What's Next for Archnemesis Modifiers - Part 3 (and list of modifiers)

As a Storm Brand Inquis, I feel like I'm cheesing through a lot of the AN mechanics in maps just by having a persistent ranged skill that ignores resists on crit. I can't imagine running a melee build this league...

My biggest problem right now is how hard AN clashes with most other content.

1) The sheer amount of visual clutter and claustrophobia mainly during Delve, Incursion, Heist, & Ritual encounters can be overwhelming. You can have Ice Prisons on top of Toxic balls on top of Snow bolts on top of Temporal Bubbles on top of Corrupter blood bubbles etc. Hopefully this is somewhat fixed with the new one-mod minimum patch.

2) AN stat bonuses stacked with implicit stat bonuses from past leagues (and Sentinel) creates rares that are more powerful and tanky than map bosses that are multiple levels higher. I don't mind seeing AN mods on Einhar beasts, Metamorphs, and Essences (like OG Nemesis did) but they need to be toned down in those instances or they just need an extra attack or spell granted by AN without all the inherent stat bonuses.

And then there are certain mods:

1) Invulnerable. Make it work like the "Allies cannot be killed" aura where the rare can be damaged AT ANY TIME. The arbitrary "twiddling your thumbs because you can't do anything" time adds no gameplay value.

2) Drought Bringer. It feels like simply passing by this mod drains my flasks by half.

3) Mana Siphoner. Annoying, but the donut hole would have been helpful to know about beforehand. It's visually unclear that the hole even exists especially when a bigger monster eats up most of its real estate.

4) Trickster. At the very least make it flee less often. Ideally take out the fleeing or ice walls or both.

5) All mods that have a built-in skill in addition to damage and resist bonuses. Why do Frostweaver and Frost Strider and Ice Prison all have phys to cold, extra phys to cold, more cold damage, and more cold resist? Frostweaver should have most of the buffs while Frost Strider and Ice Prison should focus on their effects with little to no stat buffs. If they were separated like this, these mods can mesh better with other AN mods and other league content.
Avid door opening enjoyer.
The problem with item quantity is you removed beyond. With my MF build and the way I was juicing maps, I would have at least 10-30 uniques drops that would show on the strictest filter (non-divine farm). The overall amount of unique monsters that we can get to spawn to spawn on our maps has drastically reduced. Causing a reduced overall quantity of items. While all your other changes made the maps stupidly hard.
I have cleared Eater+elder+deli+redeemer maps all gilded scarabs sextants as well
IQQ:84 IRR:222

Public Leeching Parties
-Are going to become a lot less common
-Less rarity and quant for host
-90 Max res Aura bots are dying consistently
-A increase in meta parties will happen DPS>Aura>Curse>Mana Guardian.
-Hosting Public Parties for the last 4 months on Standard about 80% of players that join are unable to handle T16 Beyond Deli (pre-patch)
-Now I expect anyone that joins my party to be dying even myself
-Parties no longer worth it Why let people come and die in your map when you've spent 100c+ juicing it with a high possibility of the map not getting completed.

Divine farm maps have been nerfed and are not worth focusing on really.
-Divine Prices go up
Grand Ember and Ichor drops dupe now and you get more I was pulling 20-30 a map
-Grand Prices will tank
Beyond removal
-Divine Farm Sextants will skyrocket or hopefully crash because no one wants to run it anymore
MF builds already have trouble getting to T16 Maps it's expensive AF and with the loot, you receive for the difficulty it makes MF builds less viable.

Over 8 Months I invested around 7-8 mirrors into my build min-maxing it the whole way(standard prices)
and I am pretty much unable to do a map without dying now.
Divine farm maps are a hit or miss. I can only get about 50% of the strand cleared before Deli will end with the 25% dissipation node. While also seeing about a 50-75% decrease in 6L drops.

Edit:Suggestion instead of 25% increase damage per altar used try 10-15%

Last edited by Varacolaci on May 15, 2022, 7:17:50 AM
The best thing u can do is just delite stupid arcmemesis like a nightmare and we pretend nothing happend. Arch nemesis was one of worst leagues ever and u stupid enough to make it in core on every rare and blue enemys. I hope Tencent fired retards that responsible for this stupidest dicison ever make in this game.
I really loved Archnemesis. I went from softcore to SSF again, just because of the map changes and Archnemesis. But this implementation just ruined this league for me. Yes, I really liked the idea to changes of blue and yellow enemies, but the difficulty just went to the roof.

With 3.18 I wanted to go softcore again and wow I am happy I did that. So many deaths due to blue and yellow mobs. I am currently playing as a Dominating Blow - Guardian and this league start has been the worst for me.

