Infernal Blow

This skill had explosions on kill which may or may not win over compared to gem supported heavy blow.
Yes shock boosts burning damage because the foe is taking 40% (per stack of shock) more damage from all sources.
depending on passives and supports, can have it that a killing blow will remove the rest of the monsters via burning or the explosion itself. You're already planning on burning +elemental prolif so you're set there.
There is a unique boots, a unique ring (can have two of them), and a passive to increase number of curses on foes. So up to 5 curses, more if i missed any uniques listed on its respective thread. However curse cost a lot currently.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
would fire penetration affect the explosion part of this skill?

No, just tested it.

Edit: Ok, it works on monsters with fire resistance. Apparently monsters can't have less than 0 resistance.

No fire res:
Without FP: http://tau.rghost.ru/42135691/image.png
With FP: http://higgs.rghost.ru/42135689/image.png

Fire resistant monsters:
Without FP: http://higgs.rghost.ru/42135743/image.png
With FP: http://higgs.rghost.ru/42135745/image.png
Last edited by dspair on Dec 10, 2012, 1:51:24 AM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
would fire penetration affect the explosion part of this skill?
Yes. The explosion is damage dealt to targets by the skill, it will apply the fire penetration support's stat at the point that damage is dealt.
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
Infernal blow:
  • 42% Increased Physical damage
  • 50% of physical converted to fire
  • 112% of base damage dealt

Glacial Hammer:
  • 42% increased physical
  • 50% of physical converted to cold
  • 125% of base damage dealt
  • 75% more elemental damage

Your gear:
  • Min Physical: 66
  • Max Physical: 100
  • Min Fire: 35
  • Max Fire: 62
  • Min Light: 6
  • Max Light: 70
  • Min Cold: 11
  • Max Cold: 27
  • Increased Elemental Damage: 24%
  • Increased Light Damage: 10%

Your Skills:
  • Elemental Damage: 138%
  • Fire Damage: 84%

Total Strength: 332 = 66.4% physical

(Some rounding issues here, but this should be accurate)
Infernal Blow:
Min Physical = 66 * (1 + 0.42 + 0.664) * 1.12 * 0.5 = 77
Max Physical = 110 * "" = 117

Fire = converted physical + base fire damage
converted = 66 * (1 + 0.42 + 0.664 + 0.24 + 1.38 + 0.84) * 1.12 * 0.5 = 167.9
base = 35 * (1 + 0.24 + 1.38 + 0.84) * 1.12 = 135.6
Min Fire = 304 (531 if you have weapon Ele damage on it)
Max Fire = 495 (865 with weapon ele)

Cold = dmg * (1 + 0.24 + 1.38) * 1.12 =
32-79 (56-139 with weapon ele)

Lightning = dmg * (1 + 0.24 + 0.1 * 1.38) * 1.12 =
18-213 (32-373 with weapon ele)

So all of the "75% more" numbers match up exactly with what you listed for Infernal Blow, so I assume that the numbers you listed were with the skill linked to Weapon Elemental Damage.

Glacial Hammer:
Min Physical = 66 * (1 + 0.42 + 0.664) * 1.25 * 0.5 = 86
Max Physical = 100 * "" = 130

Fire = damage * (1 + 0.24 + 1.38 + 0.84) * 1.25 * 1.75 = 265-469

Lightning = damage * (1 + 0.24 + 0.1 + 1.38) * 1.25 * 1.75 = 36-417

Cold Damage is like what we did above, we have to add in the physical that's converted to the base damage.
phys * (1 + 0.42 + 0.664 + 0.24 + 1.38) * 1.25 * 1.75 =
267-405
cold * (1 + 0.24 + 1.38) * 1.25 * 1.75 = 63-155
Total Cold = 330-560

Again, matches up exactly with your numbers. As you can see (most clearly with the pure physical damage portion) Glacial Hammer has a 1.25 multiplier on it, and Infernal Blow only has a 1.12 multiplier on it.

So, yes, your 84% bonus fire damage is factoring in.

Hopefully Mark can comment on this and let me know where I messed up that made my numbers 1-5 higher than yours (the game must not carry fractions or something).

