WHY PUNISH PEOPLE FOR DYING?

it's a learning tool to make you improve.

If dying had no consequence then you would just zerg rush content (though portals prevent over use of that method)

You are intended to die, and feel bad about it (because exp penalty) you then should be looking at your character or the content you are running and trying to figure out what killed you and if you can over come it or avoid it.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
askreet wrote:
All this free XP exists if you're an expert at the game. Myself, I've only got 1000 hours in it, so when I pop at level 94 it takes me a good 30 minutes to get that time back. I think it's a fair penalty, and an incentive to improve.

So why do you not see that as an opportunity to become better at the game?
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
Exiles, You need to accept that not everyone from the older days of gaming appreciates harsh penalties and that they are not a good thing in all cases.
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on Aug 11, 2024, 3:47:31 PM
"
Exiles, You need to accept that not everyone from the older days of gaming appreciates harsh penalties and that they are not a good thing in all cases.

And not all games need to be as simple as watching a movie, like diablo 3.5 is. Your point?
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
Also the xp penatly does nothing to help players improve.

For example hypothetical player a dies, opens pob, deep dives his defenses,makes changes to get more phys reduction. Maybe since more phys as ele.

Dies again, opens pob and sees he isn't chaos res capped.

Dies again, caps suppression, gets more suppressed damage

Dies again, gets another endurance charge.

This could continue forever.

But did this actually teach anything. The game will find a way to kill players no matter how much defense they have.

At best we can only guess as to what kills us. If ggg wants players to learn from dying the answer is a combat log and training dummy. Removing xp is just rude.

"
roundishcap wrote:

For example hypothetical player a dies, opens pob, deep dives his defenses,makes changes to get more phys reduction. Maybe since more phys as ele.

But did this actually teach anything. The game will find a way to kill players no matter how much defense they have.

At best we can only guess as to what kills us. If ggg wants players to learn from dying the answer is a combat log and training dummy. Removing xp is just rude.

Most people can learn from that. And no, amount of defense does matter.

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
Last edited by Nomancs on Aug 11, 2024, 4:00:50 PM
"
roundishcap wrote:

Some do learn out of their deaths and make improvements to their character and gameplay, some don't. The later part could always try to get better themselves or simply play a different game if they can't accept that a death penalty exist for good reason or just deal with it that they hit a wall after a certain point.
No gain no pain

Not every game these days need to feed the instant gratification all over the place by making every aspect of the game as easy as possible by allowing players to cheese everything.

I'm honestly already existed about the death penalty in PoE2 and how they made it that you can't death rush boss fights or cheese your 6 portals to refill flasks. PoE1 also needs something like this as it gets rid of the 6 portal glass cannon heroes.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Aug 11, 2024, 4:15:37 PM
"
roundishcap wrote:

This is completely flawed thinking. Where do you draw the line? Seems arbitrary or nonexistent.

The argument you have here suggests that no matter how many defenses you have the game will still find a way to kill you.

Which if you believe this and actually want to stay consistent, then you should build 0 defenses and stay - res. Defenses don't matter right? So dont build any.

All I have to do to disprove this as well, is point to several thousands of hardcore characters and ask how they manage to accomplish level 100. Not even mentioning how many restrictions those people are under as well.

"
roundishcap wrote:

This depends on the person, and if they are willing to put aside their ego and maybe think they did not build their character correctly. Or may have overlooked something.

"
roundishcap wrote:

Im neither for or against a combat log. But dying and just trying again with spam and no downside would be a horrible change. Level 100 is an accomplishment regardless of what method you use to get it.
"Just goes to show your complete lack of knowledge on the matter. If you had any actual experience with melee" -Melee "Expert"
"
Nomancs wrote:
"

And not all games need to be as simple as watching a movie, like diablo 3.5 is. Your point?

Sarcasm? or do you genuinely not get the point?
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on Aug 11, 2024, 4:19:15 PM
"
"
Nomancs wrote:
"

Sarcasm? or do you genuinely not get the point?

Do you need me to elaborate more?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info