Shock Nova

"
konfeta wrote:

My Fireball is 101 mana per cast with 2.68 cast per second. I manage just fine.

Acquire this set of flasks:

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

uhhhh... no? why not just get surgeons flasks, although the last one you listed there with the 3% mana leech is pretty cool
Last edited by Darkfyre on Dec 15, 2011, 11:45:23 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I really HATE the new animation (and apparent effect it has) of shock nova.

Give us back the ring starting inward and expanding outward please - or is it a bug that it starts outward and goes inward?
"
uhhhh... no

uhhhh... yes.

Unless you enjoy playing "I need to stop casting every 4 seconds the game."

Of course, theoretically, if you were to drop some cast speed, pick up some -% cost, and +%flask passives; maybe even the 15 mana per kill passive you could get away with just Catalyzed or Caustic flasks.

But I don't see how a 120 mana per second flask is supposed to keep up with the very high mana expenditure combinations.

Personally, I prefer to be able to cast without interruptions or having to wait for mana to regenerate, so, I'd rather stick with instant flasks.

And, note, 9.5 will come with flasks that restore more per use but at slower rate. If mana costs remain unaffected, the need for +restoration speed is going to go up up up.
Last edited by konfeta on Dec 15, 2011, 1:23:52 PM
"
konfeta wrote:
"
uhhhh... no

uhhhh... yes.

Unless you enjoy playing "I need to stop casting every 4 seconds the game."

Of course, theoretically, if you were to drop some cast speed, pick up some -% cost, and +%flask passives; maybe even the 15 mana per kill passive you could get away with just Catalyzed or Caustic flasks.

But I don't see how a 120 mana per second flask is supposed to keep up with the very high mana expenditure combinations.

Personally, I prefer to be able to cast without interruptions or having to wait for mana to regenerate, so, I'd rather stick with instant flasks.

And, note, 9.5 will come with flasks that restore more per use but at slower rate. If mana costs remain unaffected, the need for +restoration speed is going to go up up up.

"
uhhhh... no

thats ^ where you stopped reading my post, isn't it?
You mentioned Surgeon's Flasks. The entirety of that response was "you need restoration speed prioritized," which Surgeon Flask's are completely irrelevant for.
"
You can use this skill to kill enemies on a cliff above you. Intended?

As do most AoE skills.

You can cleave up cliffs as well, but I guess as people aren't all talking about cleave as being OP, then it's posted in here.

I don't find Shock Nova at all OP. I find it far more difficult to play a squishy char that has to rely on keeping mobs at max range while trying to hit mobs with a mana draining AoE skill, than I do a Marauder that has plenty of health can steam into packs of mobs and completely fill their hp bubble while cleaving all the mobs to death.

If mana leech existed to the same extent that hp leech does, and leeched from spell damage then maybe it would be a more OP skill
"
konfeta wrote:
You mentioned Surgeon's Flasks. The entirety of that response was "you need restoration speed prioritized," which Surgeon Flask's are completely irrelevant for.

i don't know where you got that from, but..

what I was basically saying is that the flasks you listed aren't the "best" because they could each be made better by adding the "surgeon" prefix to them - which would help them stay filled a lot better. I also meant (though I implied it instead of stating it directly) that they could each benefit from x% mana leech.
Surgeon is mutually exclusive with Catalyzed, Bubbling, and Seething..

You cannot improve on those 3 flasks as far as mana recovery speed goes. Surgeon's is a downgrade from them.
0.9.5 feedback below this post

Hi, im playing now with a Ranger, hack & slash again, i've the Shock Nova at a level where does between 7-131 of damage, each cast costs 23 mana points; well... even before enter on the Act 2 it seems to never do a high damage, haven't seen a single NME die because my Shock Nova since i'd begin to use this skill gem, so it seems to be useless because i do much more damage with my Ice Spear (DAM 30-44, MANA 14) at least mana cost.
Three ice spears to kill a monkey on the Dark Forest, no idea how many Shock Novas as i'd never killed a single thing with it, but seems to always choose the least damage and never reach the max one.

As side note; i'd used it on the Crossroads at some distance from a Shambling Goliath, it triggered his standing animation but didn't made him any damage, when i'd get close to him... he went back to the Pile Of Rocks form and performed the standing animation again before attack.

I think that it always chooses to do the minimun damage and costs too much mana for what it actualy does. Let's C ya
Punk's Not Dead = Semper Fi.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info