Shock Nova

So freaking useless with the deadzone... ridiculous...
Make shock nova like diablo2, pleeeeeeease !

Edit : Checking all the other posts, it seems that it has been 2 years now that this skill is useless because of deadzone. And nothing happened. LOL.
I really enjoy that you constantly add new skills to the game, but have a look at the useless existing ones. There could be very easy fixes that would make these skills useful again. And it would result in pretty much the same as adding new ones.
Last edited by JPK_ on Apr 22, 2014, 8:54:51 PM
I wonder, how big is the dead zone with Concentrated Effect? Clearly, you need to use some tactics to hit properly with this skill, but that shouldn't make it useless.

Like Arc, high-Quality Shock Nova has a large chance to shock, so you can triple-shock everything if you can hit reliably. That's something in its favour. One approach would be to use Shock Nova to kill most of a pack (plus shock the survivors with Elemental Proliferation) and then use some other skill to mop up.

I think removing the dead zone would be a bad idea, as the skill would become too much of a no-brainer. Non-lightning casters especially would just use it as an easy-peasy way of shocking a huge pack of mobs all at once.
Considering the recent buffs to Arc, I think a buff to Shock Nova is warranted. Granted it is very efficient in shocking mobs, but unlike Arc (which also has good shocking potential with quality), you need to stand close to the mobs and can't just kill them from away.

Looking at the changes of the number of chains for Arc, I wonder if the dead zone could be reduced with higher gem levels.
According to the Shock Nova article in the wiki, currently the AOE is between 14 and 26 radius.

Maybe it could be changed to something like:
Lvl.|Inner.|Outer
1...|14....|23...
2...|13....|23...
3...|12....|23...
4...|11....|23...
5...|10....|23...
6...|10....|23...
7...|9.....|23...
8...|9.....|24...
9...|8.....|24...
10..|8.....|24...
11..|8.....|24...
12..|7.....|24...
13..|7.....|24...
14..|7.....|25...
15..|7.....|25...
16..|6.....|25...
17..|6.....|25...
18..|6.....|25...
19..|6.....|26...
20..|5.....|26...

Also a damage buff would be required (similar to Arc and AB).
Nova spells in all games serve one role: close-range defense. At the very least the dead zone means that Shock Nova can't fulfill that role, thus it's not a nova, thus it should be renamed to Shock Donut. Shock Donut is not a very useful spell. Targeting is difficult and awkward, the time spent positioning means lost DPS. It's not exactly useless, but it's not terribly useful either, since almost any other spell is better. It doesn't work as a primary offensive skill, and it doesn't work as a fallback.
Here are the two changes I would propose to fix the skill.

Motivation:
Right now if my ping is low and I've recently his my /OOS macro, the skill is amazing and fun. High dps, challenging geometrical analysis needed to hit 3+ mobs at the same time.

If ping is high or I'm a little out of sync, the skill is a death trap (stand still to cast, don't hit anything).

Change 1
Leave some kind of mark on the ground where the shock nova has hit. Kind of like scorch /burn marks or something. Not shocked ground, just a visual indicator. This is server-side authoritative, so if you see marks not lining up with where you think you're hitting, then you can just hit your /OOS macro and get back to work.

Change 2
Change the deadzone from having no effect on mobs to having reduced damage but increased shock chance. So if R is the radius where the dead zone starts now, have shock chance and damage scale like this:
Case 1: r<R. Shock chance proportional to 1/r. (closer mobs shocked more often.) Damage scales like r (further mobs damaged more).
Case 2: r=R. Here the shock chance is equal to that given from the gem (Depends on quality) and the damage is the normal sill damage
Case 3: r>R. No change from current.

So basically if mobs are in the deadzone, they won't get damaged but will get shocked. Like lightning version of freeze mine.

Last edited by Modificus on May 23, 2014, 7:59:11 AM
I figured out how to get rid of the dead zone on this skill.

1. Equip Pyre Ring to Convert all Cold Damage to Fire Damage
2. Equip Three Dragons Mask to Allow Fire Damage to Shock
3. Equip Frost Nova Skill Gem with desired links.

Cheers

Dead zone on this skill.

No one want to use it.

I hope shock nova is change for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV-0GXCJJAA

Last edited by play2013 on Aug 11, 2014, 1:01:44 PM
All the skills buffed in 1.2 didn't need a buff as much as this does. Day 193819203, Shock Nova is still useless.
"
Fatto wrote:
All the skills buffed in 1.2 didn't need a buff as much as this does. Day 193819203, Shock Nova is still useless.

This.... The dead zone is effectively larger than the kill zone. This skill has a huge drawback mechanic and no beneficial mechanic. What the hell is the point of that? Here's fireball but 60% of the time it misses....there's no catch, just that. Why would anyone use that? Same deal.

I thought a major part of last patch was making skills that people don't use usable once more. Don't add another skill, fix some of the glaringly borked ones like this one. This could be a fun skill to use but it has nothing but negatives going for it... You could literally triple Shock Nova's damage and I still wouldn't use it.
I'm shocked by the lack of buffs in 1.2. I've seen some weirdos use it with traps but I want to be able to selfcast this spell T_T

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info