[3.12] Spark / Crackling Lance Inquisitor - New Player Friendly Guide - League Starter

Hey, so this is the first time I'm playing PoE and naturally, any league.

It's been fun playing and trying to keep up with this build, thanks for your efforts.

However, I'm currently in Act 2 as level 24 and I've been following this image from OP;

Spoiler

But I see that there are more skills to the right of the tree in PoB. And there are also the images for Lab, which seem to be different from the image above.

So, what exactly should I be following here?
"
Hey, so this is the first time I'm playing PoE and naturally, any league.

It's been fun playing and trying to keep up with this build, thanks for your efforts.

However, I'm currently in Act 2 as level 24 and I've been following this image from OP;

Spoiler

But I see that there are more skills to the right of the tree in PoB. And there are also the images for Lab, which seem to be different from the image above.

So, what exactly should I be following here?

The picture above with the 5 color rainbows is for an experimental build. The OP has a build that I’ve proven several times (all before update to the Glancing Blows node), so it is best followed if you want to make it to maps and not rely on if Crackling Lance will pay off or not.

If this is your first league I recommend doing the OP build with Spark and Storm Brand. I also think you keep Orb of Storms over Vaal Righteous Fire. There is extra difficulty in using CL against act bosses where Storm Brand will let you keep the pressure on while you learn to dance around the bosses. Once you know the fights, CL will be an option. I don’t recommend CL if you are just learning.

Please read up on the leveling tips in the post to make sure you’re getting the most from the build, especially about using the vendor trick to get flat lightning damage added to your wand or scepter. That flat damage really influences the damage you’re doing. While “adds 50% more lightning damage” looks good, the way the calculated damage works isn’t how it reads.
"
Scary3074 wrote:

The picture above with the 5 color rainbows is for an experimental build. The OP has a build that I’ve proven several times (all before update to the Glancing Blows node), so it is best followed if you want to make it to maps and not rely on if Crackling Lance will pay off or not.

If this is your first league I recommend doing the OP build with Spark and Storm Brand. I also think you keep Orb of Storms over Vaal Righteous Fire. There is extra difficulty in using CL against act bosses where Storm Brand will let you keep the pressure on while you learn to dance around the bosses. Once you know the fights, CL will be an option. I don’t recommend CL if you are just learning.

Please read up on the leveling tips in the post to make sure you’re getting the most from the build, especially about using the vendor trick to get flat lightning damage added to your wand or scepter. That flat damage really influences the damage you’re doing. While “adds 50% more lightning damage” looks good, the way the calculated damage works isn’t how it reads.

Thank you for your reply. So, just to be sure, should I be progressing the tree as it is shown in images under the Ascendancies?
"
eLbotz wrote:
Any specific staffs people are running for this build? I picked up The Stormheart staff but I'm not sure if this was a good call or not:

That damage is local to the staff (doesn't specify spells), so it's doing nothing for your build. It would be good for a melee elemental damage build for instance.

It's a common mistake and probably needs to be re-worded somehow to make this obvious at first glance, I know it kept me from scaling spell damage correctly as a new player many times.

As for stats to look out for:
- X to X lightning damage to spells
- % increased lightning damage
- % increased spell damage
- % global critical strike chance
- % global critical strike multiplier
- % cast speed
- +X level to all spell gems or lightning gems or intelligence gems

All are good but of course in the late game you'll get the most mileage out of crit multi and gem levels but they'll be the most expensive by far.

Here's a cheap staff to get you started if that's the weapon type you want to go with:
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Heist/NpRvt0
Last edited by Trev0413 on Sep 21, 2020, 8:11:45 AM
also, why only lvl immortal call to lvl 3?

This is the staff I am currently running, while having Spark on a 5-Link. I do not have the budget for a 6 link yet. How is it for a starter? Should I be running Vaal Spark or just Spark? I have not been able to find real clarity on that and have been a bit confused. The build's damage is beginning to ramp up for me as I progress, although I do not have Call of the Brotherhood yet. Should that be my next priority?
"
Trev0413 wrote:
"
eLbotz wrote:
Any specific staffs people are running for this build? I picked up The Stormheart staff but I'm not sure if this was a good call or not:

That damage is local to the staff (doesn't specify spells), so it's doing nothing for your build. It would be good for a melee elemental damage build for instance.

It's a common mistake and probably needs to be re-worded somehow to make this obvious at first glance, I know it kept me from scaling spell damage correctly as a new player many times.

As for stats to look out for:
- X to X lightning damage to spells
- % increased lightning damage
- % increased spell damage
- % global critical strike chance
- % global critical strike multiplier
- % cast speed
- +X level to all spell gems or lightning gems or intelligence gems

All are good but of course in the late game you'll get the most mileage out of crit multi and gem levels but they'll be the most expensive by far.

Here's a cheap staff to get you started if that's the weapon type you want to go with:
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Heist/NpRvt0

oof wow, had no idea. as a noobie i thought this was an awesome staff to get. thanks for clarification -_-
"
Benzoboy_ye wrote:

CWDT is only level 1, which is a level 38 requirement. if you level-up immortal call higher, it'll require CWDT to be higher, which will trigger less often then.
"
zrenda94 wrote:

This is the staff I am currently running, while having Spark on a 5-Link. I do not have the budget for a 6 link yet. How is it for a starter? Should I be running Vaal Spark or just Spark? I have not been able to find real clarity on that and have been a bit confused. The build's damage is beginning to ramp up for me as I progress, although I do not have Call of the Brotherhood yet. Should that be my next priority?

damn, this is what I should have got. Nice staff!
"
Benzoboy_ye wrote:

It’s not intuitive, but Cast When Damage Taken only works with gems at a certain level. We want CWDT to happen from lower damage hits (it takes more damage to trigger at higher levels, so we keep it at 1) which means the highest level Lightning Golem and Immortal Call can be is 3. Any higher and they won’t work with CWDT at 1.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info