Incinerate

A level 20 added lightning adds 5-101 damage, yes?

With incinerate, the damage effectiveness brings it down to 1-20. Let's assume you have around 100% increased spell damage as your only damage increase. That brings it to 2-40. Now let's also assume that you're using this with a level 20 LMP. That brings it up to 2-55 before the 30% less damage, which makes your final damage 3-38* at step 1, which is 17-221* at step 4.

That means that you'll be able to shock things that have 1700-22100* original hp (mobs in parties have the same stun/shock/frozen/chilled thresholds as solo), assuming you have static blows, and they have 0% lightning resistance. That means you won't be shocking that many bosses, but normal mobs will be shocked.

I'm not sure what Incinerate's damage is at level 20, so I can't give maximum damage potential with Incinerate + LMP + Added Lightning.

*edited the correct numbers in
HowCouldThisHappenToMee (Hardcore Talisman)
Last edited by bassdoken on Mar 15, 2013, 8:34:28 PM
^
Well... 5-93 lightning damage at stage 4 sounds closer to
the reality for me and would explain a lot of things.
IGN.: Space_Walrus, Wraeclast_Hobo, Draftbeer, Burnoloid
"
bassdoken wrote:

With incinerate, the damage effectiveness brings it down to 1-20. Let's assume you have around 100% increased spell damage as your only damage increase. That brings it to 2-40. Now let's also assume that you're using this with a level 20 LMP. That brings it up to 2-55 before the 30% less damage, which makes your final damage 1-16 at step 1, which is 5-93 at step 4.

That means that you'll be able to shock things that have 500-9300 original hp (mobs in parties have the same stun/shock/frozen/chilled thresholds as solo), assuming you have static blows, and they have 0% lightning resistance. That means you won't be shocking bosses in maps.

I'm not sure what Incinerate's damage is like at level 20, so I can't give maximum damage potential with Incinerate + LMP + Added Lightning.

Which is why LMP sucks on Incinerate. Reducing top end damage on a fast casting spell, is terribly innefficient.

Also your numbers are drastically off, it would be much more than 1-16. Even with LMP I have significantly more than that, and its with level 14 gem.
Last edited by trenan on Mar 15, 2013, 6:58:37 PM
"
"
trenan wrote:
"

All theorycraft and no screenshot of your OFFENSE tab in your character info page or even your passive tree at least. *yawn*

and LMP is NOT .9 gj

I wrote a guide in the Witch forums explaining everything, why should I have to cater to you?

LMP gets most of its damage back when its fully leveled, you clearly know very little.

You have a fully leveled LMP at Lvl 56? :D
Stop the smartass act when you clearly can't get your own facts right, and please don't start anymore BS like you factored in max level LMP in your calculation since you've already used a mid-level added lightning damage in the same calculation.

and because you need it spelled out to you, the highest level of LMP you could have at your level could only give you 0.7*1.26 = 0.882 = 88.2% damage per projectile.

Again no screenshot and only BS. There must be a reason why you can't provide a screenshot unless pressing the screenshot button and uploading it proves to be too difficult for someone of your caliber, which isn't surprising.

You have a guide? You mean that guide that uses 80 points without a single point in ES with a *ahem* INCINERATE build? The one where most of the replies don't agree with you? Great guide. I'm glad you don't cater to me with your foolishness.

Again, get off your high horse and stop acting like a smartass when you can't even get your own facts right shitty scrub. You still have yet to prove anything so I'm done here, trash.

I could've maybe showed you where your calculations are horribly wrong or even helped you make Incinerate even more efficient yet you keep showing your stupidity with your superior complex, unfortunately.

You didnt read the guide, which clearly says put points into HP or ES, which ever you prefer. Yet you make stupid accusations from misinterpreted information.

I've also stated several times that I don't use LMP.

I've also stated ive tested LMP with incinerate which was near max level. It is possible to have more than 1 character in this game.

This is without added cold damage which would push it close to 2k DPS stage 1 tooltip. I do not have the current links or stats to support it, infact I am missing spell damage, due to having to wear a dex neck piece for you amusement.

I did not wish to provide screenshots since my character's build is 1/2 complete and I am not even using high level gems.

With shock damage considered in, this is doing atleast 10k DPS at stage 4. Even more with Elemental Weakness
Last edited by trenan on Mar 15, 2013, 7:22:42 PM
"
Draftbeer wrote:
^
Well... 5-93 lightning damage at stage 4 sounds closer to
the reality for me and would explain a lot of things.

Another Incinerate build was already able to get 5-121 stage 1 lightning damage to his tooltip.

Not sure why you refuse to believe in actual achievable numbers. And i do believe he was using LMP.
"
trenan wrote:
"
bassdoken wrote:

With incinerate, the damage effectiveness brings it down to 1-20. Let's assume you have around 100% increased spell damage as your only damage increase. That brings it to 2-40. Now let's also assume that you're using this with a level 20 LMP. That brings it up to 2-55 before the 30% less damage, which makes your final damage 1-16 at step 1, which is 5-93 at step 4.

