Incinerate

"
Amiag wrote:
I think the biggest weakness of this spell are ranged attacks. Being stationary means you are gonna get hit a lot and often from longer range than u have with this spell.

I guess faster projectiles can help on that tho

Since the projectile always pierces, has anyone tested if it can go through frost wall? Would be a pretty good remedy for this problem.
"
elbicnivnimai wrote:
"
Pivu wrote:
I'll just say, this skill is insane on my Pain Attunement witch.

I have only 6% cast speed taken in skill tree. Imo - if this skill cost so much mana, why invest in cast speed? It's better to invest in spell/fire damage. I had to eat 3 regrets to refund my 10% cast speed.

So it's currently on lvl 8, supported by:

added chaos damage, added lightning damage, life leach (ghost reaver), LMP

cost 23 mana, sustained constantly by my 106 mana regen/s.

I'll just say - deals more damage than lvl 18 fireball. nuff said.

I don't understand how you think PA and GR interact with eachother. Are you one of those guys that thinks you have PA active with CI?

I don't have CI, what are you talking about :C
"
Zealflare wrote:
"
jonts26 wrote:
I didn't read every reply here, so sorry if it was mentioned. But has anyone thought about keeping the skill at lvl1 and using added damage supports to do the real damage while the mana cost stays reasonably low (or low enough to maintain without a ton of support)?

Yeah, yeah, 20% damage effectiveness and all, but the extremely high cast speed plus huge damage bonuses in later stages would make for some insane damage, even without the innate fire damage being leveled.

Sorry, but that would be really silly. Even at 20% effectiveness, a spell gets most of its damage from leveling it. Attack skills are different since all you gain is % dmg that you get from your passive tree anyway, but there is absolutely no way you will ever get enough flat fire dmg boost for a spell, since added fire gem is based on your physical damage, and a caster has none.

20% of 8-11 base dmg vs 20% of say, 300+ base dmg? Yea...no.

Um, I'm not sure you understood what I meant. I understand the spell would get a lot of damage from leveling, but if you can't get enough mana to support it, the skill could still work at lvl1. Obviously you'd love to level it up if you can, but I think it can still be viable without leveling. Link this skill with say added lightning and added chaos. With zero boosts from any passive sources or gear or other supports you would be nearing 1000 DPS at stage 4.
"
imr1212 wrote:
"
Amiag wrote:
I think the biggest weakness of this spell are ranged attacks. Being stationary means you are gonna get hit a lot and often from longer range than u have with this spell.

I guess faster projectiles can help on that tho

Since the projectile always pierces, has anyone tested if it can go through frost wall? Would be a pretty good remedy for this problem.

I'm currently testing it while using frost wall+totem+increased duration.
(Yes, incinerate does pierce the frost wall!)

If you don't link wall with a totem, then you'd have to cast it manually, meaning you'll reset your incinerate to no bonus damage. If you do link it up to a totem, there's so many frost walls everywhere the mobs are actually pushed out of your range.

Now I'm gonna try and find some middle ground somehow.
Last edited by Dechef on Mar 8, 2013, 11:35:16 AM
Yeah, I feel like the damage bonus resetting or turning off when the totem caster moves is a bug right? The skill description says "as long as the skill is cast from the same location", and a totem is stationary. I understand if its gets a knockback or something to that effect, it should reset, but player movements should not affect it correct? Can we get confirmation whether this mechanic is intended?
cold damage gems and freeze, chill + lightning damage gems and shock + this skill ?
or blind + chance to flee + knockback + this skill?

maybe cold chill + lightning shock + knockback + faster projectile + this skill.
and conductivity + frostbite curses. (knockback or blind or chance to flee or LMP)
or Elemental Weakness.
i made a witch build on this.
Last edited by rsthrsdj on Mar 8, 2013, 12:08:16 PM
"
imr1212 wrote:
Yeah, I feel like the damage bonus resetting or turning off when the totem caster moves is a bug right? The skill description says "as long as the skill is cast from the same location", and a totem is stationary. I understand if its gets a knockback or something to that effect, it should reset, but player movements should not affect it correct? Can we get confirmation whether this mechanic is intended?

I hope this is intended, Because if this is not the case and gets changed("fixed") spell totem + this spell is the only real way to use it. also kudo's to the person who reccomended frost wall with it. that seems like a realy good combo
I think its intended aswell - otherwise it would be too similar to flame totem
So far I played a bit around with the skill... Manacost is, as basically everyone else pointed out, really high... which is a problem because you need to cast it through.

I think that you should be able to use it without EB, but with lmp instead of gmp, good gear and quite a lot of Mana nodes. Then you could also use something like Acrobatics and use Incinerate+LMP+Fire Penetration (or Faster Projectiles)+ Blind and curse mobs with Chains or Enfeeble. However... Shield Charges, Stone Dudes and stuff like that is still really dangerous and you won't get that many resistance nodes... plus, even if you can get enough Mana it still is a huge node investment.

The alternative is EB and go for Templar Tree. Then pick up some Shield Nodes and either get Unwavering Stance (too much nodes to get there to be still a good choice) or get a Chayulas Amulet. If I understood the mechanics correctly, then you also can Block without getting interrupted, which makes it that much more survivable. Also Chayulas still works with Blind I guess.

Another thing I though about was using Doedre's Tenure... however, because you need to make a number of casts to get to the next damage level it would only help with Manacost. I think I might still try it together with Lightning Warp: basically to cast Warp and channel Incinerate. But is Warp considered a movement?

So to sum it up: if you don't use Totems you will have a bad time against attacks you usually want to dodge with other chars. If the damage is high enough later on then it should be okay like that. The Skill is fun to use, but it locks to one target sometimes when you begin to cast. Seems to me like a really difficult skill... but the damage output of the lower gem levels seemed really good at the third stage.
hrm... Duel totem this, and the player just keeps the frost wall up guarding them. could be interesting to try. I guess you'd pick Templar and grab the elemental damage nodes, witch fire damage cluster, witch shock chance/duration (added lightning damage). Throw projectile speed on the totem to give it a workable range. Since your only spammed spell is frost wall, mana is no issue. With LMP and Elemental prolif you'll keep everything 3x shocked, and since you're standing still you shouldn't have a problem keeping the totems ramped up.

I dunno. It sounds kinda boring to play, but not any moreso than summoner build. Might give it a try.

Edit - To the above. Warp and flicker strike aren't considered movement since you can use all of them while under the effect of a bear trap (which only locks movement, not skills that displace you).
Last edited by JonnyMonroe on Mar 8, 2013, 12:26:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info