Storm Call

I still dont get it how Castspeed works with this Skill.
I have this problem:

My Tooltip says my Totems do 2635,9 DPS and Casttime is 0,23 Sec.
If i exchange my Haste-Aura Gems from a lvl 19 Gem with 16% Cast Speed to a lvl 12 one with 13% Cast Speed, the Tooltip Damage stays the same and the Casttime is 0,24 Sec.

How can the Damage stays the same if the castspeed goes up?
First i thought its cause i have to reach the next Step when i get 1 more casts before the spell goes off.

I use a Reduced Duration Gem. Its 19/20 and reduces the Duration by 53%.
in my Offense Tab it says i cast 4,2 times a second.

The Base-Duration of the gem is 90 Seconds. 47% of that is 42,3 Seconds.(90/100)*47
So if i cast 4,2 in a Second i cast 2,961 Times in my Duration of 42,3 Seconds. 42,3*(4,2/60)

So i thought if i reach 3 Casts in my Duration of 42,3 the tooltip damage would go up. I respect some Points in the Passive tree and reached 3,1 Cast in 42,3 Seconds.

But the Tooltip does not change.

Is there a Cap for Castspeed with this spell? Or where is the mistake in my thoughts?
Would be happy for any help.

Thx
Storm Call most likely lists Damage per Hit, not Damage per Second (because that'd be pretty useless for a Burst skill!).
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Storm Call most likely lists Damage per Hit, not Damage per Second (because that'd be pretty useless for a Burst skill!).

I understand that. But if that is the Case, why does the Tooltip Damage go down if i dont use Haste Aura at all? Or if i respec a lot of castspeed nodes, it goes down too.
Been really enjoying this skill, even though I'd prefer the version that makes you wait for each burst like classic Meteor did. It really humbles Arc.

My biggest complaint with it would be the Quality bonus... I really don't like spending points on crit for lightning spells. I'd personally prefer Increased Radius for this particular skill, instead.
Okay, I have a new biggest complaint.

Life leech doesn't work for this skill. You cast it 5 to 8 times before the call-down, they all hit one (1) guy at once, you get the leech of one hit total.

No problem have I with not getting 800 leech stacks from hitting 30 guys a second, but the new leech mechanic and the nature of this skill (a large bundle of your spell casts hitting at once) don't work with one another.
the detonations aren't 100% all at same time, as mentioned in a different part of this thread. it could still work with leeching but now it depends on the strongest hit only at a time.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
the detonations aren't 100% all at same time, as mentioned in a different part of this thread. it could still work with leeching but now it depends on the strongest hit only at a time.

No. 80 milliseconds is far, far below even the feeblest life leech duration imaginable. Here is how the math works:

How little damage do you have to do to acquire leech from each burst?

One second has 12.5 80-milliseconds in it. To get below 20% life per second, and therefore leeching every time you cast the spell, you have to therefore get less than 1.6% of your life in leech to the monster per cast.

Say you have 5k life and 8% leech. Reasonable numbers. You need 80 leeched life or less from each Call to contribute fully to your life recovery. 1 / .08 = 12.5. Times 80, you need to do less than 1k damage a hit. That would be a bit challenging to accomplish. No support gems and no increased damage% could get you there; be sure not to equip a wand.

Now the flipside. How much damage do you have to do so one (1) leech stack is capable of carrying you all the way to the next explosion? It'd take about two seconds to get there, so around 35 to 40% of your maximum life, ICS% depending. 35% of 5k is 1750, times 12.5 is, 21,875 damage, so somewhere around 100k damage a second. That should do it.

Spark suffers as well, as it gets 1/3rd the single target leech it used to have. Storm Call is at 1/4th to 1/8th (ICS%). Double Strike 1/2. I don't know why I even bothered to #numbers this out. It's self evident.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Mar 10, 2014, 5:58:58 AM
80 milliseconds per explosion. Four markers, three delays -> 240 milliseconds between the first and last hit. By the time your last hit lands, the first Leech effect has already ticked down a fair ways, making the new Leech effect actually useful (unless it's a low-rolled non-Crit).

The delay increases the time you Leech considerably. Even just 250 milliseconds, which is the default, is 5% Max Life more than if they were instant.

---------
Yes, Leech is nerfed harshly for Damage spikes. What else is new.

---------
Spark can fairly easy spread hits with Fork to distribute the 'income' of Leech effects. Doesn't help much against Bosses, but again, that's one of those things we figured would happen. *shrug*
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 10, 2014, 9:49:55 AM
Anyone tried this with trap and multi trap yet? seems like it would easily throw out 9 calls.
the delay really makes this skill unplayable. even with a lvl 18 reduced duration, 1.5s goes down to about .78 seconds. if you want a nice even 3 casts per .78 casts, you'd have to get about 94% increased cast speed. lol wut?!

this skill's damage is good, but unreliable, unless you're facing slow zombies and skellies. one way to bypass the delayed damage is getting increased aoe, but the aoe is never big enough to make sure that all the markers hit fast moving enemies.

you could cast ontop of yourself of course. but i want to kill them before they hit me.

it'd be great if the delay was reduced to something like rain of arrows.
Last edited by scrtwpnx on May 18, 2014, 12:33:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info