That means that you'll be able to shock things that have 500-9300 original hp (mobs in parties have the same stun/shock/frozen/chilled thresholds as solo), assuming you have static blows, and they have 0% lightning resistance. That means you won't be shocking bosses in maps.

I'm not sure what Incinerate's damage is like at level 20, so I can't give maximum damage potential with Incinerate + LMP + Added Lightning.

Which is why LMP sucks on Incinerate. Reducing top end damage on a fast casting spell, is terribly innefficient.

Also your numbers are drastically off, it would be much more than 1-16. Even with LMP I have significantly more than that, and its with level 14 gem.

You are right, sir. I'll edit that post.
I'm interested in the potential for incinerate being used for non caster builds with spell totem just for shock stacks.

What if you were to keep incinerate at level 1 to make the mana cost manageable, then slap on added lightning damage, lightning penetration, and elemental proliferation, and then use it in conjunction with critical weakness?

I was thinking that spell totem would be more practical, but that's another gem link, and it also reduces the cast speed, making it take even longer to reach stage 4.

Thoughts?
IGN: Iolar
On the LMP thing, you never get "most" of your damage back unless you have no spell power of any sort.

Sure if you just check LMP at lvl 20, you do 138% of your dmg then you remove 30% so you actually do 96.6%, amazing it's almost the same damage.

But if you have +100%spell power(or elemental/relevant element dmg) which is a fairly conservative value I'd say, instead of 200% of your damage you do 166.6%. See how it's a lot worse all of a sudden? The more spell% you have, the bigger the difference is going to be, that's the concept of multiplicative reduction.

Now obviously if you shotgun, that's still a lot more damage than you would do without and that's where LMP gets its strength, but in terms of status ailment the damage per hit is noticeably lower if you have high damage.

Do note that this doesn't mean in any way it's impossible to shock stuff and what not, I'm just pointing out that saying LMP gets most of its dmg back is a misunderstanding of basic mechanics, it never does unless you have no other source of damage, which is very very unlikely unless you're doing a non caster build and using incinerate for blind procs for example.
Last edited by PyrosEien on Mar 15, 2013, 8:56:56 PM
"
BRavich wrote:
I'm interested in the potential for incinerate being used for non caster builds with spell totem just for shock stacks.

What if you were to keep incinerate at level 1 to make the mana cost manageable, then slap on added lightning damage, lightning penetration, and elemental proliferation, and then use it in conjunction with critical weakness?

I was thinking that spell totem would be more practical, but that's another gem link, and it also reduces the cast speed, making it take even longer to reach stage 4.

Thoughts?

That setup would require a 5L, and 102391293% increased crit chance with a base of 0% is still 0%, so critical weakness doesn't really help.

Incinerate, Spell Totem, Added Lightning, Elemental Proliferation should get the job done. You'd want to have Static Blows incorporated into your build already for it to be worth it, and you'd also want to pair that with Conductivity.

I'm not sure if that could deal enough damage to shock most mobs. Time for some math.

Same assumptions as last time: level 20 added lightning, 100% spell damage, static blows.

3-38 lightning before spell totem's reduction, which brings it down to 1-19 at step 1, and 5-110 at step 4. You'd be able to shock mobs with 500-11000 original hp, but the chances of getting your totem to step 4 without it dying may be difficult.
Last edited by bassdoken on Mar 15, 2013, 9:18:50 PM
"
PyrosEien wrote:
On the LMP thing, you never get "most" of your damage back unless you have no spell power of any sort.

Sure if you just check LMP at lvl 20, you do 138% of your dmg then you remove 30% so you actually do 96.6%, amazing it's almost the same damage.

But if you have +100%spell power(or elemental/relevant element dmg) which is a fairly conservative value I'd say, instead of 200% of your damage you do 166.6%. See how it's a lot worse all of a sudden? The more spell% you have, the bigger the difference is going to be, that's the concept of multiplicative reduction.

Now obviously if you shotgun, that's still a lot more damage than you would do without and that's where LMP gets its strength, but in terms of status ailment the damage per hit is noticeably lower if you have high damage.

Do note that this doesn't mean in any way it's impossible to shock stuff and what not, I'm just pointing out that saying LMP gets most of its dmg back is a misunderstanding of basic mechanics, it never does unless you have no other source of damage, which is very very unlikely unless you're doing a non caster build and using incinerate for blind procs for example.

Good to know, I never consciously read the "less" portion. All I did was add/remove it in game and see the damage differences.

All I remember is that it made it difficult to get shocks with Incinerate. Which is why I made this witch character, to try and buff the Lightning gem enough to still get shocks end game while using LMP.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info