Just after 2 days I feel I need a break from this league... I am more afraid of the rare monsters then uniques. Let them be a challenge, but not a death trap every time.

I am out for now playing some Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters. Great game btw.
If the ultimate game direction is to slow things down and make you have to pay more attention, you can't just have difficult mods hidden away in the writhing mass of colours which is essentially most league encounters/juiced maps.

I actually like the idea of a more thought out, slower playstyle, not that the community at large seems too, but this change in a vacuum does not achieve that anyway. It keeps the game at the same pace but makes it even more of a cluster-F and visual nightmare now you are actually trying to see what is there, which in turn pushes people towards aoe type builds as 'less good' builds like strikers which already get overwhelmed easily, stand less chance, and have no niche to fill.

If I was making poe specifically for myself, I would have less mobs, that are harder. I actually would like the game to be slowed down a bit (you can't even appreciate the design of half the stuff you fight) mainly from the visual aspect, as I find the 'dump metric ton of enemies' on you for the games answer for challenge not that interesting, particularly when this is the strategy for almost all content. This would mean builds that can focus on smaller packs have a place, and zoomers still have the benefit of being able to get pack to pack quicker. I guess that would not fit with the blowing up screens meta, but they could still find a place for that in super juiced content and certain mechanics (i.e. blight, makes sense for lots of enemies on the screen, but expedition, could be that one hard mob climbs out rather than a shotgun blast of everything and anything).

At high levels of gear when people blow up everything, surely blowing up 2-3 big boss type enemies (even if just big boi version of normal mobs i.e rares) and having a big loot drop is just as satisfying as 20-30 indescribable small mobs which are just a epliptic fever dream for the 4 nanoseconds before they explode.
This helps with challenge, as I liked archnemesis when you are one-on-one with a creation, and a lighter version of that being rares in-game in general would be good, which I guess was the intention originally with adding this. But at present the sheer amount of normal adds that spawn in content which can also take on the buffs of the rares, is both too difficult, and also so cluttered I don't appreciate what I am fighting, just skirt the pack at distance if possible and kill at range is most builds strategy in poe at present because of this. The 'weight' of any drops will feel the same, as currently (well pre 3.18) no one is paying attention to general mobs or expecting big drops from large packs..and if rares were harder, but not also crowded with 50 million normal mobs then archnemisis would potentially work.

Some changes to make league content (i.e ritual etc) spawn a different type of enemy challenge instead of rares would go a long way, or as mentioned less rares and enemies in general but more challenging. A LOT of work on visual clarity still needed, either through less clutter or better design. I am not a huge D3 fan, but a pack with 'FIRE CHAINS' has massive chains going from monster to monster'. Watch some (not all) greater rift content, the rares and magic packs have 'space' around them,and while they usually suck and take 20 years to kill, its less likely you lose track of them in the mix. In Poe it is almost impossible to appreciate what is happening 90% of the time, even before high amounts of juice are added to content.

I am a long time player, but still quite casual (not much time etc etc) but I have loved the game for years and still do. I think the mid-late end game where I usually reside is in a bad place from the changes and this is just my ramblings on this.
"
Chris wrote:
Due to the random nature of drops, it's entirely possible to get almost nothing one time, and a decent pile of rares or a unique item another time.

Your premisse is that sometimes you get good loot. Sadly, "a pile of rares" in POE is worthless, and most uniques are too.
I'm still leveling but can throw my two cents.

Hasted had (last league) and still has the most ridiculous difficulty as a "low-tier mod". It was absurdly hard in the first acts.

Toxic is the most cancerous mod because of its on-death effect. This league it appears more visible though, maybe it was actually changed.

Since it's the first time I'm playing with a leveling build, campaign is a breeze, even with new mods on rares.

And yes, I also think that rares are unrewarding. If they got the difficulty from Archnemesis, they should also get their 100% rewards they had. Rares are only rewarding when you buff them with sentinels.
Problem: Players are having fun in Path of Exile.
Solution: Remove fun.
I read them and i still think these mods are too overpowered. When are u buffing map and act bosses? Cuz currently they're a joke compared to rare mobs, i wouldnt mind fighting brutus for 4 mins.
Couple obvious outliers that are broken to me. Effigy is just stupidly annoying. With visual clarity as bad as it is, I doubt I'll be able to even see this link from it let alone move away in time. Empowering minions is absolutely busted. This is giving rare monsters up to 7 mods. This can't be appropriately balanced, right?
cant wait for part 4!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info