Shock Nova

Sorry for the long rambling, previous feedback made after being a bit too salty with deaths in t12-14s and not really thought out.

The main problem with Shock nova imo, is that the damage is really lacking that it requires Intensify and concentrated effect supports to deal enough single target for bossing. But if i swap out intensify and conc effect support to increase the nova/ring aoe, the damage still sucks for mapping. Shock nova is stuck in some middle range uncanny valley, where the big aoe damage is lacking yet at the same time the close range damage is not that good for single target. I really dislike gem swapping especially for mapping then bossing but I've never done so with shock nova because it's dps is not enough to kill rares in a "safe" manner with mapping supports and the damage from the rings. So my suggestion is to do something interesting with the ring part of shock nova. Like have the skill be based around nova/single target for rares and map bosses and have the ring do the same as now but offer some kind of mechanic?

One of my favorite mechanics currently is shock nova+ orb of storms, and seeing the attacks from orb of storms going all over the place. But that's a nova part of the skill + orb of storms for close range interaction. I've ran duo 6 link orb of storm and shock nova interactions with orb of storm being utility stuff like innervate/power charge generator to having it being pure dps alongside shock nova. So I don't think adding another skill for 3rd mechanic with the ring part of shock nova would be a good idea, it will be getting clunky on gem links like the ED then contagion, oh and single target don't forget blight, where it felt a bit limited on other utility/aura gems because I used 2 6 links and a 4 link on ed,contagion and blight.

So yeah my thought out opinion on shock nova is, it's single target is lacking that Intesify and conc effect is necessary. The ring damage is not good enough to go replacing the two above for mapping gems, so it's better overall to just stick to intesify and conc effect even for mapping, but then the mapping is not safe. I find orb of storms + shock nova's nova interaction to be very pleasing and best part of the shock nova, and I think something interesting mechanic should be added to the ring part of shock nova, at least to some benefit for mapping utility/safety or in that direction.

Edit: also updated my ideal lvl 95 shock nova inquisitor build https://pastebin.com/j2Hk7V1N
+200k dps and same ehp and 10% block and spell block added!. Fixing the passive tree in-game for my lvl 90 has made t13s tolerable even with the agnerod staff. Annoiting prodigal perfection seems to be the best cheapest option for the build. I still dislike the heavy investment to do red maps and so far I've done 10 t15/16s all with 3+ portal deaths. Still running agnerod staff and in theory when I upgrade to my 6 exalt crafted staff the dps should be enough to survive those maps. Also the multimodded staff from legion league i made for shock nova is actually weaker than the one I'm making for the current character by 30k dps. . . So I guess +3 level of all lightning gems is a very strong mod for staffs. I still feel the investment to have the skill to be ablet o do t15-16s to be too high for 0 benefits, I bet a lot of the "meta" builds can reach 4mil+ dps with similar/better ehp and defences for half the exalts invested.
Last edited by Zenos456 on Jan 4, 2020, 2:39:33 PM
Hello

I'm a fellow Shock Nova player, among the other 3 people using it.
I love it, it's very fun, the clear speed is great, and the action time for casting it faster than the one on Arc.

BUT

it has a downsize: just the outer nova gives the good amount of damage!
The inner and outer circles are basically useless without a good amount of damage put in! Because most melee mobs will chase you till your demise, you CAN'T outrun them to position properly for the nova hit, and that's why my suggestion:

Change the nova ring

Insted of being in the middle layer, put it in the inner
It will be dangerous for for the player? Yes, because you basically are in front of mobs, but it will be rewarding with the +50% damage

Another way to improve this spell, is to change the area of effect scaling

instead of getting a larger area, just enlarge the area of the nova, while maintaining a fixed area for the whole skill

Hoping this will be took in consideration despite grammatical errors
In its standard configuration this spell is melee range. The damage output is obscene and the middle ring is guaranteed to shock, TWICE. But the spell cannot stand on its own, as the caster will get stunlocked by all but the slowest zombies.

When combined with range boosters and Three Dragons this spell becomes ridiculously effective. The middle ring is guaranteed to freeze, TWICE.
Add in Herald of Ice and now the whole screen starts to carpet bomb itself.

With my scion Elementalist Slayer this spell reaches beyond the edge of the screen. And because of the AoE chain reactions it shoots around corners.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info