Elden Ring is PoE Killer

Currently at mixed rating (60%) mainly due to performance issues (micro stutters / bad frame rates).

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Feb 25, 2022, 3:47:20 AM
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
I'll just leave this here...

However, unlike LA, it seems like ER can actually be run with Wine (Proton), so once they sort out the performance issues, I really am tempted to give it a try.

Check my comments in the proper thread for the game. I hope you do get to give it a go. 90 bucks is a big drop but I already know I'm getting a few hundred hours out of this. I resisted all hype but figured From had a good chance of pulling off their Souls/Skyrim/Breath of the wild hybrid. And they did.

HMU on discord sometime. Im sure the other Exiles I have on there are sick and tired of my ER shillery (although tbf I have had to deal with a lot of LA praise of late, so eh turnabouts fair play and all).

As for that mixed...dude. It's steam. Situational performance issues are an acknowledged problem but there's no way in hell they detract from everything the game gets right. I am on ps5 though so maybe PC really is that bad. FROM will probably be on it sooner rather than later. If not, oh well. There's always PoE I guess.

Edit: okay tbf it really does seem like a bad PC port. My condolences. I'm far from a From advocate most days but ER is hitting all my happy points. But that is on Ps5 for which it was designed; a bad port can ruin everything. I hope they get it up to scratch. Working as intended, it's a game I think most fans of the RPG genre should experience. I haven't been this sucked in since Oblivion.

Okay back to stalking hapless guards om the road and trying not to think about the big bad just past them...
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 25, 2022, 5:09:08 AM
"
trixxar wrote:
Semi serious question, can anyone really thing of a game that killed another game?

Really good games seem to raise interest in similar games, not kill them.

Im going off topic but just wondering.

I think World of Warcraft put Everquest on life support.
8 mod maps are the new alch and go.
"
zakalwe55 wrote:
"
trixxar wrote:
Semi serious question, can anyone really thing of a game that killed another game?

I think World of Warcraft put Everquest on life support.

It put the entire MMO genre on notice. EQ was already running out of steam and rivals like DAoC were improving on stuff EQ couldn't fix due to engine limitations, but WoW split the timeline in two.

Oddly I think Elden Ring is a Souls killer. As in, it makes former Souls games feel like smaller scale experiments. You'd have to really love something particular about an older Souls game to go back from this level of freedom. Of course right now that thing might be "well at least it works on PC", heh.

But generally a game dies before it can be killed. In a way, it's a compliment to any game that is so successful it needs to be killed by another single game and its murder is noticeable. Far more common is people just move on in different directions.

They say it's easier to destroy than it is to create but I think it's probably easier for devs to create their own game than deliberately destroy someone else's. Naturally, easiest of all is destroying their own....or at least wounding it so that someone else can offer something less limp.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"

Check my comments in the proper thread for the game. I hope you do get to give it a go. 90 bucks is a big drop but I already know I'm getting a few hundred hours out of this. I resisted all hype but figured From had a good chance of pulling off their Souls/Skyrim/Breath of the wild hybrid. And they did.

HMU on discord sometime. Im sure the other Exiles I have on there are sick and tired of my ER shillery (although tbf I have had to deal with a lot of LA praise of late, so eh turnabouts fair play and all).

As for that mixed...dude. It's steam. Situational performance issues are an acknowledged problem but there's no way in hell they detract from everything the game gets right. I am on ps5 though so maybe PC really is that bad. FROM will probably be on it sooner rather than later. If not, oh well. There's always PoE I guess.

Edit: okay tbf it really does seem like a bad PC port. My condolences. I'm far from a From advocate most days but ER is hitting all my happy points. But that is on Ps5 for which it was designed; a bad port can ruin everything. I hope they get it up to scratch. Working as intended, it's a game I think most fans of the RPG genre should experience. I haven't been this sucked in since Oblivion.

Okay back to stalking hapless guards om the road and trying not to think about the big bad just past them...

Thanks for the heads up. So I'll wait for a bit until things get sorted out and perhaps grab it on a sale or full price. :o)
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
I get that this thread was created because OP knows just how well Elden Ring will actually do, and to help copium might as well try to make the thread early? I guess.

