Storm Call

one of my favourite skills, because of its skill effect, but... :(
Yeah this skill just isnt good.

Waiting for damage is just bleh. No matter how much its been buffed, after trying it again, the damage is too inconsistent and the wait time is just awkward.

If this ability had no wait time i could see it competing with the other lightning skill but right now, even after the buffs, it just isnt on par with the damage and mechanical functionality of the other Lightning Skills.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
I actually really enjoy storm call in it's current form. I think that predicting enemy movement is fun; especially since you can combine it with slowiing or freezing effects. I also like how you can "paint" lines of storm calls on the ground (which sadly doesn't work as well with spell echo). I do however admit that I always link less duration to it; I think it would be cool if there was a reduced duration node on the tree (also for sunblast trap builds). I don't think clear speed should be the lone defining trait of any given skill.
1.5 seconds effect duration is very bad, even when you augment it with less duration 20/20. Halving the time could be useful for players but allow atziri's to keep her current cast time.

Look at the other lightning skills, Arc, EVEN shock nova, tendrils, ball lightning etc.. the ability to instantly damage enemies makes them worthwhile and "safe". Even if you have vaal pact you actually have to wait for mobs to get hit. this skill is has so much potential but is a lot more annoying than rain of arrows because of the long duration.
guess i'm one of the weird ones that give it MORE duration so i can stack multiple ones in a spot? no change in dps either way if casting constantly, so its more fun to get that big explosion...
I have a question about when is the damage and crit calculated on the storm calls, is it when casted or when triggered?

So for an example: LL storm caller with a lot of increased duration, crit, righteous fire and Diamond flask.
So I would cast righteous fire (temporally with ruby flasks) then cast storm calls, when would I want to use Diamond flask? Before I started casting or right before all the storm calls trigger? Same for righteous fire when do I want to stop it, after I'm done casting them or wait until all storm calls are triggered?

Last edited by TheIntruder on Nov 1, 2015, 4:05:36 AM
some 2.1 feedback:

the damage is really good now, its more about the mechanics of the skill that made me stop using it

-big bursts of damage can be difficult vs reflect
-its sometimes hard to predict monster movements or it asks for playing with risk (taking some damage)/bad positioning
-instant damage just feels a little healthier with leech and eventual stuns on monsters, or killing a few of them right away

i saw myself sometimes either casting too many or too little of them, screwing with clearspeed a lot or also having some single leftover mobs because they ran to china (or wherever..)

maybe a randomized or shorter delay would change things but this skill might just not be for me. it seems like a great singletarget alternative for arc or spark users though!
Try it with less duration and helmet that reduces duration by 30%. It feels pretty fast.
"
NagiSoi wrote:
Try it with less duration and helmet that reduces duration by 30%. It feels pretty fast.

Sounds great, but acquiring that helm enchant is easier said than done.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
First Feedback on 3.0 release:

The big new Bossmonsters like Kitiava (or what its called) and that minor phanteon "Spider God", both bosses that clinge to the edge of a cliff are not targeted by this spell when you put it on a spelltotem. I immagine this proplem also exists for other non-directed but targeted aoe spells, that set a marker.

Nice, now I have a 4 spelltotem hierophant with my quad lightning mortar and he cant progress because of bosstargeting.
http://i.imgur.com/TF8Auam.jpg

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info