WHY PUNISH PEOPLE FOR DYING?

Firstly, im an older person past my 60's.
My reactions are not as quick as they used to be when I was younger.
But saying that, I fail to see the point in punishing anyone with a lost of experience for dying after level 60?
Please explain the point of this.
It's supposed to be a game to enjoy playing, not getting upset because you can't beat a yellow mini-boss who regenerates faster than you can dps.
I do enjoy playing these types of games such as Diablo series and Last Epoch but neither of those 2 punish their players by deleting 5% of their hard earned experience.
Why do you? Please explain
Last bumped on Aug 16, 2024, 10:59:56 PM
If you are past your 60s you should have grown up with other games where the punishment for failing was way worse than here though? Many of the console/handheld games i've played in my youth had a simple "game over" followed by a restart from the beginning as punishment at some point if you failed multiple times or in some cases, after failing just once.

A game where you can't fail is ultimately boring because your decisions don't matter. No matter what you do, you'll win anyway so it's not interesting. A punishment for failure is necessary. Whether the way it's implemented in this game is the ideal form is a different topic but that's not your argument here.

You getting mad about it is your own issue. If you can't beat a boss you should be old enough to just take a step back, log off and do something else for the time being. Or alternatively, just leave the boss be and move on with the game.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
If you are past your 60s you should have grown up with other games where the punishment for failing was way worse than here though?
Never played a console, as I was working I could afford a good pc. I started with a 486/dx66 which cost me $3500 as it had a 420mb hdd. Arcade games are very different to RPG games which is my point. Sure, if you want to play Arcade games then after you die 3 times that's it. But even the old RPG D&D Games, like Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, Neverwinter Nights, Temple of EE, Balder's Gate to name but a few, none of which took your xp for dying. This isnt an Arcade game, so I'd like an explanation from the DEV's about why they think its a good mechanic. Tonight, I was over half way to level 74, by the time I logged off earlier tonight to play another game, I had 0xp for my 3 hours of playtime or basically, wasted time, since all my xp was removed for trying to beat difficult bosses.
The devs don't have a good reason they just do it.

Way back when this game was in early access there wasn't an endgame really. They surely felt that without a death penatly people would finish their game quickly.

Their goal at the time was to make an eternal game, a forever game. I don't think they wanted players reaching the level cap at all.

I think is a bad design choice which pushes players away. At some point it just burns players out.

Maybe it will change one day because they also said they would never do an auction house or currency exchange and they just added one to the league.

They said relatively recently they know what gamers will accept and not accept in terms of design. I am pretty sure the death penatly will be removed one day.
You say this isn't arcade game, but this is not rpg game either, more like arpg, and no, when you died in baldurs gate it was game over, if your team member died, he could perma die. Funny you didn't mentioned diablo from that time, as it also had penalties.

death penalty tells you you're playing wrong or your build is bad. It is to not trivialize everything and just yolo the game. For death to have some meaning. For level 100 to have some meaning. This is supposed to be harder game.

Bad players will pat you on your back and say "it is their fault, not yours", but nah, you can beat it, and when you do, it will feel great.
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
Last edited by Nomancs on Aug 9, 2024, 12:07:39 PM
There are many reasons why a death penalty is necessary. For one, if you didn't lose XP upon dying, you would reach level 100 by just grinding enough maps, juicing them to infinity and not caring about losing a few portals along the way. It takes away a significant amount of challenge reaching high levels. It takes away from the accomplishment of actually hitting level 100. It takes even more incentive away from building a balanced character with both offense and defence. It shows you weaknesses your character may have, or punish bad piloting.

I challenge you to come up with an alternative punishment for dying. Let's discuss that.
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
Something is telling me OP won't like PoE2 full boss restart on failure.
All my energy goes to farm DW Daggers! BUFF MELEE!!1!1
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

I challenge you to come up with an alternative punishment for dying. Let's discuss that.

Pay to win.
Many games do that and frankly its very satisfying to spend a few dollars to give yourself an advantage over younger/better players who play games like this all day, I don't, but again, my 3 hours of gameplay was wasted today because I couldn't beat the boss without dying. Most people want a reasonable but winnable challenge without having to resort to someone else's "Build" as this feels like its not your own character. For some real world money a powerful item could be bought and it cannot be traded once bought, which would mean as you level you would need to buy more powerful and exceptional items. They dont need to be $100 each but many people would buy items like this which support the game to give themselves an advantage over difficult monsters, as not everyone has 5 friends who are all level 100.
"
Malpherion wrote:
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

Pay to win.
Many games do that and frankly its very satisfying to spend a few dollars to give yourself an advantage over younger/better players who play games like this all day, I don't, but again, my 3 hours of gameplay was wasted today because I couldn't beat the boss without dying. Most people want a reasonable but winnable challenge without having to resort to someone else's "Build" as this feels like its not your own character. For some real world money a powerful item could be bought and it cannot be traded once bought, which would mean as you level you would need to buy more powerful and exceptional items. They dont need to be $100 each but many people would buy items like this which support the game to give themselves an advantage over difficult monsters, as not everyone has 5 friends who are all level 100.

Maybe you should look for a more casual ARPG then, because GGG's stance on pay2win is firm. China client has it because Tencent manages it, but thank God we'll likely never see the introduction of blatant p2w in our version of the game.

Torchlight Infinite, Last Epoch or Diablo IV might be more 'respectful' of your gaming time
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Aug 9, 2024, 3:19:56 PM
The death exp penalty is there to artificially force you play a single character for a longer time. Whether by dying or avoiding death by repeating easy content over and over.

There is a lot of really good ideas in this game mixed in with incredibly bad ones that break what could have been an incredible arpg experience. The bad ones always have the same common theme: force players to play for longer, sell that forced longer time as a "harder" play, as if time was a skill. And it works, unfortunately.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info