Shock Nova

Just tried to make this my primary damage dealer as a level 86 Iron Will battle mage.

The damage is decent (mediocre) but the dead zone makes this absolutely impossible to use for anything other than stacking shock. Please remove the dead zone or completely redsign this skill!

The fact that monsters might not be the same locaiton on your client as on the server (desync) makes it even worse, you cannot even aim it reliably.
I agree with the above post. Dead zone makes it so hard to play using this skill as a main skill.

Even when Shock Nova is linked to Concentrated Effect, bringing the lightning closer to you, melee enemies can still attack you from inside the dead zone. The lightning looks like it hits them, but it deals no damage. Very unreliable when aiming.

The only good thing about Shock Nova is shock stacking. That pretty much kills it for me.
It can't be used as an attacking skill the way I hoped it could.

I vote for a buff.
Last edited by Fatto on Aug 4, 2013, 10:00:27 AM
"
Fatto wrote:
I agree with the above post. Dead zone makes it so hard to play using this skill as a main skill.

Even when Shock Nova is linked to Concentrated Effect, bringing the lightning closer to you, melee enemies can still attack you from inside the dead zone. The lightning looks like it hits them, but it deals no damage. Very unreliable when aiming.

The only good thing about Shock Nova is shock stacking. That pretty much kills it for me.
It can't be used as an attacking skill the way I hoped it could.

I vote for a buff.

I really hate that and it sucks... if the zone where it really hits and damage enemys would be like ice nova. But like this the skill is totally unuseable for game, even for docks in normal diff.

If they really change it i could live with a dmg nerf but it must hit all enemys around and by you, so the skill would be usefull even for endgame (if theres not a too big dmg nerf)
❝ Wraeclast SAIN†S ❞
I built a character around Shock Nova and the dead zone made the skill extremely tedious to use, especially in act 3 where most mobs close in fast on you.

Move, fire, move, fire, try to keep things in the kill doughnut, desync kicks-in and the mobs are not where they're supposed to be...

I've tried things such as knockback and shockwave totem to keep mobs in the kill zone, but despite some success, I stoped and asked myself why I was going through all this BS when I could switch to a spell that works on its own.

I strongly suggest removing the dead zone.

Last edited by Thalandor on Sep 13, 2013, 4:58:08 PM
the "dead zone" needs to be removed for this to be at all useful
EVERYBODY MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THIS OUT!
And I quote this exactly from our msging. A LITTLE INSIGHT FROM A DEV (RORY)
btw start reading from bottom of spoiler up.
Spoiler
Sent: July 21, 2013 10:29 PM
To: fadingg1ory

Soon! It's on my list of skills I want to return to their former glory.
Message History
Re: SHOCK NOVA
from Rory
on July 21, 2013 10:29 PM

Soon! It's on my list of skills I want to return to their former glory.
SHOCK NOVA
to Rory
on July 18, 2013 6:02 PM

Rory,
I used to love using shock nova back in the unfortunately it is not fun to use no more because of the dead zone. When do you think this will be updated so the skill is viable again>

Heres another Enjoy
Spoiler
Sent: June 26, 2013 5:40 PM
To: fadingg1ory

Haha thanks fading! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, it's been pretty busy here recently!

We're looking at a few options for the skill, anything from an entire rework to returning it to the old damage based on distance system. The real problem with the skill at the moment seems to be the situations when you're very slightly out of sync - Even if it does crazy damage, looking like you're going to hit someone then missing them because they're a little closer to you just doesn't feel good! We'll have to have some more discussions before we can decide how we want to proceed with the skill, so I can't give you any conclusive answer yet!
Message History
Re: SHOCK NOVA?
from Rory
on June 26, 2013 5:40 PM

Haha thanks fading! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, it's been pretty busy here recently!

We're looking at a few options for the skill, anything from an entire rework to returning it to the old damage based on distance system. The real problem with the skill at the moment seems to be the situations when you're very slightly out of sync - Even if it does crazy damage, looking like you're going to hit someone then missing them because they're a little closer to you just doesn't feel good! We'll have to have some more discussions before we can decide how we want to proceed with the skill, so I can't give you any conclusive answer yet!
to Rory
on June 25, 2013 8:52 PM

Nice, it was a nice touch to the game when it was viable.. thank you so much for msging me also wow. GGG definitely has very good devs.
from Rory
on June 25, 2013 8:44 PM

Hey fadingg1ory,

This skill is on our list to fix up! I'm hoping we'll be able to improve some skills for 0.11.2
SHOCK NOVA?
to Rory
on June 12, 2013 9:45 PM

Is their any hope for this skill soon? CAN WE PLEASE GET A DEADZONE REDUCITON!!
IGN getrichquicky
Last edited by fadingg1ory on Sep 23, 2013, 6:26:00 PM
Thanks for the info fadingg1ory!
nvm
DEADLIFTS = LIFE
@huge_quads is my ign
Last edited by HUGE_QUADS on Oct 9, 2013, 9:28:08 AM
"Both Shock Nova and Arc are skills I'd love to change mechanically to fit the game better. You're right that being out of sync makes Shock Nova unusable, so we'll probably change the way the skill works entirely.

I can't give you exact details on our plans yet, but know that once 1.0.0 is out and there aren't so many urgent changes that need to be made, I'll be spending time making sure these skills get the love they deserve." - Rory GGG
I'd love it if the skill was like the Plasma Field used by Razor in Dota 2. Ring slowly grows outwards then retracts, hitting enemies twice.

Then, add the new Far Shot mechanic into the skill, so it's even more like plasma field :)
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info