New SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 Thread

Not sure how that's funny.

Locking things down is the last thing a country wants, and acting tough is better than inducing widespread panic.

Also, how's Sweden doing there?
(⌐■_■)
By acting tough I mean not introducing restrictions soon enough.

Sweden, Norway and The Netherlands are the only countries in Europe without strict restrictions I believe. Norway and Sweden are doing fine, probably because they are not that densely populated. The Netherlands is a different story. If statistics are to be believed, they have more coronavirus-related deaths than Germany and very few recoveries. Hopefully this wont bite them in the ass too hard.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Mar 29, 2020, 5:58:30 AM
by the way

"
acting tough is better than inducing widespread panic.

This is a poor way to word it. Country leaders, in Europe at least, keep talking how hard its going to be, how it wont end soon and how they are not even at the peak yet. This is not designed to cause panic but to prevent dumbasses from walking around unchecked and spreading it.

I say cause as much fear as possible to keep people locked up in their homes, otherwise the restrictions mean nothing.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

This is a poor way to word it. Country leaders, in Europe at least, keep talking how hard its going to be, how it wont end soon and how they are not even at the peak yet.

It was a fairly accurate way to word it.

Everything you said are words that cause concern and fear from people hearing it.

If governments really wanted to be neutral about it.

All you needed to do is tell people they'd get fined a few thousand dollars or arrested if they ignore health officials because its a health crisis.

That's a neutral-informative stance that some governments should have done if they wanted to get their point across without fear-mongering folks.

Keep it simple. Straight to the point. Not speculate on things nobody is even sure about yet.

People who care will stay inside. Those that don't will get arrested.

And seeing how France is still dealing with people ignoring quarantine orders. We can say whatever they said about the virus getting worse was ineffective regardless.

So it's not even dumb-ass proof. It's just scaring people who are already staying inside.

"

I say cause as much fear as possible to keep people locked up in their homes, otherwise the restrictions mean nothing.

Fear is not a good control measure. It causes people to break quarantine, steal things, and do stupid things like drinking chemicals and kill themselves.

It might make people feel safe, but rarely does it actually make things better.
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by RPGlitch on Mar 29, 2020, 7:25:21 AM
This is a very naive point of view. You think the police and later on the army have enough personnel to monitor everybody? They obviously don't, we need to monitor ourselves, and if people feel safe and secure they will not only leave their homes more often, they'll also lie about their destinations and cause even more trouble.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
This is a very naive point of view.

There isn't anything naive about people doing stupid things out of fear. We have the news to thank for that.

"

You think the police and later on the army have enough personnel to monitor everybody? They obviously don't, we need to monitor ourselves, and if people feel safe and secure they will not only leave their homes more often, they'll also lie about their destinations and cause even more trouble.

The police don't monitor every highway yet we put speed limits on the roads.

What makes you think that fear is the ONLY tool used to make people listen to the law?

People will monitor themselves without having to get scared shitless to do it.
(⌐■_■)
I never said its the only tool, don't put words in my mouth. Its all about spreading our resources in the best possible way. Those people assigned to go out and hunt residents who break quarantine could be doing something else. Like building more makeshift hospitals for example. It is a waste to believe that the people can monitor themselves - they've proven they cant. They'll go to the beaches, to the pub, to weddings, they'll gather together without stricter penalties and being told straight up that they are in deep shit.

Snip
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by RPGlitch on Mar 29, 2020, 8:20:17 AM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
I never said its the only tool, don't put words in my mouth.

That's the only thing you've said. If you had another point. You should bring it up. Hence, my question mark.

"
Its all about spreading our resources in the best possible way.

Scaring people is not using our resources in the best way possible.

Not only do governments have to deal with people breaking quarantine. Hospitals have to deal with people buying out medical supplies (fear), buying food (fear), self-medicating and hurting themselves (fear).

So, not only is resources being strained to combat the virus. We have to spend extra resources trying to accommodate all the wild behaviors people do when they are afraid.

