what the fuck is cyberpunk

okay
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Cyberpunk 1977 would be a better title - as in what people in 1977 with no real vision of the future imagined the future to be like.

As a fiction genre - Technology and society still have another 20-30 years before they will reach the technology predicted in the 1980s. To give a perspective on it - imagine you have your current memory of what Path of Exile is now, but are sent to an alternate time line. In that timeline the year is 2050 and after 40 years of development of Path of Exile they've only gotten as far as Axiom Prison and the battle with Brutus. Now imagine that Cyber Path of Exile is offering a look into the "future" with development up until Merveil. How excited would you be for that?

You couldn't pay me to play a "future" game with nothing futuristic about it. I'm sure a lot of people will find it to be a fun game. Good for them, and I hope the company does well with it. We need more varieties and new things in gaming. This one just happens to be not my cup of tea.

I've recently finished a much-belated and very...problematic Babylon 5 marathon. For all of its innovations regarding long form TV storytelling and consistent character consequences, it's very much rooted in the 90s idea of the future. Far more so than its slicker, better funded counterpart Star Trek: TNG, which somewhat predicted the advent of the tablet (or possibly even influenced it) -- while B5 still had painfully 'future retro' fonts, fluorescent colours everywhere and tacky 'space' versions of very contemporary crap. It's laughable now BUT to me the value lies not in its lack of credible vision but in its historical insight. The future that is is rarely as fascinating as the one people imagined. Back to the Future certainly taught us that.

So if we consider the Gibsonian roots of Cyberpunk 2077, then it's less a true 'futuristic' game and more of a 'what if'. But so is pretty much any entertaining sci-fi -- which is why most of the reaaaally famous sci-fi is actually galactic fantasy 'long, long ago' or 'far, far into the future' space opera rather than hard science-driven fiction doing its best to predict and anticipate. That's rarely all that satisfying for the mainstream, or even the futurists -- folks like Syd Mead who were less concerned with the anticipated wall in front of us than what wonders and horrors may lie behind it.

There are far worse settings for fiction than the 70s/80s idea of the future.

As a genuinely curious aside, do you feel the same disdain for stuff like Blade Runner?
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
I've recently finished a much-belated and very...problematic Babylon 5 marathon. For all of its innovations regarding long form TV storytelling and consistent character consequences, it's very much rooted in the 90s idea of the future. ...

Babylon 5 is one of my all-time favorite shows. It's not any of its innovations nor some of its controversies that drew me to it - It was the stories.

That sort of "Fort Apache in Space" setting was perfect for what it lent to all those stories. Star Trek was "Wagon Train" and B5 was "Fort Apache." (With an also-ran "Star Trek:DS-9" because someone wanted to produce an idea they heard about... somewhere else.)

It's a great series and still worth the watch. IMO, it has a lot more staying power than ST:TNG. TNG's problem was "technology comes to the rescue." B5 didn't use that worn out tecnobabble Deus Ex Machina. Instead, humans saved the day, even if they were aliens...
"
Morkonan wrote:
"
I've recently finished a much-belated and very...problematic Babylon 5 marathon. For all of its innovations regarding long form TV storytelling and consistent character consequences, it's very much rooted in the 90s idea of the future. ...

Babylon 5 is one of my all-time favorite shows. It's not any of its innovations nor some of its controversies that drew me to it - It was the stories.

That sort of "Fort Apache in Space" setting was perfect for what it lent to all those stories. Star Trek was "Wagon Train" and B5 was "Fort Apache." (With an also-ran "Star Trek:DS-9" because someone wanted to produce an idea they heard about... somewhere else.)

It's a great series and still worth the watch. IMO, it has a lot more staying power than ST:TNG. TNG's problem was "technology comes to the rescue." B5 didn't use that worn out tecnobabble Deus Ex Machina. Instead, humans saved the day, even if they were aliens...

