Shock Nova

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.4 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Jan 5, 2023, 6:25:11 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
"
oldboy wrote:
Ok i'am testing it right now, but i want to know something please

Can you detail the damage calculation, i mean inside the "ring" of lightning, is it random or what ?
skill looks rly better :)

There's no damage scaling on distance anymore - things within the ring area take the listed damage, things not within the ring area (including in the open part in the centre) take not damage). Much simpler.
Yes. Reduced by their resistances.
"
bennyr wrote:
(damage is random everywhere it hits).
This was always the case. The old nova just scaled the damage range down based on distance, it never removed the damage roll.
"
bennyr wrote:
Just to make sure I understand, the old nova even at max range could still roll the lowest damage amount shown on the skill?
Yes. If the old shock nova said (making up numbers) "deals 200 - 4000 lightning damage" then that was the range in which damage was rolled at the exact outer edge of it.
At 50% of the range, a 50% (multiplicative) damage penalty was applied, so it would effectively deal 100 - 2000 lightning damage to targets halfway between you and the outer edge.
Targets right next to you took no damage due to a -100% damage penalty, although in practice there was usually a little distance between everything - even melee attacks have range.

New shock nova has no such penalty to it's damage based on distance.
"
MDragoon wrote:
"
bennyr wrote:
Yea, not sure what else to say. I don't feel like shock nova is viable to the average player. I won't go into a ton of detail because I don't need a lecture on my passive layout or my terrible gear and 0% quality gems, but I'll say this much at least... I can make it through chaos in relative safety with spark, and I can't do that with shock nova. Blame it on my lack of skill/gear/passives/whatever, but that's the fact, and it doesn't look like I'm the only one.

ran some dps calculations on spark recently, it looks like Elemental damage and spell damage are stacking multiplicatively instead of additively, this may be causing incorrect DPS numbers for a large amount of skills in the game. not sure if GGG is aware of this at the moment.
quoting response from other thread:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
There are both multiplicative and additive modifiers to damage.

Any stat described as "x% increased ??? damage" (or "reduced") is additive with all other "increased" (or "reduced") stats affecting that damage.

Any stat described as "x% more ??? damage" (or "less") is multiplicative with other modifiers to that damage.
Additive increases are stacking additively, and multiplicative ones are stacking multiplicatively.
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
"
rlpowell wrote:
A dev at http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/28339/page/2 implied that using the AoE size increase passives with shock nova would affect both the outer size *and* the inner "no damage" size, which means that it gets *harder* to use as you put points in that passive. That seems not cool, so I wanted to point it out here.

-Robin
I see no dev post in that thread, but regardless, that is correct, and intended Increased radius increases the radius.

Whether that makes it "harder to use" depends on how you're trying to use it and how hard you find that. It increases the area over which the spell deals damage, but that area will be a bit further from you.
"
rlpowell wrote:
Oh. There was a large, authoritative-sounding post by someone named "Programmer", so....
Ah, I see. A name is just a name. Us devs post in gold, so you can tell who we are that way.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info