Corona virus

Stop commenting just to say something when all you're doing is adding what amounts to 'we don't know the effects on the body, people shouldn't jump on this' when the entire point of the testing is to learn the effects on the body.

And yes, the distribution of a vaccine is LONG off. Does that make this any less interesting or discussion-worthy? If so, feel free not to discuss it.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Religiously following vaccine trials helps no one, and simply puts more pressure on the people conducting them to expedite, expedite, expedite! A vaccine isn't coming soon (nor should it, as that would be foolhardy), we know that. So obsessing over it likely does more harm than good.

The fight against the disease is about the measures being taken here and now, not a vaccine that won't be available for a longass time. It's understandable that those already sick with the disease would obsess over them (even though a vaccine by definition can't help them then), but the rest of us aren't doing any good piling on the attention further.

Some things are best left not under a media / public spotlight.
Last edited by Exile009 on Mar 19, 2020, 10:50:46 PM
Who is 'religiously following them'? This is my first post about it, and it will certainly be the only big one. Also, why this need for a dichotomy, an either/or? We can track the progress of vaccine trials *AND* take measures here and now.

My god, you lot are miserable pessimists. And you're not even the ones at high risk here.

__

Indeed, not much else to report today. Which is both nice and depressing. The numbers rise as predicted. Banks are trying to scramble against collapse. Just another day in the time of coronavirus.

Oh, Dr John just mentioned this, so i did a little digging:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahturner/2020/03/19/the-hotelier-and-soccer-star-lending-his-hotels-for-free-to-hospitals-during-the-covid-19-outbreak/#64c39d4394e6

What a legend. Devoting entire hotels, free of charge, for health care workers so they don't take the virus home, so they have somewhere to recharge between what are no doubt very stressful shifts.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 19, 2020, 11:03:27 PM
"
Also, why this need for a dichotomy, an either/or? We can track the progress of vaccine trials *AND* take measures here and now.

My point wasn't that measures aren't being taken - you even kinda have little choice if you live in a country that's declared an emergency. It's that directing your attentions there is more immediately useful. I never claimed the two were mutually exclusive. If I thought closely tracking the vaccine was harmless, it wouldn't even be an issue. But I don't. I view as increasing pressure in an already high pressure environment and thereby contributing to further encourage shortcuts. That's why I'd rather the public focus on what they actually understand and can do, and let the experts get on with their thing with minimal interference (save oversight by others who actually know what's what).

"
My god, you lot are miserable pessimists. And you're not even the ones at high risk here.

Excuse me, do you know me? Or the people I care about, for that matter? Just cos you're expressing a strong emotional reaction here doesn't invalidate those of us who choose to remain calmer. And how does my response betray a pessimistic persona pray?
"
Stop commenting just to say something when all you're doing is adding what amounts to 'we don't know the effects on the body, people shouldn't jump on this' when the entire point of the testing is to learn the effects on the body.

And yes, the distribution of a vaccine is LONG off. Does that make this any less interesting or discussion-worthy? If so, feel free not to discuss it.

I might if you didn't post a "look somebody getting injected in a random trial with some obscure test-drug that has a low possibility of suceeding and even if it does, helps nobody now and is two years of from being publicly available, my hero".

I just posted something equally trivial from where i am sitting.

I understand the grasping at straws due to fear and anxiety but lets not pretend you posted something worthy of discussion or relevant to current day covid issues.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
As far as i know, earliest projections of a vacine are a year and eighth months out.

Nah, I've watched Stargate. If you really need a vaccine, you can develop it in one episode.
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
As far as i know, earliest projections of a vacine are a year and eighth months out.

Nah, I've watched Stargate. If you really need a vaccine, you can develop it in one episode.

:-D

Cheers sir, thanks for the laugh.

Spoiler
To bad thats not how reality works but ok. Rushing a vaccine which will be utilized on millions of people isn't going to happen.

The only people that might get some rushed version of it will be the people on a terminal ward under the "compassionate use" policy.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I'm glad it's this film that's gaining in popularity now and not the usual kind of Hollywood trash - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contagion_%282011_film%29#Renewed_popularity

I'd definitely prefer seeing more Contagion memes (are those even a thing? Anyone got any to share here?) than the endless Thanos references (he was dumb, period!).
I watched that one on a plane once. Tiny screen, shitty quality, could barely hear it, but I really did enjoy it. That said, it's still ultimately fiction and made for entertainment value. Dramatised and represented by familiar, beautiful people.

I'd also be a bit concerned that people see the movie (which as I recall focuses on a hunt for patient zero, and ends with a shot of Paltrow's character eating some contaminated food as a sort of 'back to zero' montage) and draw similar conclusions about Covid-19. But eh, just a movie.

Oh, and on a slightly personal note, Paltrow's an infamous peddler of...shall we call them 'unusual' health solutions with very little grounding in science. So there's a sort of irony seeing her in a movie that eschews her beliefs and does try to ground itself in a harder scientific approach.

Oh, and I saw another Damon flick, 'We Bought A Zoo', around the same time, and the two movies kind of blur together. Which is funny, given the intersection of the two might not be far from something like 'Planet of the Apes'...

BTW apologies for the 'miserable pessimist' thing. That was unfair. I'd been dealing with downplaying and naysaying from other quarters, from some surprising people who I thought understood how desperately I need to believe in a vaccine. Without one, I'm stuck at home. Period. Meanwhile it's a really nice day out there. I can hear people walking around. The trains zip by. It is very easy for me to forget that things aren't fine, not for me.

re Thanos snap references: I put them on the same scornful shelf as I put Matrix references now. Superficial depth from a privileged stance. Every single person talking about the 'snap' in some positive light is assuming they're not part of the 50% disappeared. Stupid. Really stupid. I care not to discuss it further.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 20, 2020, 12:09:16 AM
Man, who wants to watch a movie about a contagion, go watch a meteor or something.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info