Molten Strike

"
dewitup24 wrote:
How does MS work when multiple hits strike the target in terms of stacking status effects? IE. If I am wearing The Three Dragons mask and land a critical with my melee strike and then my critical strike fire balls land hitting the initial target with 2 out of the three will he have 3 stacks of Shock or 1?

This is assuming that since critical strike rolls only happen once per action and thus a critical strike from the melee swing guarantees the projectiles will crit as well.
unless i misread 1.2 patch notes, shock no longer has stacks, its just a 50%.
But technically they'd have three stacks. Only one of them is in effect, but the rest tick down as well in case they last longer.
(the Shock from the Melee Hit starts notably sooner, so it's especially relevant here)

Crits are rolled per activation, but each Hit rolls their own Accuracy checks. The regular to-Hit roll is obvious enough, but there's also Crit Confirm. A Crit that passes the initial to-Hit check must pass the check a second time, or be downgraded to a regular Hit.

If you have spectacularly bad Accuracy, it's entirely possible to roll a Crit but land only regular Hits :P
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 23, 2014, 7:23:47 AM
Please GGG, add the damage per hit of a projectil of molten strike in the tooltips.

calculating the damage per ball is awfull !
Is it me, or does it seem like it is way to easy to hit the floor rather than the monster with molten strike? Seems like if your off even the a tad, the only damage will be from the fire, since the initial direct hit misses.

Also How does Molten Strike work with mulistrike? Will it more often then than not just target the ground, rather than a monster?
Molten Strike needs readjustment. The initial hit + the projectiles is way too powerful.

It beats reave,cyclone,leap slam, cleave in every possible way in terms of DPS. GG
Race? Season points? Nah. Not my thing.
"
Molten Strike needs readjustment. The initial hit + the projectiles is way too powerful.

It beats reave,cyclone,leap slam, cleave in every possible way in terms of DPS. GG

I'm not entirely sure why you're comparing a hybrid DPS skill to two pure AoE skills, a CC while moving skill, and most bizarrely, a purely movement skill (this is like wondering why arc outperforms lightning warp).

I personally dislike cyclone, so I don't really have the knowledge to compare the two, and comparing leap slam to a non-movement skill is patently ridiculous.

MS scales very well with a lot of different supports, but seems most impressive in an elemental build designed for close range AoE. In this case, I will admit that cleave is disappointing by comparison. However, I find cleave to be a poor DPS skill no matter what it's compared to, so I'm not sure what your point is with respect to MS in particular.

The only interesting comparison is with reave. Reave also scales fairly nicely with both melee and AoE, and begins with a relatively similar range. However, with reave, it is often better to favour speed and effect radius, in order to make the 8 stack reaves particularly large, to the point where reave can hit everything anywhere near you. With this in mind, while for close quarters combat molten strike is definitely superior, when confronted with a huge number of mobs (where AoE matters more) I'd take reave every day of the week. So in this case, I think you're wrong, reave is better for real AoE, MS for the more direct jump-in-and-hit-it-in-the-face, but one is hardly better than the other "in every possible way"

tl;dr: it's dumb to compare MS to cyclone or leap slam, cleave is often not a great DPS skill, and reave is actually better for huge packs or kiting.

PS: try comparing MS to, say, melee splash Glacial Hammer. It does a bit more damage, but with a lot less CC. Very different in how you build the character, though.
Is the crit chance from the projectiles based on the crit chance from the weapon or do they got their own crit chance?
"
willeke wrote:
Is the crit chance from the projectiles based on the crit chance from the weapon or do they got their own crit chance?
weapon
Sorry more questions: If I got hatred running, and this counts: Unmodified projectiles will deal 72% of full weapon damage, of which 60% of physical is converted to fire damage. Then the projectiles will deal 12% physical damage + 3.12% (12%*0.26) cold damage?
Damage Based On is calculated before Conversion, which in turn occurs before More/Less Damage.
Molten Strike essentially grants 20% More Damage (120% Base Damage), and 40% Less Projectile Damage.

Weapon with 100 Phys Damage
25% Hatred
60% Phys-to-Fire Conversion
20% More Damage
40% Less Projectile Damage.

100 * 0.25 = 25 Cold Damage
Base Damage is 100 Phys, 25 Cold

100 * 0.6 = 60 Fire Damage
100 - 60 = 40 Phys Damage
Base Damage is 40 Phys, 60 Fire, 25 Cold

Projectiles take both 20% More and 40% Less Damage:
40 * 1.2 * 0.6 = 28.8, rounds to 28 Phys Damage
60 * 1.2 * 0.6 = 43.2, rounds to 43 Fire Damage
20 * 1.2 * 0.6 = 14.4, rounds to 14 Cold Damage

Of course, this doesn't include any other modifier. There's a lot of shit going down, there.

The Fire + Phys portion roughly ends up as 72% of Base Phys. As you can see, that figure is pretty pointless when you get down to it.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 15, 2014, 10:54:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info