Shock Nova

I was trying to make a build based on using shock nova in melee range thanks to concentrated effect. It was a pretty big let down to find out there still is a dead zone. Perhaps with sufficient cast speed it is possible to have the playstyle to not be so clumsy, but it seems like the skill isn't statistically good enough to justify the practical downsides, concentrated effect or else. I hope progression is going to prove me wrong.
Currently working on a build around shock nova, will publish details later about it, but you need to find a way to compensate for the deadzone. In my opinion lightning warp will do the job quite well, as well as using some sort of knockback (shockwave totem)
ign:mptyspace
Please change Shock Nova back to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV-0GXCJJAA
ofcause with some changes. The animation and the no dead zone makes it seem so awsome!
"
Drizter wrote:
Please change Shock Nova back to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV-0GXCJJAA
ofcause with some changes. The animation and the no dead zone makes it seem so awsome!

No deadzone would be awesome, but the damage would have to be adjusted.

I've been looking at the numbers, and it looks like with the right focus in the skill tree, average gear and support gems, you can achieve about 5k dps with the skill and supports at level 18, with a 70% chance to shock if you get 20% quality on shock nova and added lightning damage, and by using the conductivity curse.

ign:mptyspace
Last edited by mptyspace on Apr 22, 2013, 11:30:12 AM
Worst spell in the game now...

GGG can't seem to get it right. It goes from one extreme to another with them. Best spell in the game, then they make it the worst spell in the game.
IGN: Xiandrii
Timezone: London, GMT
I was just wondering if anyone actually have a successful build with this skill?

I am a very bad player, so I do like to know if someone can show me a good way to use this skill because I did play around with other skills like Freezing Pulse/Fireball/Incinerate and this on my lv 51 witch but this just doesn't match up at all. The FP/FB/Incinerate are all regular gems with no quality while the shock nova I used is a 20% one. However, shock nova literally took me the longest time to kill the enemy because of the dead zone. I have to keep moving when I used shock nova, so it basically killed off the dmg/sec that display from the tooltip despite it being the highest.

By the way, I tried this all on the boss outside of the first town. Hilock? Forgot the name.

I tried it with 3 sockets for all those skills.
For FP, I used faster cast/Added lighting dmg/FP
For FB, I used the same except with FB
For incinerate, I used faster projectile/added lightning

for shock nova, I tried 2 type
- faster cast/added lightning dmg/sn
- faster cast/concentration

Any help would be appreciated.
Ropetus and Faerwin both made a similar Shock Nova/Ignite build separately.

I'm not surprised an AoE takes longer to kill Hillock than FP (which excels against everything; it's one of the two Best Spells), Incinerate and Fireball. They're all much better single-target killers.
What I don't understand is why they don't change shock nova to something that is fun to use whilst keeping the spirit of the skill (trying to get monsters in the outer edges of the circle). It's been done really well before, makes me think about Razor's plasma field in Dota 2 and how it's an expanding lightning circle that does more damage if it passes through a unit whilst it is larger.

Spoiler

Releases a wave of energetic plasma that grows in power as it expands, but also zaps on contraction, dealing damage to enemy units caught in its path. Damage increases with distance from Razor.
Radius: 795
Minimum Damage: 180
Maximum Damage: 370

An example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3wvYOe_TxFY

Not that I'm saying they should just remake this skill but at the moment shock nova:
- Does random damage from so it can hit like a wet noodle or dominate
- Does a smallish ring that due to constant server/client side desync (which is how these games work) makes it hitting random and unreliable
- Shocks unreliably for unreliable damage

Something needs to be done to make the skill more reliable, because as it is, its damage is nice but its terribly unreliable.
Just tested this skill. All I can say is its frustrating.

Skill needs adjustment for the deadzone. Either eliminate it and change the damage, or increase the sweet spot significantly. Desync is another problem with this skill as monster positioning is key. As of right now there are too many skills that are reliable options that deal reliable damage not to mention other beneficial factors or effects that make this gem absolutely worthless in its current form.
Last edited by Menacetech on May 12, 2013, 4:47:59 PM
Please remove the dead zone for this skill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info