Incinerate

"
bassdoken wrote:
"
BRavich wrote:
I'm interested in the potential for incinerate being used for non caster builds with spell totem just for shock stacks.

What if you were to keep incinerate at level 1 to make the mana cost manageable, then slap on added lightning damage, lightning penetration, and elemental proliferation, and then use it in conjunction with critical weakness?

I was thinking that spell totem would be more practical, but that's another gem link, and it also reduces the cast speed, making it take even longer to reach stage 4.

Thoughts?

That setup would require a 5L, and 102391293% increased crit chance with a base of 0% is still 0%, so critical weakness doesn't really help.

Incinerate, Spell Totem, Added Lightning, Elemental Proliferation should get the job done. You'd want to have Static Blows incorporated into your build already for it to be worth it, and you'd also want to pair that with Conductivity.

I'm not sure if that could deal enough damage to shock most mobs. Time for some math.

Same assumptions as last time: level 20 added lightning, 100% spell damage, static blows.

3-38 lightning before spell totem's reduction, which brings it down to 1-19 at step 1, and 5-110 at step 4. You'd be able to shock mobs with 500-11000 original hp, but the chances of getting your totem to step 4 without it dying may be difficult.

Yeah, wouldn't be good for shocking. You really need like 40-70 stage 1 lightning to shock stuff merciless +.

Many people use spell totem + arc + chain to do the described effect you want. Especially since arc already has increased chance to shock.
"
trenan wrote:
"
bassdoken wrote:
A level 20 added lightning adds 5-101 damage, yes?

With incinerate, the damage effectiveness brings it down to 1-20. Let's assume you have around 100% increased spell damage as your only damage increase. That brings it to 2-40. Now let's also assume that you're using this with a level 20 LMP. That brings it up to 2-55 before the 30% less damage, which makes your final damage 1-16 at step 1, which is 5-93 at step 4.

That means that you'll be able to shock things that have 500-9300 original hp (mobs in parties have the same stun/shock/frozen/chilled thresholds as solo), assuming you have static blows, and they have 0% lightning resistance. That means you won't be shocking bosses in maps.

I'm not sure what Incinerate's damage is like at level 20, so I can't give maximum damage potential with Incinerate + LMP + Added Lightning.

Which is why LMP sucks on Incinerate. Reducing top end damage on a fast casting spell, is terribly innefficient.

Also your numbers are drastically off, it would be much more than 1-16. Even with LMP I have significantly more than that, and its with level 14 gem.

lmp sucks on incinerate, please, tell me more.

also, can somebody explain to me the obsession of shocking white mobs?
ign = ultrahiangle
Last edited by ultrahiangle on Mar 15, 2013, 11:17:09 PM
"
ultrahiangle wrote:
"
trenan wrote:
"
bassdoken wrote:
A level 20 added lightning adds 5-101 damage, yes?

With incinerate, the damage effectiveness brings it down to 1-20. Let's assume you have around 100% increased spell damage as your only damage increase. That brings it to 2-40. Now let's also assume that you're using this with a level 20 LMP. That brings it up to 2-55 before the 30% less damage, which makes your final damage 1-16 at step 1, which is 5-93 at step 4.

That means that you'll be able to shock things that have 500-9300 original hp (mobs in parties have the same stun/shock/frozen/chilled thresholds as solo), assuming you have static blows, and they have 0% lightning resistance. That means you won't be shocking bosses in maps.

I'm not sure what Incinerate's damage is like at level 20, so I can't give maximum damage potential with Incinerate + LMP + Added Lightning.

Which is why LMP sucks on Incinerate. Reducing top end damage on a fast casting spell, is terribly innefficient.

Also your numbers are drastically off, it would be much more than 1-16. Even with LMP I have significantly more than that, and its with level 14 gem.

lmp sucks on incinerate, please, tell me more.

It creates massive multipliers for every damage ability, and even more insanely with Incinerate because it multiplies the damage of the final stage, rather than the first stage.

Using Incinerate as my main ability on my level 78 Marauder has caused me to find 2 problems with Incinerate:
1. The skill causes massive amounts of desync. I don't know whether or not this is because of the extremely fast casting, or just because it's a new skill and is not optimized, but it needs to be fixed before it can be used on a larger scale like 72+ maps with tough mods.

