Storm Call

"
ebrl wrote:
"
Splift wrote:
Even after spork was nerfed to 4% base crit every single good build still used crit and rocked with it. I seem to remember people reaching 60% crit chance and speccing out of static blows simply bacause its a waste of points when you are critting half the time.

60% crit chance is +1400% from 4% base. Mind if I ask how exactly do you get +1400% crit chance while still being able to survive a sudden change in wind direction?
Note that I said "the best builds" I never had a rf sporker, but the concept was fairly well known at the time by most people.

you can get over 400% from passives while still getting lots of es nodes (just forget the crappy spell damage nodes) and 350% from power charges. Daggers can get 250% chance to crit (you can dual wield em but I don't think its necessary). So now you are sitting pretty at 1000% without overreaching and gimping yourself to get it and just from passives charges and 1 weapon. I am too lazy to look up what the maximum numbers for jewelry and shields are, but once u factor in ur jewelry shield, maligrios, crit weakness I think its safe to say that you can reach it without even using a gem slot on chance to crit.

The main thing to note is that all this only comes together on an endgame passive tree with endgame(ish) gear (you can still reach a very reasonable 40%+ crit with weak gear at lvl 80). All crit builds are like this. You cant go with a half completed build and crap gear and complain that you have no crit then blame the skill. 4% base crit chance is only 20% less than 5%.
Last edited by Splift on Dec 12, 2013, 1:24:58 PM
In fact just to provide a visual, so people can see a well optimized (imo) crit build that does not have to sell its first born to get good crit, here is what I would like to spec for storm call.

That is a 100 point build. It is sorely missing throatseeker and that is the first thing it would get as it pushes into the 80's. It gets 400% crit chance, 210% es nodes, all of the best aoe nodes, all of the spell damage nodes worth getting and tons of aura buff nodes(stronger discipline and an extra 2% max lit res off purity of lit for reflect maps).
nvm
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Kenzorz on Dec 12, 2013, 6:16:05 PM
STORM CALL Need Change

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jwAj4x-DZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UewLIyXcVZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzbmMnLl83o
Last edited by play2013 on Dec 14, 2013, 1:36:45 AM
"
ebrl wrote:
Everyone seems to build for storm call crit, which sounds incredibly counterproductive. Double totem + elemental proliferation + static blows obliterates absolutely everything, tho, and saves you the hassle of dealing with the awkward targeting. Instant triple shock stacking gets you free hugs in parties, too. Swap out elemental proliferation for concentrated effect vs bosses while someone else (zombies, party members, maybe even yourself!) tank them into standing still.

Of course, I did wish the quality bonus was something else completely different (increased AoE, reduced duration, chance to shock, whatever), but the way things are at least I don't have to bother with getting a quality gem.

Crit SC is ultimately better in end-game. I know because I leveled my dual totem stormcaller as a non-crit static blows configuration, and only respecced to crit when I was around level 65. The crit spec doesn't really shine until you can push 30% crit chance AND have a 5L (so that crit multi support can be used).

At the moment my stormcaller is level 75, with ~45% crit chance (crit weakness included), and a whopping 650% crit multiplier (also crit weakness included). comparing that to a non-crit spec, and you can see why crit just gets miles ahead.

But before you have the necessary number of skill points and gear, static blows non-crit is pretty much mandatory because there is no other way.

Edit:

I have to stress that it is WAY more efficient to play crit stormcall as a dual-totem build!!!

Because only that way will you have the leeway to curse AND generate power charges to really push up the crit chance.

With a self-cast build you'd have to work your rear-end off to keep up power charges, curse, and cast all the stormcalls without delay. Possibly even impossible.
[Hardcore league]
IGN: Jeria / Metalgrid
Last edited by jerg on Dec 14, 2013, 5:14:37 PM
Well, i really like Storm Call, it's an amazing spell on group hunts... But I feel it lacks the prerequisite to be a viable primary skill: Aiming.

1. We can't just Shift + Click(lock) the mob and the cast will follow him wherever he goes like we can do with Firestorm, we need to keep moving the pointer and sometimes there are so many mobs and so many effects we just don't even see the marks.

