Diablo 4 does not have a chance to compete....

The unfinished not close to release followup of the reminder how a popular arpg can fail from a studio where things haven't gone well indeed can't live up to the current titan.

It'll sell well, still.
Did you try turning it off and on again?
Was Diablo even called ARPG back in the days. I remember we used to call these games HnS (hack and slash).
"
Aynix wrote:
Was Diablo even called ARPG back in the days. I remember we used to call these games HnS (hack and slash).

Son, sit down and listen carefully.

HnS , dungeon crawler are derivatives of the ARPG genre.

Diablo paved the way and shaped the ARPG genre for what we have to this very day. Countless diablo imitations since have inspired but failed. Back in 1998, Diablo was the industry leading ARPG and still is considered today by many purists. D1/D2 both radically popularize the ARPG genre.

PoE is without a doubt the greatest ARPG we have today but the distinction with being a racer is blurred and unfortunately, PoE glides on a razor’s edge....
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
Yeah yeah, nice copy pasta. I didnt ask what wiki says about Diablo. Im asking if people actually called Diablo ARPG because me and my friends definitely did not use term ARPG back then.
I don't believe that blizzard is still capable of making great games like how they built their brand on. They directly threw out the audience that got them to where they are.
"
Anton__Chigur wrote:
I don't believe that blizzard is still capable of making great games like how they built their brand on. They directly threw out the audience that got them to where they are.

What a lot of people don't realize either, is that the actual talent that founded Blizzard and created their best games is gone. Every single founder that was actually there has left, and the one that remains left before WoW to become a hedge fund manager (iirc), and just recently came back. And of course now they've been absorbed by Activision.

So, what is Blizzard now is only in name, and is controlled by something else. If you're still a fan of Blizzard but only because of their older games, you're now just a fan of a zombie - it's dead and being controlled.
I had to LOL when I scrolled down to find that very very literal skill tree lol
TBH I am looking forward to Diablo 4. I don't think it'll be a better game than PoE (or even PoE 2), but having some fresh eyes in the Blizz team to work on a new Diablo game might bring some new ideas to the ARPG genre. We all know that ARPG devs tend to borrow from each other, so it can only be good for PoE in the long run.
Blizzard is aiming for a such large audience now that it's even hard to put both games on the same line as competitors, even if both try to get as many people in they just don't target the same people : poe would deter most of people from the great public while probably retaining many of the former Diablo 1/2 fans and/or people who seek a certain complexity, while D4 is supposed to retain as many people as possible generally speaking, no matter their preference, which of course ends up in the oversimplification of the game's mechanics and stripping off its identity to please everyone.
📜My hideout thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2542497
Last edited by Synopsis on Jan 9, 2021, 3:00:42 AM
If Blizzard wouldnt be a shadow of themself i would be rly hyped for D4.But after playing D3 i dont expect much from them >-< .

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info