I Think I Figured Out Why Cyberpunk Sux

I have a suspicion that most of the actual game-mechanical elements and open world content of CP2077 were scrapped and started again no more than 18 months ago, and quite possibly considerably more recently than that.

Because it feels like two different games that don't mesh together well. One is the actual story driven roleplaying bit which feels really polished and well designed, and the other is the game mechanics and open world content and that bit feels super rushed and half of them don't work.

And these games have nothing to do with each other. The story doesn't care how many of the various gang chods you've shot doing the open world stuff and rather a lot of the missions don't use your character sheet at all (not only no combat but also almost no ability to use stats or perks you've chosen other than occasionally Intelligence).

Meanwhile the big overarching supposed consequence of the main plot does not affect you whilst you trundle around tidying up all the dots on the map.
Last edited by GloatingSwine on Dec 28, 2020, 5:16:50 PM
"
GloatingSwine wrote:
I have a suspicion that most of the actual game-mechanical elements and open world content of CP2077 were scrapped and started again no more than 18 months ago, and quite possibly considerably more recently than that.

Because it feels like two different games that don't mesh together well. One is the actual story driven roleplaying bit which feels really polished and well designed, and the other is the game mechanics and open world content and that bit feels super rushed and half of them don't work.

And these games have nothing to do with each other. The story doesn't care how many of the various gang chods you've shot doing the open world stuff and rather a lot of the missions don't use your character sheet at all (not only no combat but also almost no ability to use stats or perks you've chosen other than occasionally Intelligence).

Meanwhile the big overarching supposed consequence of the main plot does not affect you whilst you trundle around tidying up all the dots on the map.

I don't think they ever meant to make a game. I think that they meant to make a tech demo that was capable of a) selling their Red game engine b) selling NVidia hardware

And they succeeded. *slow clap*

They ran away with the bag y'all. They got us. They got us!

The funniest part of the scam is how they used Keanu Reeves to distract us from what was really happening. Dam they got us!
Last edited by BearCares on Dec 28, 2020, 5:47:49 PM
Skyrim's side quests do fuck all to the main story. In fact the main story is so detached to everything else you might as well not play it. Don't try to pretend like this is something new or its a bad thing considering how Skyrim is one of the most successful games ever.

Lots of the missions don't involve combat? Welcome to Witcher 3, where you spend a whole lot of time chilling with various people. And once again, this did not turn out to be a problem. It is one of the most successful games ever.

So, whats the problem here exactly? Are we supposed to look at Cyberpunk in a vacuum and pretend that our expectations are the ultimate truth?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Tk29SD0uM

Just a reminder how cool Borderlands 3 boss music themes are ;)
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Borderlands...personally I am not fan of the humor. Can't explain it, I guess its too in your face for me to find it fun. Once I got fed up with the dialogue I dropped the games. Did beat the first one which was the least...unhinged. Couldn't stomach the second so I moved away from the franchise.

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Borderlands...personally I am not fan of the humor. Can't explain it, I guess its too in your face for me to find it fun. Once I got fed up with the dialogue I dropped the games. Did beat the first one which was the least...unhinged. Couldn't stomach the second so I moved away from the franchise.

BL2 has one of the most top notch Villians of any game. Handsome Jack.

Bl3 dropped a low ball to be honest in regards of narration (fekking EMO twins) but boss encounters and music are very good.

You could give it a try. BL3 is on sale 66%. Maybe worth a catch ;)
Especially in Multiplayer.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Last edited by gandhar0 on Dec 28, 2020, 7:10:18 PM
Could do. As long as the characters don't talk too much.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Could do. As long as the characters don't talk too much.

They dont talk much. Only the usual hit recognition memes like "uaaahhh" or "urgghjhh" when getting hit by big mobs or ailments ;)
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Skyrim's side quests do fuck all to the main story. In fact the main story is so detached to everything else you might as well not play it. Don't try to pretend like this is something new or its a bad thing considering how Skyrim is one of the most successful games ever.

Lots of the missions don't involve combat? Welcome to Witcher 3, where you spend a whole lot of time chilling with various people. And once again, this did not turn out to be a problem. It is one of the most successful games ever.

So, whats the problem here exactly? Are we supposed to look at Cyberpunk in a vacuum and pretend that our expectations are the ultimate truth?

Well Skyrim was a terrible game. But it was released 9 years before Cyberpunk so at least it has that for an excuse. Cyberpunk was supposed to have learned from Skyrim's errors... the way that Witcher 3 did. *face palm*

And stop trying to put Skyrim and Cyberpunk in the same conversation as Witcher 3 anyway. It's like NBA player {witcher} vs middle schoolers {you're two favorite games}.

I'll explain why people 'loved' Skyrim so much. It's because there is a deep desire to have a truly immersive fantasy open world game. And for a long time Skyrim was the best people had. And sometimes the best you have isn't necessarily GOOD. It's just the best you have. It's like having a wagon back in the western cow boy days. It's the best you have. But it's absolute shit compared to the star ship Enterprise.
Last edited by BearCares on Dec 28, 2020, 8:17:03 PM
"
BearCares wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Well Skyrim was a terrible game. But it was released 9 years before Cyberpunk so at least it has that for an excuse. Cyberpunk was supposed to have learned from Skyrim's errors... the way that Witcher 3 did. *face palm*

And stop trying to put Skyrim and Cyberpunk in the same conversation as Witcher 3 anyway. It's like NBA player {witcher} vs middle schoolers {you're two favorite games}.

I'll explain why people 'loved' Skyrim so much. It's because there is a deep desire to have a truly immersive fantasy open world game. And for a long time Skyrim was the best people had. And sometimes the best you have isn't necessarily GOOD. It's just the best you have. It's like having a wagon back in the western cow boy days. It's the best you have. But it's absolute shit compared to the star ship Enterprise.

I think the Gothic Series and partially Elex where a good example of open world experience.

Especially Gothic had really good NPC AI back in the days with day/night cyles and reactions vs Player or other NPCs.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info