Amazing post! I wish more people would show calculations with your amount of detail, that way the community would not be so in the dark.

I hope that mark scans through your calculations and confirms if they are correct.

Few things:
-Are you sure that the % multipliers are done on the base elemental damage(from weapons) and from the skill elemental damage separately? Or are they added together and then multiplied by appropriate % modifiers?

-I think you made a mistake in the Glacial hammer physical and cold damage calculations. You added the 75% modifier to physical damage even though it only applies to weapon elemental damage. Also, you did not multiply it by 0.5, remember only 50% of the damage is physical.

-Calculations do not figure in enemy defense resistances. With the base elements from weapons it's pretty simple enough. But with the physical to elemental conversion skills we do not know where in the order of calculations the enemy defense plays into the calculations. For instance is the physical damage first reduced and then the elemental damage calculated off the reduced physical damage? Or is the elemental damage calculated first before defense reductions?

I'm in the process of making a spreadsheet to help the community. If mark responds I will know the calculations are accurate.
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
Last edited by geffreyy on Dec 23, 2012, 8:25:32 PM
"For instance is the physical damage first reduced and then the elemental damage calculated off the reduced physical damage? Or is the elemental damage calculated first before defense reductions?"

Rule of thumb: Damage before Defense.

When an attack is initiated, its damage is rolled. Every character-side damage modifier is applied. Then the various hit checks are done; accuracy vs. evasion, block, Dodge (don't know in what order, I always forget. Maybe the Mechanics Thread knows). If the attack lands, enemy-side damage modifiers are applied. Damage increases (Vulnerability, Crit Weakness, the likes) are calculated before armor and resists are applied.
Okay, that's what I thought.

I made an interactive spreadsheet using Rabbit's methods. Assuming he is correct then the spreadsheet should perform the calculations correctly.

I also included the ability to change the enemy's armor and resistances. It will display the final damage after damage mitigation, as well as % mitigated.

I included some gem calculations. Fire/Cold/Lightning Penetration, Weapon elemental damage and Melee Weapon damage.

So far only the Infernal Blow skill is functional

The modifiers for these skills and gems I kind of guessed from the wiki pages. For Infernal blow I used: Gem Level*2 + (Gem level -3) = added physical Damage%. The values on the wiki seem to match.

Here is the spreadsheet
http://www.4shared.com/file/77daq-v0/POE_Damage.html

The green cells are the cells that accept user input. The red cells display outputs. I tried to make it as simple and intuitive as possible without too much extraneous info.

Enjoy.
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
Last edited by geffreyy on Dec 24, 2012, 2:23:58 AM
this skill cant compete to other AOE and it cant compete to other single target.

everybody knows that.
only reason to use it, is because it looks nice.

its not unique enough. the idea is there, but it wasnt finished in the right way i think.

how about giving it culling strike and 100% corpse dmg with 0% crit chance?

i mean this skill with crit chance and ele. prof or so? this is total crap. first you pull mobs together that everybody gets dmg in this tiny AOE-radius.
and then they run away again?!?!

i repeat: its just too weak. since Heavy-strike was unnecasserely buffed to
"150% effectiv." instead of "150% base physical" this is even more the case.
inf.blow is useless and noone would miss it in its current state.
with a little work, this and detonate dead can kill other mobs in one hit (lots of damage boosts) or via burning.
Yeah this skill isn't good at all. Even if you specialize in fire element damage you would probably get more horsepower out of Heavy Strike with Added Fire Damage support. The AoE component is nothing to speak of due to the tiny radius.
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
"
geffreyy wrote:
Yeah this skill isn't good at all. Even if you specialize in fire element damage you would probably get more horsepower out of Heavy Strike with Added Fire Damage support. The AoE component is nothing to speak of due to the tiny radius.

I don´t agree. AoE-radius can be increased by quite a lot via passives and supports.
Heavy strike will always be a single target skill, while IB can be made into effective AoE-hit.

IB however requires quite a lot from your build and gear. Heavy strike is much easier option. But they aren´t that comparable dps-wise.
IGN: N_Bohr

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info