2. The graphic is WAY too clunky. While casting incinerate into packs of mobs, I cannot see a single thing which can be extremely dangerous for anybody in the hardcore league. The graphic of Incinerate should be more transparent, and less bulky.

Other than those 2 problems, the skill is amazing and a great change of pace from EK, Freezing Pulse, and Lightning Arrow!
IGN: Hochep
"
Hochep wrote:
"
ultrahiangle wrote:

It creates massive multipliers for every damage ability, and even more insanely with Incinerate because it multiplies the damage of the final stage, rather than the first stage.

read his post more carefully. he's not asking why people like to shock enemies so much, but why they want to shock trash white mobs that die instantly anyway. Unless you go full glass cannon or just have really good gear that increases your spell and lightning damage by a lot, you're not going to be shocking mobs that are actually threatening, making the link wasted.
HowCouldThisHappenToMee (Hardcore Talisman)
"
bassdoken wrote:
"
BRavich wrote:
I'm interested in the potential for incinerate being used for non caster builds with spell totem just for shock stacks.

What if you were to keep incinerate at level 1 to make the mana cost manageable, then slap on added lightning damage, lightning penetration, and elemental proliferation, and then use it in conjunction with critical weakness?

I was thinking that spell totem would be more practical, but that's another gem link, and it also reduces the cast speed, making it take even longer to reach stage 4.

Thoughts?

That setup would require a 5L, and 102391293% increased crit chance with a base of 0% is still 0%, so critical weakness doesn't really help.

Incinerate, Spell Totem, Added Lightning, Elemental Proliferation should get the job done. You'd want to have Static Blows incorporated into your build already for it to be worth it, and you'd also want to pair that with Conductivity.

I'm not sure if that could deal enough damage to shock most mobs. Time for some math.

Same assumptions as last time: level 20 added lightning, 100% spell damage, static blows.

3-38 lightning before spell totem's reduction, which brings it down to 1-19 at step 1, and 5-110 at step 4. You'd be able to shock mobs with 500-11000 original hp, but the chances of getting your totem to step 4 without it dying may be difficult.

Critical weakness gives a flat 5-9% additional crit chance, it doesn't multiply with the base.

I just tested a level 1 incinerate with a level 1 critical weakness on the mobs and I was getting crits.
"
RedShades wrote:
Critical weakness gives a flat 5-9% additional crit chance, it doesn't multiply with the base.

I just tested a level 1 incinerate with a level 1 critical weakness on the mobs and I was getting crits.

Oh really? I'll have to test that myself.

e. Indeed you can, although I'm not sure if that's intended.
HowCouldThisHappenToMee (Hardcore Talisman)
Last edited by bassdoken on Mar 16, 2013, 6:06:07 PM
Anyone know/test if incinerate works with the AOE talents such as Blast Radius and Amplify?
"
Marnus wrote:
Anyone know/test if incinerate works with the AOE talents such as Blast Radius and Amplify?
this is not AoE, it is a projectile that pierces just like freezing pulse. the gem would say if it is AoE.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Mar 16, 2013, 8:18:52 PM
"
bassdoken wrote:
"
Hochep wrote:
"
ultrahiangle wrote:

read his post more carefully. he's not asking why people like to shock enemies so much, but why they want to shock trash white mobs that die instantly anyway. Unless you go full glass cannon or just have really good gear that increases your spell and lightning damage by a lot, you're not going to be shocking mobs that are actually threatening, making the link wasted.

Because 120% extra damage is fun.

You can also shock blues and yellows.

Bosses, are 1-2% of the mobs you kill, so who cares if you cant shock them?

Even without shock damage, added lightning is 1 of the 2 highest DPS increase supports for Incinerate.

Incinerate will never instantly kill anything, because unlike all the other spells in the game, its max damage is not front loaded, it takes time to kill stuff regardless.

Could somebody explain to me the obsession of being a complete jerk off ALL THE TIME while on the forums, especially when it comes to mechanics you haven't even tried.

Believe it or not, some people prefer to play the game without cupping the genitals of "streamers" who think they are hardcore, or have any more accurate information than the rest of the general public.

Stick to your cookie cutter guides girls, I hear its the most exciting way to play the game.
Last edited by trenan on Mar 16, 2013, 10:05:34 PM
Lightning doesn't automatically shock on non-crit damage. I don't know what's leading people to believe that supporting a spell with Added Lightning will enable shock-stacking by itself.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info