Corona virus

I'm a sappy fuck so I will always prefer the emotional approach of Deep Impact over the patently ridiculous Armageddon.

This does raise an interesting point though. Disaster movies come in waves and they're typically influenced by some sort of subcutaneous angst. Right before the millennium, it was the meteor threat. And right after, we got into global warming/climate change (Day After Tomorrow, 2012, etc). There was a tiny Volcano spike in there with Dante's Peak.

But plagues are always a threat independent of the era, so we had (among others) King's The Stand in the late 70s (miniseries mid 90s), Robin Cook's Outbreak in the 80s (movie in the mid 90s), Contagion decades later. These were all made during times when plague was a thing but it was largely 'distant', affecting particular groups. The Stand is probably most pertinent there, given it was written before the GRID/AIDs epidemic but soon became an interesting parallel thereof in the readers' collective awareness. Part of the populace coming to understand AIDS was figuring out how it was spread and that it wasn't purely 'gay people and drug addicts'. That it could affect anyone under the right (wrong) conditions. A super-flu such as Captain Trips/Project Blue in The Stand shares with readers otherwise safe from a plague what it might be like to have it all around you, and you are not safe.

Grim stuff! And possibly for some of us, a bit too close to reality for now.

So I don't think we're going to see many movies about Covid-19 in a hurry. It's gone beyond fad and entered the realm of daily life. I hope it doesn't stay that way but most indications are it will for a long while yet. Given enough time, though, we'll figure out a way to romanticise the whole shebang, and that'll be the only way anyone remembers it.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 20, 2020, 1:15:17 AM
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
I think the best video on the issue I saw was a girl....a guy....a person in a dinosaur suit throwing the garbage.
"
BTW apologies for the 'miserable pessimist' thing. That was unfair. I'd been dealing with downplaying and naysaying from other quarters, from some surprising people who I thought understood how desperately I need to believe in a vaccine.

No issues. And I'm sorry if I seemed to be downplaying your concerns.
On a lighter note, it seems even the game knows of the times we live in -

So any important people died yet? I know a whole bunch were diagnosed, never heard of any deaths though.
Hate to say it but I don't think things are looking good for Tom Hanks down here.

Also, are people really that ignorant to the etymology of the word 'corona'? That's sad. It's right in front of their eyes...

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 20, 2020, 3:02:50 AM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
So any important people died yet? I know a whole bunch were diagnosed, never heard of any deaths though.

Just heard that John Travolta was diagnosed with Covid-19

oh no, sorry correction. He only has Saturday Night Fever.
"
Exile009 wrote:
I'm glad it's this film that's gaining in popularity now and not the usual kind of Hollywood trash - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contagion_%282011_film%29#Renewed_popularity

I'd definitely prefer seeing more Contagion memes (are those even a thing? Anyone got any to share here?) than the endless Thanos references (he was dumb, period!).

My favorite ones are like "contagion isnt a great movie, but worth it to see that goop chick die"

Spoiler
Gwyneth Paltrow for the record

Lmao

Edit:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 20, 2020, 10:41:40 AM
I really hope you didn't spend too long coming up with that amazing display of wit. Either of you.

__

So, two facts. There are quite a few factors which make a person very vulnerable to Covid-19: immunity suppression, asthma, heart problems, lung problems, high blood pressure, just to name a few. That's one fact. The other: Australia is keeping schools open despite 70 countries doing otherwise, citing all sorts of stupid reasons that mostly boil down to, 'kids don't seem to be very affected, they'd just roam the streets anyway, also healthcare workers might have kids, oh, and Singapore left their schools open and they did just fine (nevermind all the other measures Singapore took that we didn't)'.

Take these two facts and combine them: what about the parents who are currently forced to send their kids to school but are also very vulnerable to Covid-19? How long is it until their darling little disease vectors stealthily bring it home, infect a very high risk Mum or Dad or Grandpa or Grandma? How exactly is this not a major consideration?

So there's a nightmare scenario for you. And it's obviously something all those other countries have considered, so why the fuck haven't we?
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 20, 2020, 10:42:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info