility that they could penalize you severely for something you don't believe in or pretty much against.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info