Elden Ring is PoE Killer

"
rekikyo wrote:
"
Izrakhan wrote:
"
rekikyo wrote:
Lmfao. 009, Elden tbh looks good, but it’s more like Resident Evil VIII in its appearance and play, except you have a mount.

I like the fact they are trying a game without a specified class, but more customization; something they learned from Poe or Korean mangas.

It also kind of plays on the hero killer trope which is a rare mmo premise. (Except these are mutated ex heroes).

My only problem with Elden Ring: too much game. It either has too much content for the current me to manage, or has to have continued and high upkeep costs to pay for playing. There’s no way it’s just buy electronic and go forever.

Soulsborne games go back to 2009 with the release of PS3's Demon's Souls. They're all similar in the highly customizable base classes.

Remember Dark Stone back on PS1?

Not saying they don’t exist, and I think Soulsborne is related to this game?

I'm just saying FROM has been making these ARPGs work like this before GGG. The idea is really nothing new.

D&D toyed with the idea through multi-classing which was real fun in the latter versions.

So PoE isn't breaking any ground there. PoE has an amazingly complicated skill tree. That much is true.

GGG has this concept of PoE as early as 2006. It took them 7 years to release, but the concept is that old. Most games class locked at that point.
Last edited by rekikyo on Feb 27, 2022, 1:57:57 AM
"
rekikyo wrote:

GGG has this concept of PoE as early as 2006. It took them 7 years to release, but the concept is that old. Most games class locked at that point.

I'm not sure why you can't let go of this. Demon's Souls came out in 2009. PoE 2013.
"
Izrakhan wrote:
"
rekikyo wrote:

I'm not sure why you can't let go of this. Demon's Souls came out in 2009. PoE 2013.

Demon souls had funding. PoE was built on slow donations. It took GGG three times as long to develop. The concept was 2006.
There is precisely zero chance that FromSoftware got its 'class ideas' from PoE/GGG, dude. I doubt their devs are even aware of PoE. It's not exactly a big game in Japan. PoE innovated a fair bit within the ARPG Diablo-clone subgenre but let's not overstate its impact here.

As for Darkstone? It was a PC game first and foremost; pretty sure I played it on release. Some good ideas -- one of the first Diablo clones with a rotatable camera -- but again, old Western PC studio with absolutely nothing to do with FromSoftware.

If anything, it'd be Delphine's other titles back in the day that seem to have some passing genetic resemblance to Souls-like games: Another World, Flashback...very Prince of Persia inspired stuff wherein you can die very quickly.

But saying PoE had even the slightest influence on FromSoftware, who've been doing their own thing since 1994 with King's Field? This is a very...very strange hill to die on.

Also, 'Korean manga'? Uh....what?

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 27, 2022, 10:40:34 PM
"
rekikyo wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:

Lost Ark and Elden ring aren't competition for PoE aside from coming out at a time window that coincides. LA only gonna compete with mmos and Elden ring doesn't compete its a X hour singleplayer experience many of us are gonna enjoy the fuck out of.

I disagree (before you say hypocrite, wait).
LA has nothing in common with PoE, and it’s age group is different.

How many times can you spout this nonsense when the evidence is in your face?

The massive drop in players immediately when LA released in the west. MANY POE streamers switching top LA for the launch(yes they will return to POE when they hit a wall or get bored).

It's reached the point where it's not even worth reading anything you post.
Played it for 2-3 hours.

It's a niche dark souls copy-pasta.

The graphics are ,,ok,, even below average the gameplay is for masochists

There isnt a single tutorial in the game and i deleted it after 2.5 hours.

WITH joy.

That game has blatant story, lame gameplay and below average graphics.

My score is 4/10.

God of War is vastly superior in each way possible.

And if u want tough bosses, just increase the difficulty and try to kill the valkiries on hardest.
Of course the gameplay is for masochists lol. This is a FROMSOFTWARE game. This is what they're known for, and loved for I might add. Dark Souls in famous for its difficulty, so why would you ever expect this game to be any different lol?
I'm still enjoying it, top notch open world design.
Is PoE dead yet..?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info