WHY PUNISH PEOPLE FOR DYING?

Dying needs to matter. Only case where it shouldn't delete the whole exp bar is pinnacle boss fights imo. That's a bit harsh i think, since dying only 2-3 times when going for the 3rd or 4th voidstone early in the league is pretty succesfull for the real gamers that tackle those bosses on their own and not chicken out and trade for their voidstones.

If you are lvl 96+ you should consider an Omen of Amelioration btw. Dying costs 30-50 chaos in that case. For me that is a no brainer compared to the exp loss.
"
Nomancs wrote:
Your point?

Alright then Exile.

I felt the thread was becoming too Antagonistic for such a simple feedback, The guy doesn't like it and that's fine but people are attacking their character over it just for expressing a preference.

So i said that hoping at least a couple people would read it and maybe tone it down a bit, we're here to discuss stuff not shut down conversations we don't like right??

I would vote against removing the xp penalty, i'd even make it harder in some ways but i would also add systems to alleviate it just like my concept for the consumable items to stop some of the exp lost on death became a reality there are many ways to accomplish the same goal and offer relief from it while keeping it a valid element of the game offering some measure of competition even though we have long since left the real racing days behind us.
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on Aug 11, 2024, 4:58:09 PM
"
"
Nomancs wrote:
Your point?

Alright then Exile.

I felt the thread was becoming too Antagonistic for such a simple feedback, The guy doesn't like it and that's fine but people are attacking their character over it just for expressing a preference.

But no one attacked anyone character here, and pointing out why exp on death is good from some game perspective is not antagonistic in any way, or is it now?

At this point you're starting a witch hunt over something that didn't had place.
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
Last edited by Nomancs on Aug 11, 2024, 5:12:51 PM
[Removed by Support] Yes Diablo had death penalties you know what else it had a damage cap so the boss i killed today was the same a week from now these people dont keep the damage the same the whole week ! You ask people to play your game yet you keep moving the goal posts and your FANS keep acting like what you upset cause the game change since yesterday ? You charge for death fine then make the game balanced and keep it that way dont give me a super bad guy I have never seen before in a closed room who almost insta kills me and then tell me it is my fault ! doesnt matter as long as it is free cool I will play as me for some money after seeing how you treat your players I will give you nothing !
Last edited by Whai_GGG on Aug 11, 2024, 5:34:44 PM
OP doesn't "truly" remember the games he played when he was younger. Every title he named had far more severe penalties, whether they were time-based penalties or resource penalties, or just straight up permanent deaths. Even games that were actually IN the arpg genre (and not mmorpg-like) had far worse penalties as many mentioned.

Waypoints in rpgs and arpgs were few and far between, meaning a single death could set you back potentially days of game time. Other penalties included permanent loss of gear, items, levels, party members, you name it.

It is simply pure "convenience" that folks continue to feign obliviousness of how games used to be before the absolutely tame 6-portal, temporary exp loss, non-deleveling punishment that PoE has.

Doesn't matter what his character is like, doesn't really even matter what his "opinion" is....he is factually incorrect in his defense and reasoning. It stopped being an opinion when he compared the exp penalty to previous titles he played...with no factual basis.

I could tell you all that I hate blue cars because they don't drive as fast as red cars, even though back in the day they did. That is an opinion, but it isn't genuine, correct, or based in reality. And I would deserve to be called out for it.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Aug 11, 2024, 5:34:43 PM
"
auspexa wrote:
on the contrary, I think the penalty for dying in sc should be much more severe, it means basically nothing at the moment until about level 97.

it should be possible to lose levels by dying, we should lose some gold for every death, ALL monsters in a map should be back to full life when we die, the map mod pool should have mods that make the monsters more difficult for each player death in the area, and the atlas should have a keystone that causes the map device to open the maps with only one portal, but with increased rewards.

GGG should do anything they can to get rid of all the zhp, 6 portal zoomer builds

I agree with you completely

I am convinced that it would help in the long run

Later it would be much easier for them to balance the game thanks to what you wrote

of course if they did it, but they probably won't
Death penalty would've been fine if the game was stable, with clear view, with floating damage numbers, and without crazy damage variance on monsters within same maps. It has little to do with player skill, OP should know that 5% loss will become 10% later on, and unless you completely dominate this game by building trivializing defenses against every type of threat possible, you will die, matter of time. Omens also don't work for poor player who cannot buy them reliably.
The game has gotten way easier for levelling as well, has it not? Maps are basically infinite and can be juiced up for next to nothing. Access to an atlas that buffs map density and drops in the maps. Sulphite is extremely easy to get. Eldritch alters. There is access to more higher level zones. Builds are more powerful. Omens protect death and xp loss. Defenses have improved. Some things have gotten harder like mob difficulty, but I don't think that cancels out all the above.
Last edited by Belegur85 on Aug 11, 2024, 7:04:19 PM
"
Echothesis wrote:
It has little to do with player skill

Oh there's a lot of skill involved just with the way you play. You can jump semi afk from one pack to another and eat all the ground aoes at the same time and perhaps even get a shotgun load of projectiles right into your face cause you don't pay attention or you could just play more cautious and pay attention to your surroundings. Later part is very important for those who already refuse to build any defensive layers at all.

I mean people did Ubers hitless on low level characters back when it was possible to fight those early on. So not only your own gear and character optimization is nothing but some skill but also the way you play is skill.

But I see a pattern with people running around on a glass cannon build with barely to no defensive layers at all resulting them to go all scree once they start to hit a wall only to blame the game for it instead of their own choices.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Dying encourages people to improve, that's it. People don't need to be treated like children with punishments to convince them they need to improve. Death exp penalty encourages challenge avoidance and repetitive longer gameplay.

It also discourages creative build self experimentation and encourages build copying and archetype mixing for fear of getting a bad build that can't advance. Like many other things in the game such as artificial scarcity and RNG, it makes the game easier and longer by trying to make it harder.

It's just bad game design that the creators can't put themselves to admit was a mistake, like many other old stuff that's in the game since the beginning. Like the need of identifying and portal scrolls, no item sorting, extreme item quantity and RNG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info