+1 for B5. Also the CCG rocked.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
Morkonan wrote:
"

Off Topic
I feel like The Expanse has sort of rendered it obsolete (BSG certainly didn't, but I enjoyed that for other reasons). It has the same long-story form; the same geopolitics-between-Earth-and-Mars feel; the same 'there are forces bigger than us in this war' conceit; the same attempt at adherence to Newtonian physics in space, which I suspect was a big plus for B5's choice to go CG rather than models. It also has far better dialogue, acting, set dressing, sfx...but viewed as an indomitably confident if grossly underfunded prototype, B5 still has its place. Definitely the little space station that could.

Coincidentally my DVD set just arrived after having trekked from London to Leipzig to Tokyo to Sydney. The quality is definitely higher than my AHEMMMMED marathon, but the CG still doesn't hold up. And you can't fix bad dialogue writing.

I also recently read Claudia Christian's memoir, which is really quite good for a booze/drugs/sex/fall/redemption romp but definitely leaves a few bloodstains regarding her fellow b5 castmates and a few Hollywood B-Listers with whom she bumped (very) uglies...and one very rich Egyptian who would later become very famous for how he died...and with whom.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 2, 2020, 2:28:16 AM
Obligatory On-Topic Comment: I don't know how Cyberpunk 2077 is really going to justify its moniker. "Cyberpunk" should have enough room to justify a lot of dystopic, seedy, technomarvel, tribalism stuffs... I don't know what "world building" they'll be able to do for a world that some of its players are actually going to experience once day IRL.

"
I feel like The Expanse has sort of rendered it obsolete

Spoiler
Got lost in bbbcode implementation, therefore:

"
I feel like The Expanse has sort of rendered it obsolete (BSG certainly didn't, but I enjoyed that for other reasons). It has the same long-story form; the same geopolitics-between-Earth-and-Mars feel; the same 'there are forces bigger than us in this war' conceit;

The difference is that The Expanse takes its source from a series of novels. Babylon 5 was thunked up out of whole cloth with a purpose-driven intent for the small screen. Television and novels both run afoul of the same problem with a long-form plot - It has to end. The issue is a simple one in that building up all the drama, all the detail, all the investment from the audience, to such an extent to drive a series through even its worst lazy bits... can only ever be done once. Babylon 5 is a prime example of that. Once the "story" was done, there wasn't really anywhere else it could go. Otherwise, the story wouldn't have been properly... "done." :)

"
...the same attempt at adherence to Newtonian physics in space, which I suspect was a big plus for B5's choice to go CG rather than models.

Straczynski's vision was decidedly visual... The costs for practical effects would have been outrageous and no shop at the time could have really done it outside of ILM-tier fees. Straczynski's experience in the "comics" genres likely helped drive that intense need for proper visualizations.

"
It also has far better dialogue, acting, set dressing, sfx...but viewed as an indomitably confident if grossly underfunded prototype, B5 still has its place. Definitely the little space station that could.

"The Expanse" has the advantage of having everything that Bab5 didn't. :) Science-Fiction television has been decidedly... mixed in terms of its reception. There isn't a riskier proposition to produce than a "Science Fiction Television Series." Not a one. They involve high budgets, long production time thanks to effects/sets, etc. One can't just build a three camera stage and start filming. "Babylon 5" never made a profit. (I don't know how its residuals/syndication fees balance out, there.)

"The Expanse" has the advantage of having at least one highly experienced writer having already written the story being told. Nobody has to figure out how to get characters from one place to another and someone can start working during Season 1 on the effects and rendering for the Season 2 finale. :)(Daniel Abraham, one of my favorites. I don't know his co-writer's history. AFAIK, his co-writer "Ty Franck" just happens to be his neighbor who had a cool story idea. :)))

"
Coincidentally my DVD set just arrived after having trekked from London to Leipzig to Tokyo to Sydney. The quality is definitely higher than my AHEMMMMED marathon, but the CG still doesn't hold up. And you can't fix bad dialogue writing.