Either way, yes it's actually true, Elden Ring is the PoE killer, for me. Sure In two whole months maybe *maybe* I'll hop back on to PoE quick. But the league is over for me boys. I've got 10.5 hours into ER already, and MAYBE I've seen 5% of the game. I've fought like... One true boss? Two if you count the asshole on his horse WHICH I FINALLY GOT FUCK OFF HORSE DUDE. Anyway. And I'm doing one single build (hopefully some UGS exist, haven't spoiled anything so idk), and I plan on making every build and playthrough I can.

ER is fucking fantastic. And I'm playing on PC. Yea, racing to a new area you haven't loaded completely will get you a couple microstutters, but then they go away. Hell ER is already at a far more stable state then CP2077 was, and I'm confident it'll get some updates.

But holy hell, they somehow did it. I reallllllly didn't think they could bring dark souls to open world (huge fan of 1 / 2 / 3) but THIS is how you do open world. Breath of the wild should be ashamed, Horizon should be ashamed, every studio who thought they understood open world needs to sit down and put 200 hours into this. This is how it's done.

Is this Dark souls with combat? Check.
Still giant castles / levels that feel like the best DS3 levels? Check
Open world area but every 100 square feet feels like it has something? Check
Fantastic graphics? Check
Awesome Day / night / weather pattern cycles? Check
Quite literally the only 'open world' game I've played to get using a mount correctly and not make it feel tedious? Check
Does the mount have a sprint and a double jump? Fuckin double check
Collection of materials to craft, but you don't *have* to farm? Check
More secrets then your favorite Zeldas combined? Checkkkk
Combat feels fluid and responsive, even better then all Dark souls? Check

Anyway I can go on, but hopefully ya get the point. I was very honestly skeptical of ER before release, I've just had too many games hyped up too much. It's worth the money though holy hell. This isn't game of the year material, this is game of the decade material.

"
trixxar wrote:

It happens but there aren't many examples as the criteria kind force them out

Its gotta be a GaaS/multiplayer or the concept of dead isn't really a thing, has to be in the same space competing for the same players for the same reasons.

So like heroes of newerth and Dota 2, whatever the Blops BR was called and Warzone (ironically killing their own stuff), SCII filtered out tons of rts players from other titles, Valorant probably did but thats not in my wheelhouse so I can't make a good enough case myself.

D4 could kill PoE, but nothing else that gets posted about could apart from GGG themselves. Its also extremely unlikely D4 will kill anything for obvious reasons, i'll be surprised if it even comes out in a semi finished state.

Lost Ark and Elden ring aren't competition for PoE aside from coming out at a time window that coincides. LA only gonna compete with mmos and Elden ring doesn't compete its a X hour singleplayer experience many of us are gonna enjoy the fuck out of.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Feb 25, 2022, 10:18:00 AM
seems like a combination of skyrim with dark souls...Do not like either so..
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
"
zakalwe55 wrote:
"
Moridin79 wrote:
It's looking like an everything killer at this point...

95 on PC Metacritic right now. $60 bucks though.

Should I buy the $30 Kirac Vault Pass or Elden Ring?

I find the vault pass pretty cringe and won't be buying it but I would encourage you to buy what you like. Apparently ER is FromSoftware's Magnum Opus and one of the best games ever. I'm a huge huge souls fan and have not purchased it yet, let alone played it, as I'm still on the Poe train for the time being. I did put over 1k hours into bloodborne so you can get a lot out of souls games if they click with you.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950
"
Moridin79 wrote:
"
zakalwe55 wrote:
"
Moridin79 wrote:
It's looking like an everything killer at this point...

95 on PC Metacritic right now. $60 bucks though.

Should I buy the $30 Kirac Vault Pass or Elden Ring?

I find the vault pass pretty cringe and won't be buying it but I would encourage you to buy what you like. Apparently ER is FromSoftware's Magnum Opus and one of the best games ever. I'm a huge huge souls fan and have not purchased it yet, let alone played it, as I'm still on the Poe train for the time being. I did put over 1k hours into bloodborne so you can get a lot out of souls games if they click with you.

I could be wrong, but I think he was being sarcastic (about Kirac's Vault Pass).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info