Which is according to you. Apparently, fine as long as they stay locked up in their house.

I don't see it being useful seeing as fear does a ton of bad things to people.

"
It is a waste to believe that the people can monitor themselves - they've proven they cant.

Most people are monitoring themselves.

Its just unfortunate that some people have a distorted idea that most people are only doing so because they are scared and feel the need to impose even more draconian measures to save themselves(fear).

"
They'll go to the beaches, to the pub, to weddings, they'll gather together without stricter penalties and being told straight up that they are in deep shit.

Hasn't it occurred to you that they are doing it despite being told its bad. That no matter how many times you tell them its bad, it doesn't matter unless its enforced?

So, what's your solution? Keep trying to scare people on the television so they'll stay indoors (obviously not working cause people are ignoring it)

Or actually send in the police to arrest people (which was I was saying that you apparently thought was naive)

"

You think the police and later on the army have enough personnel to monitor everybody?

Think straight here. You want stricter penalties? So lets have police arrest people like I said? lmao. Why keep repeating stupid things that scare people on the TV.

Just skip straight to the consequences.

More 'scary words' isn't going to make them quit. Put laws and enforce them.

No need to sugar coat and waterboard the rest of us with nonsense.
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by RPGlitch on Mar 29, 2020, 8:27:54 AM
"
That's the only thing you've said. If you had another point. You should bring it up. Hence, my question mark.

Then don't make assumptions? I am talking about a single point, I don't need to disclose my entire perspective. I am saying it is good to make people fear the thing, you are saying it is not. Thats whats important.

"
Scaring people is not using our resources in the best way possible.

Not only do governments have to deal with people breaking quarantine. Hospitals have to deal with people buying out medical supplies (fear), buying food (fear), self-medicating and hurting themselves (fear).

So, not only is resources being strained to combat the virus. We have to spend extra resources trying to make accommodate all the wild behaviors people do when they are afraid.

Which is according to you. Apparently, fine as long as they stay locked up in their house.

I don't see it being useful seeing as fear does a ton of bad things to people.

You need to understand that most of what you say is happeningis because the countries are too lenient. False information for example. If countries are fast to curb it - panic buying crap wont happen.

Also, according to me people will be LESS INCLINED TO GO OUTSIDE, so there will be less of what you are describing.

"
Most people are monitoring themselves.

Its just unfortunate that some people have a distorted idea that most people are only doing so because they are scared and feel the need to impose even more draconian measures to save themselves(fear).

No, they are not. They are absolutely not. Trust me, I read about it every day. Measures are constantly being tightened. Why is that? Because people cant follow the instructions. You cant tell them to distance themselves, you cant beg them to do it, you either tell them to stop or they will kill their family members or impose heavy sanctions. It is best to mix it up instead of going too far in either direction.

"
Hasn't it occurred to you that they are doing it despite being told its bad. That no matter how many times you tell them its bad, it doesn't matter unless its enforced?

So, what's your solution? Keep trying to scare people on the television so they'll stay indoors (obviously not working cause people are ignoring it)

Or actually send in the police to arrest people (which was I was saying that you apparently thought was naive)

So you agree with me that people are sheep who don't understand what is good for them? So, what makes your opinion special then? You say they will keep breaking curfew and be idiots no matter what. So whats stopping them from doing these things here
"

Also please stop using this strawman. I never said we must only use fear and not use the police, what the actual fuck

"
Think straight here. You want stricter penalties? So lets have police arrest people like I said? lmao. Why keep repeating stupid things that scare people on the TV.

Just skip straight to the consequences.

More 'scary words' is going to make them quit. Put laws and enforce them.

No need to sugar coat and waterboard the rest of us with nonsense.

What you are explaining is exactly scaring them, lmao. You are not using the virus, you are using the consequences of them not obeying. You are actually saying the same thing - scare them but by using different means.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Mar 29, 2020, 8:35:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info