There IS some sort of cringy dialogue in Bab5. But, there is some outstanding bits being fed to "fans." It has to be not3ed that the best characters in the series, Molari and G'Kar, also have the best dialogue and, by far, the most intense scenes. I'd also add that Vir Cotto, played by Stephen Furth (RIP), is the most "human" character on the show and is very definitely a "Fish Out of Water" character. In interest of brevity, fill-in other bits about the "alien" characters and then: The most human characters, with the most personal "character arcs," are... "aliens." ALL of them change. The humans are largely flat characters. They have their moments, but they're not as compelling as the alien characters. (There were also some real-life issues, here and there, that contributed to some problems with characters/roles on Bab5.)

PS: I'm not a Babylon 5 apologist. But, the show broke some ground where previous shows had failed or had feared to tred. It was a highly unique concept that had only been loosely attempted by a few other shows before it and none had been so brazen. Nobody had actually been cocky enough to plan a series that was destined to "end" after five seasons with nothing but a lot of empty pages following that... (These days, it seems two seasons worth of stories is all anyone will devote an effort to. Thank Netflix. I don't count the added spin-offs as they were "also ran" efforts.)

"
I also recently read Claudia Christian's memoir, which is really quite good for a booze/drugs/sex/fall/redemption romp but definitely leaves a few bloodstains regarding her fellow b5 castmates and a few Hollywood B-Listers with whom she bumped (very) uglies...and one very rich Egyptian who would later become very famous for how he died...and with whom.

I remember something about that, but don't recall the specifics. It's worth noting, I think, that a metric crap-ton of "actors" might excel at what they do and how they do it because they're already screwed up in the head, so what's the harm for them in "becoming someone else" for the majority of their working lives? I imagine everyone's life runs afoul of dirty little secrets in direct proportion to how closely its being filmed. :)

An intense work-environment that requires everyone do their job to their very best ability with dramatic spurts of production means that there's going to be periods where all the anxiety and energy built up during those efforts and sudden victories... is going to take its toll. For a lot of those involved, the "after-party" probably takes place at the wrap for that week's episode.
"
Morkonan wrote:
Obligatory On-Topic Comment: I don't know how Cyberpunk 2077 is really going to justify its moniker.

Just remember, CP77 isn't named after the genre, but after the table top game.
Spoiler
yeah, you kind of are a B5 apologist, Morkonan, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Nothing you've said was untenable. I suppose I should have contextualised: from a current perspective of where sci-fi TV is, Babylon 5 is hard to sell in light of The Expanse's existence. But that's why I called B5 a prototype, a little train that could: without it, there'd be no BSG remake, no Expanse, possibly no golden age of television. And I watched it in that spirit. But for someone accustomed to that golden age of tv production, it'd be a rough ride with little appreciable payoff compared to what tv shows learned to deliver not long after JMS got screwed out of a proper 5th season.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SeinfeldIsUnfunny/LiveActionTV -- scroll down to B5's entry. It acknowledges the pioneering but at the same time doesn't ignore that sometimes things 'ahead of their time' can also suffer from being 'premature'. I believe B5 definitely has some premature issues.

And let's not undersell how bad the writing can be, especially when it tries to be funny.

Naturally Londo and G'Kar get the lion's share of the interactions, they're the best two actors on the show by a *mile*, and that in itself was innovative: two non-humans leaving the humans in the dirt. And Vir, for sure, the fish out of water, although Lennier is sort of his counterpart there. And yes, no children or robots, something that seems countercultural but in B5's case simply left room for other sorts of immaturities. But let's say for a distinctly 90s show, it was very mature indeed. It's just hard to see that sometimes under the sheer bulk of what weighs against it. Some of it fair (the low budget, the lack of other writers tempering JMS' workaday-at-best dialogue and tendency to speechifying that doesn't always stick the landing), some not so fair (the poor transfer of the CG to dvd, lack of HD remaster, the loss of Ivanova due to contract conflict).

Obligatory on-topic comment: Shadowrun > Cyberpunk 2020
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 8, 2020, 2:25:55 AM
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
Morkonan wrote:
Obligatory On-Topic Comment: I don't know how Cyberpunk 2077 is really going to justify its moniker.

Just remember, CP77 isn't named after the genre, but after the table top game.

I guess "Shadowrun" was taken?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info