widescreen resolution removed from the game.

"
robmafia wrote:
"
AngryGekko wrote:
Why does the microscopic fraction of players who dive into PvP determine the resolution for all the rest of the players? Why not set 21:9 dynamicly as soon as PvP game modes are active?

This is such a bad design decision in 2022, a perfect example for a company out of touch with their customer's needs.

the reason isn't pvp. it's due to idle mobs/projectiles going invisible beyond a set distance.

which, ironically, is only a pvp problem... (because players aren't idle mobs)

ggg is in a pick your poison scenario due to their own bad coding and inability to fix the invisible proj bug (which they've known about for at least 7 years). so either mobs remain idle and ultra wide players can see where they are with impunity or the aggro range increases, which is going to kill off tons of players due to the aforementioned invisible projectiles. (there's some karma here... in that a long known bug that's plagued pvp for ages that ggg never bothered to fix is now taking collateral damage from ultra widescreen users, lolz)

if only "trolling" (seriously, if you think you're trolled by facts/evidence, then maybe you should assess your belief structure) wasn't more fun than the game.

"
XeoTech wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/x6k3ve/this_guy_made_my_day/

did you even read that? there are numerous people mentioning the inherent advantages that the resolution brings.

poe 2022.

What you say about the whole 32:9 point makes sense, but at the same time indicates that you never actually had the opportunity to play PoE on this type of display in normal conditions.
PvP is the least of GGG concern for balancing the game, so does this 32:9 change. I absolutely get that PvP players do have complaints on ultrawide, and as I said already, it seems fair to me to disable it (even 21:9 !) on specific competitive focused contents if GGG legitimately comes to the conclusion that it gives an unfair advantage.

On the other hand, I can't say a lot about PvP as I didn't even play once in that mode, but I can absolutely confirm that 32:9 does not give any advantage in classical mapping/faming. Imho, it's the opposite.

Yes, things are rendered further than on others screens. But the screen itself is wider. While using a 32:9 display at ideal distance, this so called advantage isn't usefull at all, as it is in the edges of your field of view. It's the opposite, static elements are just "bypassed" by your brain processing everything that is on screen, and a small movement/popping will get your attention. Then, your focus switch to that movement, removing your eyes (wider screen, you just cannot have the whole screen in your FoV, edges are in your peripherial vision) from your character, and your life bar ... Huge mistake, during this precious time, you will not notice a poison/bleeding or an immediate threat, as you are looking at the corner of your screen. I died several times like this last league.

I'm at around 2.8k hours played. I only played Sentinel league on my brand new 32:9 display, so I played about 2.6k hours on a 16:9 display. This league I have close to 60h played, with a 21:9 screen ratio. To be honest, from a sole efficiency point, 21:9 seems to be the sweet spot. Wider FoV than 16:9, but no "too much infos on areas where it's not relevant". I really think that 32:9 does not give an edge on a 32:9 display. It may give one on smaller displays in windowed mode, as you have everything in a smaller scale (so removing it in windowed mode could also be a correct fix), but it's not on the "real thing".

I play to have fun, and I do love the immersion of 32:9. Even if I feel that 21:9 is the "optimal" ratio, I just want to enjoy my full screen and the added immersion it gives.
Last edited by onexxx on Sep 6, 2022, 8:34:50 PM
Bump. Fix it, GGG.
"
onexxx wrote:
"
robmafia wrote:
"
AngryGekko wrote:
Why does the microscopic fraction of players who dive into PvP determine the resolution for all the rest of the players? Why not set 21:9 dynamicly as soon as PvP game modes are active?

This is such a bad design decision in 2022, a perfect example for a company out of touch with their customer's needs.

the reason isn't pvp. it's due to idle mobs/projectiles going invisible beyond a set distance.

which, ironically, is only a pvp problem... (because players aren't idle mobs)

ggg is in a pick your poison scenario due to their own bad coding and inability to fix the invisible proj bug (which they've known about for at least 7 years). so either mobs remain idle and ultra wide players can see where they are with impunity or the aggro range increases, which is going to kill off tons of players due to the aforementioned invisible projectiles. (there's some karma here... in that a long known bug that's plagued pvp for ages that ggg never bothered to fix is now taking collateral damage from ultra widescreen users, lolz)

if only "trolling" (seriously, if you think you're trolled by facts/evidence, then maybe you should assess your belief structure) wasn't more fun than the game.

"
XeoTech wrote:

did you even read that? there are numerous people mentioning the inherent advantages that the resolution brings.

poe 2022.

What you say about the whole 32:9 point makes sense, but at the same time indicates that you never actually had the opportunity to play PoE on this type of display in normal conditions.
PvP is the least of GGG concern for balancing the game, so does this 32:9 change. I absolutely get that PvP players do have complaints on ultrawide, and as I said already, it seems fair to me to disable it (even 21:9 !) on specific competitive focused contents if GGG legitimately comes to the conclusion that it gives an unfair advantage.

