Tempest Shield

I agree block% should scale with level, perhaps quality too instead of dmg.

But, why wont this persist like other auras? I have to turn it on every instance.
it isn't an aura is why, it is like arctic armor, a buff that costs a reservation (except arctic armor's reserve is 0).
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
it isn't an aura is why, it is like arctic armor, a buff that costs a reservation (except arctic armor's reserve is 0).

But let's be honest: It behaves more like an aura than like anything else. I'd rather see it as an aura with 0 radius than as a buff with reservation. And unlike arctic armor which will be turned on and off, I never turn TS off. Only ever on - at the start of an instance.
I don't see how it should be a problem to implement it in a way that the buff will be reapplied on area change if it was present on leaving the previous area.
Crit happens.
Auras are area-effects that apply a Buff or Debuff (Slow Aura) to all applicable targets.
Arctic Armour is a Spell that applies a Buff to the caster.

Tempest Shield, coincidentally, is also a Spell that applies a Buff to the caster.

Skills need to be activated in an instance in order to deal damage. If TS is transferred like an Aura is, it deals no damage.
If i support TS with "Added Lightning Damage" will quality of TS gem effect on sum damage, or only on self TS damage?
"Отрастил скилл - имеешь право ногибать" СерБ
"
Radonegsky wrote:
If i support TS with "Added Lightning Damage" will quality of TS gem effect on sum damage, or only on self TS damage?
both tempest and added lightning... are lightning damage. the quality effect of tempest will work on itself and added lightning. the quality effect of added lightning works too as shock happens on crits of lightning damage OR proc chances of lightning damage.
Love Tempest Shield, wanted to make a build with a focus on it ever since I read the description in the wiki. I'm still pretty low level, just got into A3/N... but I haven't died yet!

With Elemental Proliferation it really shines, can't wait to see what it will do with Increased Critical Strikes + Lightning Penetration. The mana reserve IS a bit high for the output especially at low levels, it's really hard to see the return. But once you start stacking your Block Chance % and leveling up it really starts to ramp up.

Best way to describe TS is like a passive AoE Spell. Unfortunately that means you NEED to supplement your DPS while still remaining viably survivable. I'm currently putting as much into Block Chance, Increased Armor from Shield, and Resists as I can.

With Enduring Cry + Molten Shield you can confidently stride right in the middle of a horde and watch the procs stack and bodies explode. Very satisfying. Definitely a fun build to play (dubbed mine Tempest Guardian).

Can't wait to see how much better this build gets as I stack more Block Chance, Elemental Damage, and access to better supports and gear.

I skipped Life Leech however, in favor of DPS. Substituted with Passive HP Regen and Rejuvenation Totem for when things get hairy. Worst come to worst, I can Shield Bash my way out and heal up ready for another battle.

My end-build (If I ever get there)

Very fun build indeed :P
Please GGG, reduce mana reservation. We all love ARPGs in the dark age environment with Swords Bows and SHIELDS. This is the only Buff to shields but you can't even use it because linking it would ruin your mana so you are not able to use other auras. Compared to all other auras (which buff teammates too) this skill is a joke.

Just reduce mana reservation in the next patch and many people like me - who love shield skills - are happy. You would also enable a higher build diversity. Win-win for everyone and I am sure its very easy to implement...

Regaring your Risk & Reward system this skill should get a huge buff. You have to get hit, suceed with blocking and after that you do the damage. The risk in this case is very high (melee & need to get hit & suceed with blocking) but the reward is just a very small amount of damage and on top if it it reserves an insane amount of your mana pool if you link it.
Last edited by Supp0rtguy on Jul 2, 2013, 3:16:14 AM
"
Supp0rtguy wrote:
Compared to all other auras (which buff teammates too) this skill is a joke.

Well, Tempest Shield isn't an Aura in the first place, so comparing it to actual Auras is a little silly now isn't it.
TS is a Buff that reserves Mana (Arctic Armour does the same, but reserves zero Mana). Auras are AoEs that reserve Mana and apply a Buff to all applicable targets within range. They are entirely different mechanics.

25% isn't a large investment. People run 40% and Clarity as well, which are a fair cut above 25%. It doesn't become expensive until you start linking stuff to it, but once you start linking Supports it also becomes a whole lot more impressive (if you pick a good Support anyways).
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 2, 2013, 9:42:54 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Supp0rtguy wrote:
Compared to all other auras (which buff teammates too) this skill is a joke.

Well, Tempest Shield isn't an Aura in the first place, so comparing it to actual Auras is a little silly now isn't it.
TS is a Buff that reserves Mana (Arctic Armour does the same, but reserves zero Mana). Auras are AoEs that reserve Mana and apply a Buff to all applicable targets within range. They are entirely different mechanics.

25% isn't a large investment. People run 40% and Clarity as well, which are a fair cut above 25%. It doesn't become expensive until you start linking stuff to it, but once you start linking Supports it also becomes a whole lot more impressive (if you pick a good Support anyways).

You say its not an aura and after saying that you compare it with auras :-)

Thats exactly the point: There are 2 mechanics in the game that reserve mana. Auras and tempest shield. So there is a point from which you can compare TS with auras. From that point on you could say that tempest shield sucks compared to all auras. Linking it makes is viable for damage/utility purposes but then mana reservation becomes just to huge due to the multiplicator.

There is no need to link auras and no one would ever link an %reservation aura to make it viable but you have to do it with tempest shield. And thats the point why it sucks at the moment. A relativly low flat amount of mana reservation would fix that issue and would make it a good choise for melee chars.c
Last edited by Supp0rtguy on Jul 2, 2013, 1:14:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info