Tempest Shield

From the new patch notes:
"
Qarl wrote:
General Balance:
  • Spell Block and Spell Dodge now apply to reflected Spell damage.
Does this mean that if I deal damage to a monster, the damage is reflected, and then I block it, do I deal Tempest Shield damage to myself?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
General Balance:
Does this mean that if I deal damage to a monster, the damage is reflected, and then I block it, do I deal Tempest Shield damage to myself?

It honestly sounds like it would; I'm interested to know too.

On that note: would Tempest Shield ping-pong (you block the hit, you take damage, you block the hit..) until it gets past your Block? And what would happen if two people with high attack speeds and max Spell Block attack eachother? Would you notice it in your framerate or latency at all? The possibilities are... Actually pretty finite, but interesting nontheless!
i think i remember the devs saying it cannot ping pong in a thread about physical reflect mobs and punishment, then again i don't remember a case like this where things DO respond.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
General Balance:

Reflected damage will not trigger on-block effects such as this, or on-hit effects in general (leech, status ailments, culling strike, etc.)
Posting this in two threads relevant;

Does the reflect from Tempest Shield proc from each damage instance of Puncture? Because i took damage from seemingly nothing when kiting Marceus the Defaced in the marketplace.
I had punctured him and he had Tempest shield up, i was in sync and then i took tons of damage and died while he was almost an entire screen away.

Any thoughts?
"
StingrayNine wrote:
Posting this in two threads relevant;
Any thoughts?

Yes; that double-posting is annoying as shit :) Works better keeping the conversation in one place.
"
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
General Balance:

Reflected damage will not trigger on-block effects such as this, or on-hit effects in general (leech, status ailments, culling strike, etc.)

How about lightninng dmg from tempest shield, does that also work as reflected dmg?

And on that note could tempest shield only be a bad thing if the target is affected by lightning thorns, say they arc you to trigger a spell block that will trigger your tempest shield do lightnng dmg to them, that is now triggering their lightning thorns?

Is tempest shield catagorised in the same manner as reflect just from the player so it would not trigger lightning thorns?
twitch.tv/nugiyen (Live almost everyday from 15.00 +1 GMT)
follow @nugiyen on twitter
www.youtube.com/nugiyen
Last edited by nugiyen on Jul 25, 2013, 8:40:05 AM
"
nugiyen wrote:
"

How about lightninng thorns, does that also work as reflected dmg?

And on that note could tempest shield only be a bad thing if the target is affected by lightning thorns, say they arc you to trigger a spell block that will trigger your tempest shield do lightnng dmg to them, that is now triggering their lightning thorns?

Is tempest shield catagorised in the same manner as reflect just from the player so it would not trigger lightning thorns?

I am pretty sure that since the gems states that 'it' deals damage that it isn't categorized as reflect. But it would be interesting if i am wrong.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
"
nugiyen wrote:
How about lightninng dmg from tempest shield, does that also work as reflected dmg?
Tempest Shield damage triggers Lightning Thorns and Reflects Elemental Damage, but Reflects Elemental Damage do not trigger Tempest Shield when blocked.

To clarify, here's two examples.

1) You use Arc on something with Lightning Thorns or Reflects Elemental Damage. The Thorns/Reflect triggers, and if you have spell block you can block it, but if you block it no Tempest Shield will be triggered.

2) A Blackguard Mage with Reflects Elemental Damage casts Arc on you, and you block it with spell block. Tempest Shield triggers and deals lightning damage to the Blackguard Mage. The triggers Reflect, which you can then block, but if you block it no (further) Tempest Shield will be triggered.

I'm not exactly sure if Lightning Thorns does or does not trigger Tempest Shield when blocked; in the event that it does, what that means is that eventually the Lightning Thorns damage will come through unblocked, but as long as the block chain persists you and the Thorns'd monster will be playing lightning damage ping-pong where they take damage and you don't. Actually, if the monster dies to ping-pong then you block the final Thorns hit, you could block it completely.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 29, 2013, 1:47:44 AM
It's a modifier to the skill, just like everything else on a given gem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info