Molten Strike

sry nvm, mistype/editing

"
Dmillz wrote:
"
Damage conversion happens last I think, so Melee Physical Damage works on the damage before conversion is applied.

Not with the Gem it doesn't. There seems to be a lot of confusion in here about tooltip dps. The tooltip DPS on molten strike is straight up WRONG. The tooltip only shows the initial melee hits damage, it does NOT show the damage from projectiles. This is why Melee Phys Gem seems awesome, but isn't, and Iron Grip seems to do nothing.

Melee Physical Damage gem will ONLY increase the INITIAL HIT damage, exactly like with Lightning Strike. It DOES NOT increase the damage of the projectiles at all.

On the flip side, Iron Grip will NOT increase the initial hits damage, but it WILL increase all of the damage from the projectiles.

This makes it very tough to test, as the only way to test is by kill speed and we have no numbers.

IMO the best links so far:
Molten Strike + Multistrike + WED + LGoH + (Fire Pen/Conc Effect/Inc AOE)

yes

if link chain = LESS damage = my tooltip dps drops
if link GMP = LESS projectile damage = my tooltip dps stays the same

someone does not read tooltip dps, and makes conclusions from it!

e2/
so if I link LMP+GMP
I still have a 120%attack, (and I gain a 9projectile loh)
but I have 120*0.6*0.5*0.7 = 25.2%projectile damage

if I link GMP-CHAIN
I do a 60%attack damage
but I have a 60%*0.6*0.5 = 18%projectile damage that hits 200%MORE vs multitargets
Last edited by Tommyvv on May 1, 2014, 4:27:21 PM
In the case of the projectiles I'm curious about point blank, how does it apply to them and how can it be tested? I mean the projectiles don't travel far but do they travel enough for point blank's treshold to kick in, etc..? I hope GGG sheds more light on this skill mechanics and its supports
My guides
HC melee ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/507976
HC RF scion: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/666667
HC RF marauder: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/842382
RF resource guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/832331
"
Necropotence wrote:
In the case of the projectiles I'm curious about point blank, how does it apply to them and how can it be tested? I mean the projectiles don't travel far but do they travel enough for point blank's treshold to kick in, etc..? I hope GGG sheds more light on this skill mechanics and its supports

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Point_Blank
Damage bonus/penalty is as follows:
Distance 0 to 10: 50%
Distance 10 to 35: scales linearly from 50% down to 0%
Distance 35 to 120: scales linearly from 0% down to -100%

For reference, melee weapon range is 5 for one-handed and 6 for two-handed weapons, cold snap has an area of effect radius of 15.
IGN: Dmillz
Physical Projectile Attack Damage? (seems good to scale projectile damage, but it doesn't affect the initial melee attack)
Added Fire Damage? (I like this)
Faster Attacks? (I like this too)
LMP/GMP? (damage penalty isn't really worth it imo, seems better to get really high IAS instead)
Point Blank? (can get on tree)
Iron Grip? (can get on tree)

I think these are musts:
Molten Strike - Multistrike, Life Gain on Hit, Weapon Elemental Damage

I was thinking AoF Molten Strike would be pretty awesome, in which case I would include Fire Penetration.
Last edited by mimivirus on May 1, 2014, 5:35:18 PM
"
Dmillz wrote:
"
Damage conversion happens last I think, so Melee Physical Damage works on the damage before conversion is applied.

Not with the Gem it doesn't. There seems to be a lot of confusion in here about tooltip dps. The tooltip DPS on molten strike is straight up WRONG. The tooltip only shows the initial melee hits damage, it does NOT show the damage from projectiles. This is why Melee Phys Gem seems awesome, but isn't, and Iron Grip seems to do nothing.

Melee Physical Damage gem will ONLY increase the INITIAL HIT damage, exactly like with Lightning Strike. It DOES NOT increase the damage of the projectiles at all.

On the flip side, Iron Grip will NOT increase the initial hits damage, but it WILL increase all of the damage from the projectiles.

This makes it very tough to test, as the only way to test is by kill speed and we have no numbers.

IMO the best links so far:
Molten Strike + Multistrike + WED + LGoH + (Fire Pen/Conc Effect/Inc AOE)

So the projectile calculation works from the base damage of the melee hit and has its own modifier list?
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on May 1, 2014, 5:53:41 PM
"
LostForm wrote:
So the projectile calculation works from the base damage of the melee hit and has its own modifier list?

Base = Gear + Passives. Yes.
So let me get this clear.

1. Melee physical GEM will NOT increase the damage of the 3 molten projectile.
2. Melee physical PASSIVE SKILL WILL increase the damage of the 3 molten projectile since it is based on a % of the initial hit damage?
"
Oakville wrote:

2. Melee physical PASSIVE SKILL WILL increase the damage of the 3 molten projectile since it is based on a % of the initial hit damage?

I would read about Lightning Strike to understand Molten Strike.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lightning_Strike
"
Oakville wrote:

1. Correct
2. Depends on the passive. Physical Damage with X Melee Weapon works. Melee Damage doesn't work.
Last edited by Dmillz on May 1, 2014, 6:17:27 PM
Does anybody know if the projectiles do physical + fire, or JUST fire damage? This makes a huge difference in my passive tree.

Initial hit = 120% of base, 60% converted to fire. 100 base damage. 120 initial hit (72 is fire). Projectiles do the same damage (but 40% less).

OR

Initial hit = 120% of base, 60% converted to fire. 100 base damage. 120 initial hit (72 is fire). Projectiles do pure fire damage for entire hit = 120 fire (but 40% less)

OR

Initial hit = 120% of base, 60% converted to fire. 100 base damage. 120 initial hit (72 is fire). Projectiles do pure fire damage for fire portion only = 72 fire (but 40% less)
Last edited by Dmillz on May 1, 2014, 6:24:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info