Shock Nova

"
thats the illusion, most of that dps is wasted because you almost never hit monsters in best possible distance

Slightly less than max range = most DPS lost?

"
doesnt change the fact I took all the "good" passives and im now left with wand dmg or criticals nods which do close to nothing for nova, doesnt look like good design for me

Did you take all three major +lightning damage clusters? The +45% shocked duration by the MiniOns Explode?

Did you take all the +cast speed stuff?

Did you take the Templar's starting position caster package?

By my count, that will take an about 68-70 level Witch that ignored all spell critical related passives. I am going to call shenanigans on the claim that you ran out of passives to work with.

"
i dont know how thats even counterargument to what i've wrote, nova with 2support gems costs still as much as other skills with 4-5 which is pretty much

Which support gems, what is your mana cost with SN, what is your cast speed. In other words, what is your mana drain per second.

It's a counter-argument because Shock Nova damage output is high enough to warrant a higher cost.

"

got them all except kb which im not really keen on using because my mana cost increase to the amount im not comfortable with

So, wait, is the mana cost 'uncomfortable' or un-viable? All high damage output spell centric Witch casting is going to be incredibly uncomfortable to use because of how the flasks are currently designed.
Last edited by konfeta on Dec 10, 2011, 12:03:25 PM
This skill is still ridiculously overpowered, I hope you guys at GGG are aware of that. There's just no other spell that comes even close, at any level range. Heck, even when you are trying to build a witch around another skill you would in most cases be better off using shock nova, even without a single point in light dmg.

Keeping fast enemies at bay is easily done with frost wall (+increased duration) and minions, slow enemies get slaughtered without the wall.

You just can't have an AOE spell that 360° auto-hits the whole screen without any aiming but still does about half as much dps as the best single target skills. There was a reason the D2 shock nova range was tiny.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Dec 10, 2011, 12:41:56 PM
I fully agree with dust7. This skill is still way too strong. Foremost reason being ridiculous AoE, it makes concentrated effect so easy to use and get further dps
-> ridiculous damage output because most of the time you don't need to aim at an enemy group or something, you just can spam that shit, if you don't lag out or act stupid, you won't get hit 4/5 times.
Compared to Ice Nova, this is way too good. You get to do waaaay more damage, and still have a bigger area of effect. My suggestion would be to (exponentially or something, you'll figure it out) decrease the AoE after it has hit the first enemy, so you just can't nuke everything in sight.
Last edited by Helionova on Dec 10, 2011, 12:57:49 PM
Just nerf the damage until it is only good against groups of 15+ enemies. Currently shock nova outperforms any other spell as soon as there are two enemies not standing next to each other.

Or drastically nerf the damage output when an enemy is not at max range. Because 1/2 of max range is still good dps and 2/3 of max range is sufficient to slaughter everyting. A crit at max range destroys worlds.
Last edited by dust7 on Dec 10, 2011, 12:56:14 PM
"
konfeta wrote:

Slightly less than max range = most DPS lost?

i used wrong word should write a lot

"
konfeta wrote:

Did you take all three major +lightning damage clusters? The +45% shocked duration by the MiniOns Explode?

Did you take all the +cast speed stuff?

Did you take the Templar's starting position caster package?

By my count, that will take an about 68-70 level Witch that ignored all spell critical related passives. I am going to call shenanigans on the claim that you ran out of passives to work with.

yes i took all dmg, fcr and aoe clusters available even from the 6th class and no im not interested in chasing all the minion passives to make a summoner from my witch i use them more like a distraction while i kill monsters, the current gain on this skill from critical nods seems to be meaningless which is pissing me off

"
konfeta wrote:

Which support gems, what is your mana cost with SN, what is your cast speed. In other words, what is your mana drain per second.

92 mana per cast with 16% quality conc effect + faster cast
2.64 cast per second ~243 mana/s

"
konfeta wrote:

So, wait, is the mana cost 'uncomfortable' or un-viable? All high damage output spell centric Witch casting is going to be incredibly uncomfortable to use because of how the flasks are currently designed.

read edit of my previous post I explained it.

people saying it still outperforms single target spells need to build their chars better
IGN Crakk
Last edited by maryn on Dec 10, 2011, 1:33:10 PM
"
maryn wrote:
people saying it still outperforms single target spells need to build their chars better

Who said that?

The problem with nova is that it outperforms any other skill as soon as you are not dealing with a single enemy.

'Luckily' most light witches have access to multi spark, which happens to be the best single target spell.
Last edited by dust7 on Dec 10, 2011, 1:42:06 PM
"
dust7 wrote:
"
maryn wrote:

Who said that?

The problem with nova is that it outperforms any other skill as soon as you are not dealing with a single enemy.

so wait are you saying that single target spells are superior but nova becomes OP vs 2 opponents?
pretty ridiculous claim considering how almost every spell can basically become aoe with multi projectile gem
IGN Crakk
I explained it more carefully in my previous post, but here for the third time:

I am saying that single target spells are best versus single enemies (duh) and Nova ist the best skill in the game as soon as there is more than one enemy, and not all the enemy are in close vicinity to each other (so you can not hit them all with a multi fireball or whatever), which covers 90% of encounters.
"
yes i took all dmg, fcr and aoe clusters available even from the 6th class and no im not interested in chasing all the minion passives to make a summoner from my witch i use them more like a distraction while i kill monsters, the current gain on this skill from critical nods seems to be meaningless which is pissing me off

You are way over leveled then if you truly took all of these. Regular divine Flasks aren't designed to sustain a level 60+ pure spellcaster build.

"
92 mana per cast with 16% quality conc effect + faster cast
2.64 cast per second ~243 mana/s

My Fireball is 101 mana per cast with 2.68 cast per second. I manage just fine.

Acquire this set of flasks:

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

It's a dirty trick, it feels very spammy, but its the only way I know off to sustain a truly constant wave of damage with 200-300+ mana per second expenditure spells.

If you truly ran out of passives to get, pick up Templar's -10% mana cost and find the +Flask recovery passives. It should be a noticeable efficiency swing for such a high mana cost spell, but you will still probably need instant recovery flasks.
Last edited by konfeta on Dec 10, 2011, 4:40:01 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
You can use this skill to kill enemies on a cliff above you. Intended?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info