What's Next for Archnemesis Modifiers - Part 3 (and list of modifiers)

"Rare monsters are like regular monsters but with massive bonuses to item drops and item rarity"

Massive bonuses ? Are GGG playing the same game as the rest of us ? What the heck is their definition of a massive bonus, cause a few basic currency drops and some rubbish uniques/rares ain't it.

"The theory is that a hard fight results in more items. And it does, on average. Sometimes you get very little for killing a difficult rare monsters, and sometimes you get that unique item you've been looking for, or a shower of rare items. A fundamental part of Action RPGs is the wide variance of outcomes, rather than having deterministic results."

Gosh, thanks for explaining how an ARPG works. I didn't realise that after playing them for 20+ years ....

"Sometimes you get very little for killing a difficult rare monsters"

So the incentive here is to what ...just bypass them in favour of white or magic mobs ?

I can't see why people are so offended here and other types of forums with such patronising responses.
Last edited by BowWizard on May 15, 2022, 2:08:45 PM
Invulnerable is really bad with any combination of monsters that has an innate ability to create minions.

It can often lead to a situation where you are being trailed by a pack of unkillable monsters.

A specific example of this is the following:

A Red Satyr Beast
Invulnerable
SATYR STORM

resistance to the type of damage you do

The resistance makes killing the Rare monster take longer (which is fine), but the minions can also body block your damage.

Then if you do decide to actually bail on killing that monster, the minions can often continue to chase you throughout the rest of the map.

Minions produced by innate modifiers to rare monsters need to has some sort of leash mechanic, in my opinion.

Did you guys collab with Jagex or how is 3.18 such a fucking trash update with the rare mobs... There is no shot you guys tested this update and agreed that archnemesis mods are fine... there is so much cum on floor, things following you and things trapping you from moving. All i wanted to blast thru some maps and have fun but now i need to be in shrimp posture and sweat my way thru some fucking raid boss that drops nothing.
"
People whine and nerfs come. The way the mods shipped was perfect, finally some difficulty.

It was hell of fun, exactly like Delirium pre-nerf was. Before it got nerfed...

Why do we have to cater to people having the need to cruise and faceroll through the game on Day 1 ? I will never understand that.

Sad

because we got headhunter and you dont. capish.
fk archnemesis.
For me, this is a game, not a job. I don't think it's reasonable to expect players to play with peak concentration 100% of the time within maps, because that's what it takes now. It's exhausting. I expect that of my job, not what's supposed to be a fun action rpg loot grinder.

Swing and miss GGG.
"
CrazyPanda221 wrote:
Can you please explain to us how the "extensive testing" was so far off the mark that you were forced to make three damage control posts on the first day of the league. Either your testers are god gamers who have lost touch with the average player, or you're straight up lying to us and this shit wasn't tested at all.

I have some background in development and while i can't say its the case here, its not uncommon for QA or test releases to be received very differently from full releases. A big part of what determines a person's relationship with the product is influenced by their expectations of their product, as well as their peers' experiences with the product. We take queues from the people around us to help us understand what something is like, and in psychological experiments this has even been revealed to be able to make people hesitant about things that one would normally see as definitely true. The qa community and the reddit population are going to have distinct cultures and in both cases (unless GGG is forbidding commmunication between qa testers to an extent, which can be a useful practice) the culture is going to have a strong influence on the overall experience and impressions of the players.

In this case I would guess that qa testers would have a positive bias towards enjoying the game. This is a common bias among qa testers selected by the company because they typically have a more personal relationship with the company than in testers selected via other methods like random selection via mail. If the qa testers are allowed to communicate, that positive bias is going to be amplified. In the case of reddit its probably true that most redditors had an initially negative experience and that expectation of a negative experience and exposure to peer opinions amplified that effect, meaning a redditor is potentially more likely to have a negative experience and a more negative experience than someone who is playing without communicating with other players.

It sounds like its also possible that the qa testers were given more information about the mods than most players were, and thus may have been able to more effectively counterplay them.

As a regular old POE player, I personally think the mods that give rares dangerous abilities (effigy, rejuvinating, etc.) seem difficult to counterplay because if you don't know the ability is coming you can't reasonably avoid it, and the pacing and number of rares in the game is such that reading the mods on every rare before you fight it isn't really feasible.

I don't think mods that require pre-emptive changes in player behaviour produce healthy gameplay, at least up until the point where the presence of those mods can be better signaled to the player.
GGG. Remove this crap from BLIGHT, TEMPLE, LABS, DELVE etc.
Way too over the top for most league mechanics, as they stack on too many already powerful mods. Beasts become tanky to the point where map bosses feel like children, metamorphs are ignoring minions and just steamrush over the players on top of being nigh unkillable for any off meta build and in ritual and delve where you dont have much room you stand in close to perma aoe fire explosions and poison bubbles that you are supposed to dodge, but have no room for them

The most annoying for me though is the seemingly bugged lightning towers that don't stop following you. You cannot destroy them. There is no monster to kill, they just follow you around forever .. this whole archnemesis mod thing is silly beyond compare. We're already limited into meta build here meta build there, fluffing realize that you're supposed to make core content easier to approach and not harder.

If you want difficulty, use it on those fluffing uber whatever bosses that 99% of the playerbase will not even see anyways, instead of dropping way over the top content on players that simply want to play their niche non meta builds, not care about uber uber uber uber shit and currently can't even properly play yellow maps.
this change to mods aka moving archenemies mods to normal gameplay could be a really good idea... game is harder, I can get one shot almost everywhere but rewards are terrible... you moved only archenemies mods without rewards for example:

Gargantuan (right now)
20% increased Damage
40% increased maximum Life
80% increased Area of Effect
Rewards: NOTHING

Gargantuan (last league)
40% increased Damage
60% increased maximum Life
100% increased Area of Effect
Rewards: Currency

if you will move also rewards ppl will try to kill it for rewards, even if this rares would be dangerous and you will die sometimes multiple times on one rare - like now and sometimes unkillable - so you need to reset or skip map, but right now without proper rewards those monsters are just terrible idea (3/10)
Крис, спасибо за рарных мобов. вкусно, поели

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info