widescreen resolution removed from the game.

monthly white-knight post!

They ALREADY ANSWERED this thread. All you folks screaming about "no responses...53 pages", smh. The problem has been answered. Move on
"
Previously it was possible to manually set the aspect ratio of the Path of Exile client to be very short and wide, allowing you to see an unintended amount of the level at once. A limit needed to be set. Because of server serialisation distances, this maximum aspect ratio is currently set to 21:9. This is the widest that we can currently go before we start hitting the cutoff where entities and effects vanish. We are looking at being able to increase this in the future.

This note was accidentally missed from the patch notes. We're very sorry for that oversight.

4 months ago.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Nov 20, 2022, 10:26:02 PM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
"
Previously it was possible to manually set the aspect ratio of the Path of Exile client to be very short and wide, allowing you to see an unintended amount of the level at once. A limit needed to be set. Because of server serialisation distances, this maximum aspect ratio is currently set to 21:9. This is the widest that we can currently go before we start hitting the cutoff where entities and effects vanish. We are looking at being able to increase this in the future.

This note was accidentally missed from the patch notes. We're very sorry for that oversight.

4 months ago.

This isn't an answer, let me tell you why. There is a community fix that removes the black bars. Everything beyond the black bars is still being processed on the server end, sent to the client, and the client is still processing and rendering the boxes/monsters/effects behind the black bars. And yes, they are still there, they haven't "vanished".

This means that what they've done isn't going to "help" serialization at all, since the servers are still doing all of the work, and the clients are still receiving all of the information and then processing it. Clearly this isn't "the widest they can currently go", and this won't help serialization, because all they did was slap two black bars on the sides of the screen instead of actually changing the code to reduce what is being processed and transferred to the client.

They say they are looking to increase the distance, but the game already functions beyond that distance. At least lengthen it to the point where the ACTUAL vanishing occurs, which is just around the very edges of a 32:9 monitor. 21:9 is arbitrary and not an actual cutoff.

Maybe the real reason for the change makes sense, but when it went from technical dev to the community support person, who may not be deeply technical, something was lost in the translation. We don't know, because the statement you quoted is basically all we have.

So effectively, the response they gave isn't really a response, it's an excuse and appears inaccurate. Much like other unpopular changes to the game, we, as a group, would like a real answer with an explanation beyond 1 sentence that doesn't appear to be accurate. It's not unjustified to want a small write up of why our hardware is no longer supported, after it's been supported since beta. So instead of white knight trolling on a thread that doesn't even concern you, move along and let us continue to try to get a real answer as to why they have made our favorite game an ugly experience instead of an immersive one.
fix pls, ty ggg
3+ months and still no 32:9 support back ?
Let alone the rest of the bullshit decisions by GGG.
Bahahahaha I knew I had to wait more before checking but guess a ruined game is a ruined game.
"
Smooshfaced wrote:

This isn't an answer, let me tell you why. There is a community fix that removes the black bars. Everything beyond the black bars is still being processed on the server end, sent to the client, and the client is still processing and rendering the boxes/monsters/effects behind the black bars. And yes, they are still there, they haven't "vanished".

This means that what they've done isn't going to "help" serialization at all, since the servers are still doing all of the work, and the clients are still receiving all of the information and then processing it. Clearly this isn't "the widest they can currently go", and this won't help serialization, because all they did was slap two black bars on the sides of the screen instead of actually changing the code to reduce what is being processed and transferred to the client.

They say they are looking to increase the distance, but the game already functions beyond that distance. At least lengthen it to the point where the ACTUAL vanishing occurs, which is just around the very edges of a 32:9 monitor. 21:9 is arbitrary and not an actual cutoff.

If the game is capable of keeping updating actors at arbitrarily large distances up to the whole map, it does not mean devs like this situation, as it allows specific players to generate much more server and bandwidth load. Maybe behind those black bars they have actually simplified mob AI or something.

I would certainly love to be able to see in game far enough to prevent bad game design like Sirus jumping offscreen and sniping from there without any directional indicators, but these things are exactly what GGG "challenges" are about. Allow players to outmaneuver bloated instakill mechanics?? Never!

Unless half of the playerbase is sporting ultrawide monitors, the real reason behind this change likely was not server load, but prevention of players circumventing the designed difficulty. And for some reason still allowing projectile attacks to kill things 2 screens away, lol.
You can all shove your 32:9 monitors to an appropriate hole that I won't specify.
Performance be damned, it very clearly provides a gameplay advantage over anyone with an 16:9 display, which is most of the world. If you don't like the black bars play it windowed.
"
sdfesdfe wrote:
You can all shove your 32:9 monitors to an appropriate hole that I won't specify.
Performance be damned, it very clearly provides a gameplay advantage over anyone with an 16:9 display, which is most of the world. If you don't like the black bars play it windowed.

So do 21:9 screens, but they are okay.

Also, you can (or rather could) play windowed at 32:9 on your 16:9 screen if you thought the gameplay advantage (in a mostly non-competitive game) was worth it.

I've never heard anyone complain about the gameplay advantage of 32:9 screens before their support was broken (not removed, but broken, the current system is really stupid).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on Nov 22, 2022, 11:14:22 AM
"
sdfesdfe wrote:

Do you own a 32:9 monitor?
I still want this fixed. kthxbye

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info