On the other hand, I can't say a lot about PvP as I didn't even play once in that mode, but I can absolutely confirm that 32:9 does not give any advantage in classical mapping/faming. Imho, it's the opposite.

Yes, things are rendered further than on others screens. But the screen itself is wider. While using a 32:9 display at ideal distance, this so called advantage isn't usefull at all, as it is in the edges of your field of view. It's the opposite, static elements are just "bypassed" by your brain processing everything that is on screen, and a small movement/popping will get your attention. Then, your focus switch to that movement, removing your eyes (wider screen, you just cannot have the whole screen in your FoV, edges are in your peripherial vision) from your character, and your life bar ... Huge mistake, during this precious time, you will not notice a poison/bleeding or an immediate threat, as you are looking at the corner of your screen. I died several times like this last league.

I'm at around 2.8k hours played. I only played Sentinel league on my brand new 32:9 display, so I played about 2.6k hours on a 16:9 display. This league I have close to 60h played, with a 21:9 screen ratio. To be honest, from a sole efficiency point, 21:9 seems to be the sweet spot. Wider FoV than 16:9, but no "too much infos on areas where it's not relevant". I really think that 32:9 does not give an edge on a 32:9 display. It may give one on smaller displays in windowed mode, as you have everything in a smaller scale (so removing it in windowed mode could also be a correct fix), but it's not on the "real thing".

I play to have fun, and I do love the immersion of 32:9. Even if I feel that 21:9 is the "optimal" ratio, I just want to enjoy my full screen and the added immersion it gives.

it certainly gives advantages, especially in maps that are more horizontal and in instances like delve, where you'll have a much greater fov to see what is (or isn't) ahead.

at its core, it was/is supposed to be competitive. but i do agree that this hasn't really been the case for ages and matters much less now. damn near everyone who embraced the competitiveness already quit.

the pvp/racing arguments were only really mentioned to refute claims that wide resolutions were never complained about before... despite actually being some of the oldest complaints. the most relevant that pvp has to this is ironic (they can't just increase aggro range to adjust to the resolution due to invisible projectiles [proj go invisible beyond some range while they're still actually active, it's been a bane of pvp for ages] which would murder the shit out of you in quite unfair ways. so ggg's basically stuck with a series of bad solutions due to being unable/unwilling to fix that bug.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
robmafia wrote:
it certainly gives advantages, especially in maps that are more horizontal and in instances like delve, where you'll have a much greater fov to see what is (or isn't) ahead.

I'm not convinced it does.

Riot allows ultra-wide for league of legends, and it allows you to basically see the entire top section of the map if you top-lane, but the added vision makes you worse at the game because it draws attention away from the part of the screen that actually matters.

I'm not really convinced this is why GGG removed it either. But I guess we'll never know, since they won't tell us, and having half their screen turned off is going to cause anyone with a wide aspect monitor to migrate to other games.

I'm mostly angry about it because my most active ARPG friend has one, and I doubt I'll get to play much PoE with him again.
Bump.

Zero reason for this feature to be removed. Fix it, GGG.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/x75exd/the_glory_of_poe_in_329_in_screenshots_wow/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/wwnhzl/goodbye_ultrawide_poe_329_5120x1440/
"
"
robmafia wrote:

Riot allows ultra-wide for league of legends, and it allows you to basically see the entire top section of the map if you top-lane, but the added vision makes you worse at the game because it draws attention away from the part of the screen that actually matters.

I'm not really convinced this is why GGG removed it either. But I guess we'll never know, since they won't tell us, and having half their screen turned off is going to cause anyone with a wide aspect monitor to migrate to other games.

I'm mostly angry about it because my most active ARPG friend has one, and I doubt I'll get to play much PoE with him again.

...you're not convinced that seeing more/helpful information than others gives an advantage?

like, REALLY?
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Sep 7, 2022, 9:56:51 AM
Guys, stop arguing with the guy who doesn't play the game and who is trying to act like a game mode nobody plays (PVP) is justification for this obviously bad decision from GGG.

Also, bump. Please revert this change, GGG. Removing hardware support is not good.
"
robmafia wrote:
"
"
robmafia wrote:

...you're not convinced that seeing more/helpful information than others gives an advantage?

like, REALLY?

What advantage is there? They still get the same loot drops the rest of us do.
"

What advantage is there? They still get the same loot drops the rest of us do.

There is no meaningful advantage to 32:9 play in this game. Don't feed this guy. He's already said he doesn't play PoE and he's only able to reference PVP feedback when arguing against 32:9 support.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info