Shockwave Totem

"
zephiroth3 wrote:

shockwave totem+inc aoe+conc effect+added fire+faster casting,
use hatred aura+vulnerability curse=decent dmg. but it wont attack with it.
searing bond needs nerf, too op.
shockwave totem a buff.
IF a dmg buff no more that 20% needed! just fix the AI range!

i know the 'increased physical dmg' node applies to shockwave totem.
does melee phys? i dont think so.
whats that its a spell? no its not.

If you want a build based around shockwave totem, ill give you a hint as to how (already done this successfuly). Try it with Avatar of Fire and Blackgleam high % conversion.

The damage could use a buff though, i can get it to about 2k dps per totem without frenzy charges on me, and the gem isnt maxed yet. With a little buff the skill could be very good, only problem being that at present it requires too much damage buff that unless you have good gear to survive, your damage will take a while to catch up. More damage or cast speed (and a little more AOE, cmon its also supposed to be tactical) please!

Its on the verge of becoming something, it just needs that little push!
State of Beyond Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3441741

State of Blight Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3470384

State of Harbinger Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3473629
Last edited by Raghin on Mar 15, 2014, 10:56:58 PM
tooltip still say 5% crit chance with no passive/gear on
IGN : Breeze_path
If you link this as a dedicated support, you can do crazy things with it.
You're expecting to be able to use a support skill as a main skill for some unknown reason.

If this skill gets buffed a lot, it will become the new searing bond.
Last edited by Xendran on Apr 17, 2014, 6:06:08 AM
it has been buffed in last 1.1.2 patch :

"
Shockwave Totem's pulses have been sped up from 0.75 seconds to 0.60 seconds each.

That's roughly 25 % more dps.
IGN TylordRampage
Last edited by Malone on Apr 18, 2014, 8:48:09 AM
its better. i still cant get it to useful levels of damage or utility.
searing bond requires a 2l to be effective. just add burning dmg. two gem wonder.
shockwave totem-what are we supposed to do with it?
make the aoe huge so the knockback is far?
make it cast rlly fast to keep a mob knocked back?
maybe make it do huge dmg? well...
we cant make it effectively clear without extreme gear specialization.
its useless againt ranged mobs-they just stand out of its aoe once knocked back.
maybe half of all mobs are ranged. attack or spellcasting. i dunno.
doesnt scale off anything easily acquired.
theres very few support gems that work with this skill.
the number that actually work effectively is even less.
maybe the damage effectiveness at 50% could be change to 75%?
'linking as dedicating support gem' hmm?
flame totem+gmp+chaos dmg+blind/knockback 4l does ~3x the dmg and has more effective utility.
shockwave totem+chaos dmg+added fire+inc aoe+blind 5l less effective less dmg.
oh and flame totem doesnt require, say, Avatar of Fire passive
AND blackgleam so u cant wear a shield.
its just such a cool totem, i want to do SOMETHING with it.
"
Raghin wrote:
"
zephiroth3 wrote:

shockwave totem+inc aoe+conc effect+added fire+faster casting,
use hatred aura+vulnerability curse=decent dmg. but it wont attack with it.
searing bond needs nerf, too op.
shockwave totem a buff.
IF a dmg buff no more that 20% needed! just fix the AI range!

i know the 'increased physical dmg' node applies to shockwave totem.
does melee phys? i dont think so.
whats that its a spell? no its not.

If you want a build based around shockwave totem, ill give you a hint as to how (already done this successfuly). Try it with Avatar of Fire and Blackgleam high % conversion.

The damage could use a buff though, i can get it to about 2k dps per totem without frenzy charges on me, and the gem isnt maxed yet. With a little buff the skill could be very good, only problem being that at present it requires too much damage buff that unless you have good gear to survive, your damage will take a while to catch up. More damage or cast speed (and a little more AOE, cmon its also supposed to be tactical) please!

Its on the verge of becoming something, it just needs that little push!

I'm hitting nearly 3k using Nyctas latern as it has the perfect stats although a 6L(or even 5L) Carcass jack would be better(4L currently).I am using Avatar of fire,since I want to take advantage of burning I've gone for damage per hit over cast speed which seems really effective,you can drop them down and then walk to the next group of enemies as you have totem time+burn time which can help increase your clear speed with a lower dps.Of course you have to have enough dps for the totem to be able to completely take down a group but it might be strategic to do maps/areas where you can.

Edit:
Getting around 5K with Doryani scepter plus using 5L armor.Burn damage is 135% and SW totem is L19.Tried Infernal Mantle but Fire to chaos conversion messes it up and actually lowers total damage.

Last edited by Kavlor on Aug 1, 2014, 4:54:30 AM
My issue with this skill is how little it scales with AoE passives. The "trigger" range is unaffected by any of the nodes so that double radius from items and passives make it so that it pushes monsters too far away on the first or second push to keep activating. I run into the problem of having to summon a shockwave totem at my own feet and hope I don't get splashed by other skills along with it. The result being that I use it to defend myself for a short period of time, making the damage unnoticeable and the knockback just a temporary annoyance for displacing myself while desync attacking monsters.
I was wondering..

If you were to pick up AoF with Shockwave Totem, and use a Doryani's Catalyst as your main hand weapon, would this be a fix to running AoF + Shockwave Totem? I heard that running AoF + Shockwave Totem = a bad thing. So I was just curious if this was a viable way to run this. Seeing how you also gain "1% of Elemental Damage Leeched as Life" off the Doryani's Catalyst. Also if this is viable, than a Doryani's Invitation(Fire Variant) would also be a greater benefit as well verses The Magnate's increased physical damage %, because you would also gain "1% of Fire Damage Leeched as Life" from the Doryani's Invitation. I am just brainstorming as I do not have the currency in game to test this nor do I have the time. Please let me know some feed back on this, if this works, I might have found a new character build to chip away at.
the totem will deal 50% damage, because it gains AoF's 50% physical to fire damage... then drops the rest of the damage =/

you might as well just use added fire support gem and run hatred aura as normal. your mace is still good just... not AoF. the most usage AoF gets is any cold skill linked to cold to fire support... or running hatred aura then linking cold to fire to whatever damaging physical skill you want (but its costly).
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Aug 17, 2014, 11:52:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info