I Think I Figured Out Why Cyberpunk Sux

"
BearCares wrote:
Well I'm going to put a hot take here. I think that Keanu Reeves' performance was the best in the game. If there were any deficiencies I would fault the director for not informing him better about the situations he was in.

But essentially Keanu was playing a sociopath who was on a huge ego trip that was seething with rage. Well I only played 4 hours so that's what it seemed like. I think the wooden/flat tone that he was speaking with was perfectly appropriate for a man on the verge of losing his mind.

Then again I only played 4 hours so I'm just interpreting the character from that one flash back battle.

I just think it's odd how the same people defending the game are also bashing the best thing about the game which was Keanu's performance.

Yep, the Keanu appearances were mostly great, and I agree about the lack of direction for the times they weren't. I'd also attribute that to the [male] protagonist as well; there were too many times where the spoken lines didn't fit the conversation, scene, etc.

Regarding bugs, glitches, etc. in the PC version, no one PC is the same. I could probably have the same build setup as Kolyaboo's wife and have a very different experience. Heck, even for a particular build, one playthrough may be flawless while the next gets a handful of weirdness throughout (due to gameplay conditions aligning just right, hardware hiccups, bad driver update, etc.). That said, I use a 10th-gen i7 laptop with a 2070 in it, and the game ran like a dream. Glitches were minor - one case of a T-pose when I randomly decided to set a crowd of 30 people on fire with a Fenrir, mouths not moving when talking, etc. - and I crashed to desktop once in 40 hours.

(And yes, past tense used throughout. I got to the second flashback and got bored with the story. Reminded me too much of the Ciri sequences from Witcher 3 that just rip me right out of the mood to play it, and so I uninstalled. I might pick it up again later and do a fresh playthrough with a different build and with the female PC to see if that's any less annoying)
Last edited by 3DNeophyte on Dec 31, 2020, 2:39:00 PM
Did you notice how in this game they decided to randomly leave out pronouns during dialogue.

So for example they would say, "Don't know. Gotta be there somewhere"

Instead of "I don't know. It's gotta be there somewhere"

Playing this game for the brief period that I did has allowed me to realize just how powerful pronouns really are because randomly leaving them out tends to neuter the emotional heft of many of the situations that contain these lines.

And yes I noticed that Geralt dropped pronouns in Witcher. But it works for HIM in a way that it doesn't work for Cyberpunk characters IMO.
Last edited by BearCares on Dec 31, 2020, 8:04:22 PM
"
BearCares wrote:
Did you notice how in this game they decided to randomly leave out pronouns during dialogue.

So for example they would say, "Don't know. Gotta be there somewhere"

Instead of "I don't know. It's gotta be there somewhere"

Playing this game for the brief period that I did has allowed me to realize just how powerful pronouns really are because randomly leaving them out tends to neuter the emotional heft of many of the situations that contain these lines.

And yes I noticed that Geralt dropped pronouns in Witcher. But it works for HIM in a way that it doesn't work for Cyberpunk characters IMO.

I've run into this phenomenon recently.

The "movement" to neuter (ungender) personal pronouns is real. It's A Thing ™.

It's had some spillover into the realm of the use of all personal pronouns. It's not yet an epidemic, but it does exist for some nonsensical reason. It's also made more pronounced ... pronounced in at least the reader's mind, for the reading of internet blurbs within Twit character-limits. The concept of the "editorial you" and its intent is evidently facing extinction.

But, there's also a grungy-voiced style of writing that edgelords looking to borrow expertise tend to use - "Imma just use Word to highlight all pronouns in quotes and delete them so my characters turn out way more cooler!"

It's sad.

The result is exactly as you express - Characters lose intimacy. Their feelings are no longer directed, their thoughts are impersonal, context for emotion and simple "feeling" is lost.

"Gotta escape." (Edgelord Writer gives up an extra ten cents in pay to write something that is a dollar less in value.)

"I've got to escape." (Writer gets an extra ten cents, writes more betterer, gets hailed as "well written.")

PS: If there's an occurrence of First-Person, Present-Tense, in Cyberpunk, I would not be surprised. That's... a plague, yet publishers gush over such drivel and it's automatically put up for awards. Because, it's "edgy." :/
Last edited by Morkonan on Jan 1, 2021, 11:59:54 AM
welp, got the so-called "second best ending"

Spoiler
johnny is gone for good
arasaka is on its knees
the only difference between this and the "best" ending is that here V is completely suicidal while the other one is a bit more hopeful
whatever, every bastard is dead or fucked, the granny went out in a blaze of glory, every important character ends up happy (except for jefferson, the stupid asshole) and I guess thats that

Smasher is a joke as a last boss by the way, I actually left him live because he is too much of a failure to die by my hand

Overall I'd say I expected better endings. Which means I was completely justified in doing everything else first.

Last edited by Johny_Snow on Jan 1, 2021, 2:37:48 PM
And as promised - my save is 5.5 MB. I am not sure whether the 1.06 patch has anything to do with it. I've played for 60 hours, have a bunch of items in my stash, did every quest available, the game crashed only once.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
And as promised - my save is 5.5 MB. I am not sure whether the 1.06 patch has anything to do with it. I've played for 60 hours, have a bunch of items in my stash, did every quest available, the game crashed only once.

Great info!

So, it's safe to say that you consider your playthrough to be fairly full-featured, allowing you to experience the game as freely as you wished, including a good bit of crafting and the like, without running against the previously applied "8 meg lock" for your saved game?

Good to know.
I only crafted ammo and some iconic items. Crafting as a whole is pointless. Stores throughout the city update the items they have to stronger versions when you level so spending resources on upgrading is redundant. Meanwhile there are a whole bunch of readily available iconic items (mostly pistols for some reason) so creating new ones, especially green/blue is completely worthless.

5% more damage on crafted weapons is a good joke though.
When i think of open world i think of non-liniar progression. Basically that you can go back and forward in the world and that you aren't locked down some pipeline.

Ranging from fully open world games where.. yea like skyrim'ish to games where open world are only in some aspects i guess they would be open world to, somewhat.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
How is Skyrim a fully open world game when some parts of it are closed behind linear progression?
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
How is Skyrim a fully open world game when some parts of it are closed behind linear progression?

Maybe not fully then, i wasn't one of those big time skyrimmers. I just think back on it as a big open world to run around in as i please.

It's still on the upper end of the spectrum however, even if not 100% complete fully. But have you seen a game that is?
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jan 3, 2021, 10:26:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info