Tempest Shield

"
Porkeh wrote:
Why exactly would block become more value the more you have? 4% is 4%, regardless of what you're adding it to.

That's not true. If you already have 60% block chance for example, another 4% will reduce the dmg you take ( 100% - 60% = 40%) by 4%/40% = 10%.

That's why tempest shield can become pretty powerfull if you have close to maxblock.
can someone tell me why the reserved mana jumps from 25% to 35% at a certain point?
when? you're not looking on the wiki, right? the cost shouldn't change upwards for percentage skills.
"
AusterlitZ wrote:
can someone tell me why the reserved mana jumps from 25% to 35% at a certain point?

The % reserved on this skill, (or any % reserved skill) should only have gone up when linking them to supports that increase skill costs, not through level progression of the skill.
As stated above(as a user of tempest shield) my costs only went up when a support gem stated that it would when i put it in. I have not seen any other increase.

So far though i have really enjoyed this skill.Since i am going sword and board templar while building block, it is a excellent skill in my case.

Currently i also plan to use auras alongside it.I only use heavy strike and shield charge as my attacks.The rest is to support my groups.So in all respects i am more of a pally from D2 lol

As for the skill going off after block or anything, i haven't seen it do that.I have had the effect go off multiple times from different enemies and only shut off when i hit the button by accident or switch areas.

What i would like to see is a lightning bolt leap out from my shield on block to strike the enemy rather than it just appearing on them which is odd if they area projectile user.

As for the guy who wants it balanced for pvp, already is in my opinion.
I think it's not horrible, but it scales pretty bad imo. I tend to use it for like 40 levels then remove it. The damage going up isn't worth the % mana reserve I feel, and as I level a shield char I'll tend to get more block through passives or better shields(especially with the block % mod coming in OB) so the 4% becomes less and less appealing, and truthfully the damage doesn't matter most of the time I feel. I think this should get a small block% increase over the levels. Doesn't need to be crazy but for example 1% every 5points so it ends at 8% at lvl 20. That or making it non % based but that'd be way too good I feel and would be a must have on any shield build.

Another way to buff it would be to give it block recovery % scaling with the lvl of the gem. Not a big deal but that could be useful for certain builds I think.
4% block is in relative terms more and more effective the closer you get to 100%. Going from 20% to 24% block isn't as impactful as going from 66% to 70%.
When you look at hits that pass your shield, the difference is 5% fewer versus 11.75% fewer; more than twice as strong in relative terms.

Tempest Shield is rad when supported by Elemental Proliferation, and with Static Blows. It'll automatically Shock groups of enemies without your input, and it will improve its own damage output considerably.

I'm not opposed to a buff though :) It's a little... plain.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 21, 2013, 11:38:53 AM
Might as well find a way to let Staffs (and maybe even dual wield) use the skill. It's not as good for them because of their lower block value, but I think it fits well in what a staff build should be able to do (i.e. counter-attack).
When you level up a skill or support gem that is in your shield slots, Tempest Shield is toggled off regardless of where the Tempest Shield gem is placed in your gear.

I assume this is where I would post such an issue.

EDIT: Tempest Shield is also toggled off on a zone change.

EDIT 2: If you toggle off Tempest Shield manually, and still have 25% of max mana remaining, Tempest Shield will automatically toggle itself back on, without pressing the keybind twice.
Last edited by Vykall on Jan 22, 2013, 3:41:05 PM
When you level up a gem, the item it is socketed in, is unequipped for a fraction of a second. No shield -> no Tempest Shield.

TS disables itself during zone transitions because it bugs out if it's tranferred like Auras are.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 22, 2013, 4:04:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info