Storm Call

"
waffenheimer wrote:

I agree with everything you say but haaaang on a minute.. how are you generating power charges with dual totem??

ice spear + power charge on crit
"The exodus of humanity in search of a new home? It is like spreading a virus in the healthy space."
I am searching for a solid, proven answer about how cast speed increases work with storm call. I have read the formula on the wiki, but it doesn't add up. with a 23% cast speed increase i am able to get off 5 hits in one casting round. That would, by the formula, equal a .40 second cast time on the spell, which would mean 4 hits, not 5 (the first hit, then 3 more in the 1.5 duration of the spell). you would need a .375 sec cast time to get off 5. Please HELP!!!

for any who don't feel like looking it up on the wiki, the formula being referenced is as follows. note that it is using .8 as the base cast speed for the example, as well as a 50% (.5) increase in cast speed.

1 / 0.8 = 1.25 casts per second (base)
1.25 * ( 1 + 0.5 ) = 1.88 casts per second (modified)
1 / 1.88 = Modified cast time of 0.53 seconds

to save you a step i have modified it using the .5 second base cast time of storm call as follows

Cast Speed Formula = (with .5 as the base cast speed, and using a 50% cast speed increase)
1 / 0.5 = 2 casts per second (base)
2 * ( 1 + 0.5) = 3 casts per second (modified)
1 / 3 = Modified cast time of 0.33 seconds
total number of storm calls per burst would then = 5

I am getting 5 with only a 23% increased cast speed, which using this formula would only give 4
shorter version of the wiki, just as complex?
Spoiler
new cast speed = cast time of skill divided by ( 1 + cast speed boosts)
casts per second = 1 divided by previous value
so...
1 / [ cast time / ( 1 + cast speed boosts)]

anyways, .5 cast time then .23 cast boost:
.5 / 1.23 = 0.41 (rounded up) new cast speed
1 / above = 2.46 casts per second.

not sure what to say, nothing is wrong but did you account for that the actual burst has a delay of its own? i have a 45% duration boost and that "just" gets me 5 casts total out with no cast speed boost.
.41 x 1 = .41
.41 x 2 = .82
.41 x 3 = 1.23
.41 x 4 = 1.64

the delay on the burst is 1.5 sec after the first cast. therefore 3 casts would be all you get after the first cast at a 23% cast speed increase, for a total of 4. not 5, which is what im getting now. so again i ask, can someone actually explain exactly how this spell works, and the correct formula i can use to determine where the benchmarks are for how much cast speed increase i need for each consecutive number of casts per burst?
Even if you cannot fit four casts in the 1.5 seconds delay, there's a short delay between each struck.
You can cast SC once again after the first one triggered and get the last one triggered as well because of this small delay, for a total of 5 in your case.
Your calculations seem to be correct.
Sorry Exile, but your loot is in another dungeon!
IGN: Delirii
Last edited by Delirii on Dec 25, 2013, 4:37:39 AM
Thank you delirii that makes the most sense of how im seeing this play out. i wish a dev could give us exact numbers on the cast speed needed per cast, or how much delay to factor in so that we can figure out the equation for ourselves.
Those of you having trouble locking on targets should consider using Decoy Totem. Without so much as moving your mouse, you can target a location for the totem, lay down the markers and, by the time the markers start going off, the mobs will have converged on the totem. Boom.
Man does not stop playing because he grows old. He grows old because he stops playing. - Oliver Wendell Holmes
The spell doesn't do anything at all different with cast speed increases from any other spell.
When one marker goes off, it will set of the next marker after a delay of 80ms.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The spell doesn't do anything at all different with cast speed increases from any other spell.
When one marker goes off, it will set of the next marker after a delay of 80ms.
well that was the missing piece of the puzzle, although not sure how well that solves the person's confusion.

thanks mark
I began playing PoE 2 days after StormCall was added to the game. I lvled with it from the beginning and i have created a good working 35k DPS NonCrit pure caster build, which works in endgame :)
After seeing, that no one had posted a similar guide so far i thought this might be interesting:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/738452

Playable as Witch, Templar and Scion

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info