Shockwave Totem

Character Build: Nothing but life, resist and armor passives.
Level: 31
Complimenting Abilities: Shield charge...kind of. I just shield charge tougher enemies back in to the totem's range.

This totem is by far the most fun I've had in poe and unfortunately I have to say it's too strong.

The knockback and flinching drastically reduces the damage you take. The aoe on this totem is huge. The damage isn't impressive, but because of the size of the aoe and the knocback it actually kills a screen of enemies with relative ease. I've placed added fire and added cold damage supports on my shockwave totem and I plan on adding lightning soon. I feel like the damage effectiveness should be lowered from 50% to 25%.
Last edited by grogor on May 14, 2012, 2:42:47 AM
As much as I don't want to lose it, since it's one of my main skill now, I agree it does too much damage. Especially as a Marauder with HP, armor, regen, and Tempest shield.

Fellshire Ruins, HC, level 20... I wasn't even bothering to fight anymore. Totem took out 90% of everything, and what was left hit me, did not damage (regen cancelled it out), and died from Tempest Shield effects. I could just stand there and win.

Now, granted, I had to start fighing in a few other places, but standing still anywhere should not be an option.

I've also noticed that it will not target ranged attackers, even if in range. It would still hit them if a melee fighter was around - the pules hit everyone. But if it was only ranged, it would not longer attack, and the archers could shoot it with impunity. It died without even 1 pulse in about 3 seconds with 3 spark skeletons hitting it.

I'd hate to see this thing with added damage gems.
Kilts for Templars <tm> - Our mission is to replace the ancient Greek toga worn by the Templar with a kilt. It fits the theme of Wraeclast better, and it fits the voice of the Templar.
"
WippitGuud wrote:
As much as I don't want to lose it, since it's one of my main skill now, I agree it does too much damage. Especially as a Marauder with HP, armor, regen, and Tempest shield.

Fellshire Ruins, HC, level 20... I wasn't even bothering to fight anymore. Totem took out 90% of everything, and what was left hit me, did not damage (regen cancelled it out), and died from Tempest Shield effects. I could just stand there and win.

Now, granted, I had to start fighing in a few other places, but standing still anywhere should not be an option.

I've also noticed that it will not target ranged attackers, even if in range. It would still hit them if a melee fighter was around - the pules hit everyone. But if it was only ranged, it would not longer attack, and the archers could shoot it with impunity. It died without even 1 pulse in about 3 seconds with 3 spark skeletons hitting it.

I'd hate to see this thing with added damage gems.

One thing to remember is you are low level, it may not scale as well as the higher levels. I have added cold on it, and it does a good job of killing lower hp mobs, i just single target mobs that get too close to it. It is a fun and powerful tool, but mobs that do decent damage kill it fast in cruel difficulty. I was planning on using cleave a bit more, but instead made my single target attack more powerful and use this to help me out a bit, I think it is a viable combo and I think it is balanced. especially when you consider other bow builds will kill stuff 5 times faster than this totem will, it really is helpful to get melees more in line fun wise to ranged classes.
There is that... I'm still on normal, so I don't know how well it scales.

Kilts for Templars <tm> - Our mission is to replace the ancient Greek toga worn by the Templar with a kilt. It fits the theme of Wraeclast better, and it fits the voice of the Templar.
anyone scaled this?
I was starting to notice it's less overpowered in the pyramid areas of Act 2... shock skeletons take it down really fast.
Basically it is too strong in normal difficulty. Too fast attack-speed and too large area effected seems like the worst problems.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
for those players who think that this skill should be nerf......

this skill only works for fighting normal mobs...

it totally suxs for fighting bosses... merveil on ruthless totally tears this totem apart in 1 or 2 hits before it can even dish out any dmg...
34pre98qua
"
stkmro wrote:

it totally suxs for fighting bosses... merveil on ruthless totally tears this totem apart in 1 or 2 hits before it can even dish out any dmg...

Going to disagree. I've used mine on every boss. They're not immune to the knockback and the totem is spammable should it go down from stray aoe hits. It makes brutus a complete joke, even more so then temporal chains.
"
grogor wrote:
"
stkmro wrote:

Going to disagree. I've used mine on every boss. They're not immune to the knockback and the totem is spammable should it go down from stray aoe hits. It makes brutus a complete joke, even more so then temporal chains.

this skill makes brutus a complete joke is becos brutus has only melee attk and ground slam. in fact any range classes/skills will render brutus helpless with hit/run tactics.

back to this totem: any range mobs/bosses will make this totem a complete joke.

u haven't yet seen merveil cold snap on the totem immobilising it. 2nd cast broke it into pieces :)
34pre98qua

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info