2. The delay is a huge problem... The spell will deal the same damage, with the delay or without it, but the delay is taking off some extreme soloing potential. I can't solo most bosses/uniques and even some mobs because they're in constant movement and the delay will just crush my plans... Another player can get to me and say "You just need to learn how to aim", yeah, and Piety, for example? We cast the spell, she moves extremely fast and to an unknown location, and you lost the cast, it's extremely hard to target Piety with it. The lock mentioned on #1 would help a lot with this problem...

The problem with the delay is that it's a "fake burst", the damage is the same, but when bolts all fall at the same time you get the feeling you did a heavy burst, when you didn't. If it was one by one, at the end of 4-5 casts the damage would have been the same.

The duration could be reduced or either removed, and the spell would then be viable to me... Right now it's only viable on group hunts and if you have people to tank for you, it's simply not viable to solo at all.
I have been using storm call from lvl 1, untill now, lvl 75. It's been really great for leveling and messing around with, trying different support gems etc..

But now that I'm playing maps and looking forward to the endgame content I get the feeling its missing something.

I'm playing a Iron Will based character as Scion, using the Unique Doon Cuebiyari and I feel it is really hard to increase the damage and the damage is accually really low compared to my friends or other people I meet and play maps with.

With some small changes here and there this spell could be alot better, for example:
-The quality on this gem could be much better insted of crit chance.
-Making it a 'projectile' would create some more possibility's like the increased projectile dmg nodes. (especially when your playing a life based bloodmagic character and/or iron will... CHANGE IT ;))
-And perhaps shorten the delay a little because mostly I lose half of my dps uptime because I only hit ground since the mobs have moved, and linking reduced duration to the spell would just make my dps worse by losing a more viable socket.

I hope this was informative for GGG, and I truly hope there will be some changes around this soon.

Vinzorama
IGN: Vinzorama
I actually like the delay on Meteor. The anticipation of the explosion, the steady torrent of hits as they begin to spill out... I don't like the instant burst at the end of this one. Having to lead targets to hit at range was my favorite thing about Meteor. I dunno, maybe it feels like a hack to smidge around desync?

And, wait what? This tops out at 18 mana to cast? Is this a hint of usable magick with only ~10-15 stat points into mana in the future? Comparable to the cost of accuracy burden?
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Dec 17, 2013, 10:38:32 AM
"
jerg wrote:
"
ebrl wrote:
Everyone seems to build for storm call crit, which sounds incredibly counterproductive. Double totem + elemental proliferation + static blows obliterates absolutely everything, tho, and saves you the hassle of dealing with the awkward targeting. Instant triple shock stacking gets you free hugs in parties, too. Swap out elemental proliferation for concentrated effect vs bosses while someone else (zombies, party members, maybe even yourself!) tank them into standing still.

Of course, I did wish the quality bonus was something else completely different (increased AoE, reduced duration, chance to shock, whatever), but the way things are at least I don't have to bother with getting a quality gem.

Crit SC is ultimately better in end-game. I know because I leveled my dual totem stormcaller as a non-crit static blows configuration, and only respecced to crit when I was around level 65. The crit spec doesn't really shine until you can push 30% crit chance AND have a 5L (so that crit multi support can be used).

At the moment my stormcaller is level 75, with ~45% crit chance (crit weakness included), and a whopping 650% crit multiplier (also crit weakness included). comparing that to a non-crit spec, and you can see why crit just gets miles ahead.

But before you have the necessary number of skill points and gear, static blows non-crit is pretty much mandatory because there is no other way.

Edit:

I have to stress that it is WAY more efficient to play crit stormcall as a dual-totem build!!!

Because only that way will you have the leeway to curse AND generate power charges to really push up the crit chance.

With a self-cast build you'd have to work your rear-end off to keep up power charges, curse, and cast all the stormcalls without delay. Possibly even impossible.

I agree with everything you say but haaaang on a minute.. how are you generating power charges with dual totem??
"
I actually like the delay on Meteor. The anticipation of the explosion, the steady torrent of hits as they begin to spill out... I don't like the instant burst at the end of this one. Having to lead targets to hit at range was my favorite thing about Meteor. I dunno, maybe it feels like a hack to smidge around desync?

And, wait what? This tops out at 18 mana to cast? Is this a hint of usable magick with only ~10-15 stat points into mana in the future? Comparable to the cost of accuracy burden?

10-15 points in mana? you mean aside from int nodes? you crazy if so

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info