Tempest Shield

I like it as it is due to the 0.25 cast time being a good thing for niche builds (demon stitcher is otherwise near useless without imo, see this demo that isn't even optimized and divide effectiveness by about 2.4 (due to spell echo and most spells being at best 0.5 T). The main reason being most spell casters either use one or two spells as a dot or use spell echo which reduces skill use rate (not cast rate and as a result get unreliable conversion rates.)) and is useful for orb of storms which follows similar standards.

But I think a good idea would be to make it a 0% reservation. I find one of the problems is running out of keys to manually cast, I often need to cwdt it and cwdt can be less reliable sometimes. The duration is very long and should not really have to force characters to recast this, instant or not. It would mess up most of my builds (mostly kitava's thirst) and while I would be upset I can see the benefit for many players.

Right now I am using it in a "cast socketed gems when you use a skill" craft item along with offerings just to have more key bindings.
Quality on this gem gives +X% Lightning damage, but is this bonus exclusive to the skill or is it calculated as if it were an affix on a piece of gear?
Regarding binding Tempest shield to left mouse: Please make it behave as a pseudo-move only.

Currently if bound to LMB, it casts no matter what you do. Tempest shield only needs to cast every once in a while, which would make it an excellent pseudo-move only.
i need this to cast on self-harm lol
I have been playing mostly Gladiator in HC SSF but not recently as I stopped playing. The randomness of the block chance defence, which is hard to stack with all the +2% to the max requires too many skill points. The Gladiator ascendancy nodes only provide 50% of the time general block chance as they mostly provide circumstantial block chance. This leaves us with other methods to increase block chance, e.g. skill gems. Hmmm or rather a single skill gem: Tempest Shield.

My problem with this gem is that although it fits mostly Gladiator builds, it is intelligence based. I would love to see Strength based or Dexterity based skill gems that increase block chance and / or max block chance. Not circumstantially but generally. A nice and quick rework of Vengeance, Riposte, etc could go a long way.
With the changes in patch 3.16, shall not it have also aura and aoe tags like other reservation auras?
It reserves 25% mana now, but tagged only with spell, lightning and chaining yet.

Oh, and since this change, it appears on the top left as an aura, but with missing empty description.
All-time non-streamer luckless dropless rewardless tons-of-time-playing non-TFT-er 100% solo player.
So, it just turns out, we were lied to for years with the promises of a two-storied one PoE 4.0.
All these worse and worse beta leagues, all these braindead changes, all lead to this.

Tempest Shield

For start let's say that player focuses on tempest shield and want to deal moderate dmg on hit with it against bosses and mobs.

Pros:
With investment it has quite good clear possibility and damage.
It's always nice to have 25% spell block.

Cons:
Moving around meele mobs avoid hits that coud trigger Tempest Shield. This isnt a big deal beacuse you can always stop and take some hits. Or use secondary skill to deal with them while moving.

Issues:

1. Tempest shield reserve a lot of mana if suported by 5 or more support gems.

Fix idea number 1: Add to the shield mastery an node that says "Tempest shield has 100% increased mana reservation efficiency if it is supported by 5 or more support gems" or make "Convert tempest shield into temporary skill changing their Reservation to a one-time cost".

2. Tempest shield dosen't quite work with Damage over Time effects applied to the player - this is especialy seen when you have an Damage over Time boss fight and beacuse this tempest shield cannot deal moderate damage against some bosses.

Fix idea number 2: Add to the shield mastery an node that says " Tempest shield have 20% chance to trigger when player take an 300 Damage over Time from uniqe or rare enemy with 250ms cooldown."

Fix idea number 3: Add to the tempest shield an "25% chance to trigger tempest shield when you cast lightning spell."
Can someone please do sth. about the annoying sound effect when it's idle?!

It's so horribly loud - it's annoying the living heck out of me, especially when more ppl are using the thing in my hideout.

I don't like turning it off and on again, either.
Last edited by __REAPER__ on Jun 18, 2022, 7:14:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info