[3.12] Spark / Crackling Lance Inquisitor - New Player Friendly Guide - League Starter

"
wacja wrote:
Hey first of all thanks for the build. I quite enjoyed leveling so far.
Damage is really good. But i keep struggling with my sustain. I just started doing t3-5 maps but i have a really hard time surviving :/

I took a look at your char. The build relies on offense as its primary defense.

It might be time, if you're able to, upgrade your staff to at a minimum a 6L Maelstrom staff. If you can do it, a 5L Duskdawn is even better. I had a pretty good Maelstrom Staff 6L that I recently upgraded to a 5L Duskdawn and it gave me another 35% jump in DPS from Spark alone.

Second, it might just be time to level up a bit. It'll open up more passive skills for life / damage / whatever, and it would probably help a lot at this point. I prefer to go on Delves where you're at because Spark + CL has been performing GREAT for me in the zones. Spark does a lot of fast killing when it bounces off the walls and if you get stuck / want to reach out and get something, CL has been getting it done for me.
"
Taopaipai wrote:
Heya, this is my league starter and loving it so far!

Now i'm wondering about the helmet enchant, I got 40% CL damage on Inward helmet on my first ulab run...
Dunno if id sell it, or keep it. Haven't decided yet on the CL (im using 5-link Duskdawn and 6-link rare chest for Spark)

Any thoughts?

My vote is that anything that is relevant for your build is a good enchant. The problem with CL on that helmet is that I don't know how many other builds are using both items, so I'd be apt to keep it. You can always sell it if you don't end up going with CL.
"
darkflake wrote:
Hi, i used this guide for my leaguestarter this league but for some reason i really struggle against the first conquerer fights. can someone take a quick look and help me see why i get 1shot and deal 0 dmg.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/darkflake/characters?characterName=donnerwetternocheinmal

You're probably ready for 6L across the board. One of the problems I had with SB / Spark was that I didn't have enough point damage against single targets.

I would have dropped Holy Flame Totem by this point to get more links for Orb of Storms. Lately I have been running Shorter Duration support on OoS (which kind of seems counterintuitive) but I found my targets tend to stay in the orb for short periods so it is better to get that spiked damage when they're in it.

You probably need to level up a bit more too. Lvl 71 is going to struggle at this point. It was fine to be underleveled in the acts but now that you're in maps, you will need extra horsepower.
"
Scary3074 wrote:
"
darkflake wrote:
Hi, i used this guide for my leaguestarter this league but for some reason i really struggle against the first conquerer fights. can someone take a quick look and help me see why i get 1shot and deal 0 dmg.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/darkflake/characters?characterName=donnerwetternocheinmal

You're probably ready for 6L across the board. One of the problems I had with SB / Spark was that I didn't have enough point damage against single targets.

I would have dropped Holy Flame Totem by this point to get more links for Orb of Storms. Lately I have been running Shorter Duration support on OoS (which kind of seems counterintuitive) but I found my targets tend to stay in the orb for short periods so it is better to get that spiked damage when they're in it.

You probably need to level up a bit more too. Lvl 71 is going to struggle at this point. It was fine to be underleveled in the acts but now that you're in maps, you will need extra horsepower.

O yea i kinda rushed to maps asap, didnt even notice im so far behind in levels.

thanks for the tipps and the great guide (:
Are you still using the PoB listed as the "experimental" one for CL or is there an updated one now that the league is under way? Thanks!
"
Silvano13 wrote:
Are you still using the PoB listed as the "experimental" one for CL or is there an updated one now that the league is under way? Thanks!

To be honest, I had planned on splitting this thread into two to clear up any issues between the builds. I... uh... enjoyed playing this weekend and... didn't quite get there.

I am on the "experimental" build myself but have even made changes there. You can pull my char with PoB (import, account name Scary3074, select Scary_Sparking_thief) and voila... you can see what I've done.
Alright! A5 sirius is down, cortex done, next up is uber elder. I am loving CL and Sigil of Power, but what I've found is that CL loves alt. gems.

LONG POST INCOMING - MAYBE ONLY OF INTEREST TO CRACKLING LANCE HEADS

So here's my official 3-tier rankings based off HBO's Succession:

Kendall tier (ESSENTIAL)
Phantasmal Crackling Lance: Gives you 10% cast speed, build loves cast speed. Even at 15-20 chaos this is a steal.

Phantasmal Sigil of Power: 20% spell damage and gets rid of the mana cost bump. This gem is what made me fall in love with the sigil. Most times we're not seeing the third or fourth stage of Sigil, so getting an immediate spell boost is awesome. Plus, getting rid of the mana penalty means we can keep blasting longer.

Shiv tier (All help the build, but not build defining)
Anomalous Added Cold Damage: Again, this gives us 10% cast speed, but we're actually giving something up with the ice damage boost. I think we still come out way ahead, but not as much a no brainer as the CL gem.

Divergent Vitality: This is the most expensive gem I've tried, and I'll admit it's a luxury. But still, if you're using this aura, this is just a straight up free 20% damage boost.

Anomalous Zealtotry: If you can't justify Vitality, this is a great back-up. A free 5% multiplier, what's not to like?

Divergent Inspiration: 10% reduced mana cost shaves about 5 off CL, which I take as more of a QOL upgrade, since if I forget to pop a mana flask, it will pump out a bit more damage.

Roman tier (Expensive, unnecessary, but I still want)
Anomalous CWDT: This gives 20% duration, but is also 40c at the moment. Only for the most absurdly rich.

Anomalous Inspiration: This one is like 50c, but adds 20% crit chance. I would love this on Orb of Storms to churn out more crits, but OoS is already doing its job, and the slight upgrade here can't be justified by the price... yet.

Divergent Increased Area of Effect: 10% more AOE, I use this on Sigil, and more AOE is better, but can't justify 20c for something I wouldn't notice. But will def. buy.

Connor tier (Neglected, ignored)
Orb of Storms: There's a few tasty variations, will get around to trying!

Ice Bite Support: There's some nice upgrades, but I don't think I would even notice whatever help it would give me.

Intensify: There's 3 different ones, 2 seem helpful, but the base version hooks it up with area damage, so meh!

"
darkflake wrote:

In addition, those + damage mods on your staff do not apply to spells.

The "Add x to x damage" mod on weapons only apply if you're attacking with the weapon unless it specifies that it's adding to spells or attacks for other attack skills you use. So you're not getting any benefit from the + cold/lightning damage mods on the staff. This is different than the same worded "Add x to x damage" mods on gloves, amulets, or anything else NOT on a weapon which does work for all spells and attacks. Confusing, eh?
Last edited by NemesisCW on Sep 28, 2020, 9:00:51 PM
"
brochata wrote:
Alright! A5 sirius is down, cortex done, next up is uber elder. I am loving CL and Sigil of Power, but what I've found is that CL loves alt. gems.

LONG POST INCOMING - MAYBE ONLY OF INTEREST TO CRACKLING LANCE HEADS

So here's my official 3-tier rankings based off HBO's Succession:

Kendall tier (ESSENTIAL)
Phantasmal Crackling Lance: Gives you 10% cast speed, build loves cast speed. Even at 15-20 chaos this is a steal.

Phantasmal Sigil of Power: 20% spell damage and gets rid of the mana cost bump. This gem is what made me fall in love with the sigil. Most times we're not seeing the third or fourth stage of Sigil, so getting an immediate spell boost is awesome. Plus, getting rid of the mana penalty means we can keep blasting longer.

Shiv tier (All help the build, but not build defining)
Anomalous Added Cold Damage: Again, this gives us 10% cast speed, but we're actually giving something up with the ice damage boost. I think we still come out way ahead, but not as much a no brainer as the CL gem.

Divergent Vitality: This is the most expensive gem I've tried, and I'll admit it's a luxury. But still, if you're using this aura, this is just a straight up free 20% damage boost.

Anomalous Zealtotry: If you can't justify Vitality, this is a great back-up. A free 5% multiplier, what's not to like?

Divergent Inspiration: 10% reduced mana cost shaves about 5 off CL, which I take as more of a QOL upgrade, since if I forget to pop a mana flask, it will pump out a bit more damage.

Roman tier (Expensive, unnecessary, but I still want)
Anomalous CWDT: This gives 20% duration, but is also 40c at the moment. Only for the most absurdly rich.

Anomalous Inspiration: This one is like 50c, but adds 20% crit chance. I would love this on Orb of Storms to churn out more crits, but OoS is already doing its job, and the slight upgrade here can't be justified by the price... yet.

Divergent Increased Area of Effect: 10% more AOE, I use this on Sigil, and more AOE is better, but can't justify 20c for something I wouldn't notice. But will def. buy.

Connor tier (Neglected, ignored)
Orb of Storms: There's a few tasty variations, will get around to trying!

Ice Bite Support: There's some nice upgrades, but I don't think I would even notice whatever help it would give me.

Intensify: There's 3 different ones, 2 seem helpful, but the base version hooks it up with area damage, so meh!

Keep your posts coming! I enjoy reading what you have to say.

I’m trying out your two must have alt versions of CL and Sigil. I tried out sigil a bit and I’m not sold yet but haven’t given it a fair shake. Also, I put awakened ALD on CL and it’s slowly finding more use than Spark.

Also, this is the official Inquisitor Crackling Lance thread that follows my shell.
Last edited by Scary3074 on Sep 29, 2020, 4:04:29 AM
Hey Im new at the game and its my first season. This build is my first build I can say. Problem is, I copied pastebin link to PoB community fork and it doesn't work. Today I can't find passive skill tree in web page. Can you add passive skill tree to the page again please?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info