widescreen resolution removed from the game.

Imagine if POE2 is a success and that ultra wide is implemented: trolling 24/7 showing how you can see, or even hit, bosses or packs others players can't... :-D
Last edited by Universalis on Jun 5, 2024, 6:36:04 AM
"
Pashid wrote:
What a really desperate and bad comparison lol.

Desperation seems to be the only thing he has left. I played the entirety of Synthesis without buying one stash tab and did it again on an alt account on Heist, so he doesn't even have the truth going for him.

And yes, it is truly amusing how far one person's gaslighting and stash of copium can go.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
Last edited by AdRonZh3Ro on Jun 5, 2024, 9:50:33 AM
How have we gone from "Take notes everyone - this is how you actually make good arguments."

Spoiler
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Ulsarek wrote:
How this is still up for debate is beyond me. GGG put a limit in place because the game was never designed for such resolutions and actively broke the game. Just because it wasn't apparent to the average user doesn't mean those problems didn't exist.

Just from the top of my head, to name a few:
• You could see entities spawning in at the edge of your screen and position or navigate accordingly
• More often than not said entities weren't even properly loading in, t-posing wasn't uncommon
• As stated by GGG themselves, such resolutions caused unintended behaviour and fucked with their server load
• Major advantage, you could essentially offscreen packs and bosses with little effort
• Bosses don't have infinite enmity range, some could be offscreened without them even moving towards the player
• You couldn't click on the map or loot items beyond a certain area on your screen

There was even a popular case 4 years ago during the China race where the streamer Ventrua used a very wide resolution to offscreen Baran with Essence Drain during said race. He pretty much sat at the edge of the arena and slowly killed the boss without the boss even moving. This could be applied to many bosses and thus indeed is beyond broken and a unfair advantage. (https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/i7qq7n/ventrua_exploiting_ultrawide_in_china_race/)

32:9 and beyond working in the first place was an oversight. GGG most likely never thought of it and once they started to identify problems a solution was applied.

One could argue black bars are a bad solution but then again it isn't uncommon in the industry and much easier to implement than fixing whatever else gets broken by these ridiculous resolutions. Elden Ring also doesn't allow widescreen for these reasons. GGG did the right thing here.

Besides widescreen still works, 21:9 is a significant upgrade over 16:9 but doesn't break anything.

Take notes everyone - this is how you actually make good arguments.

I don't agree, as I've argued throughout this thread, that these points validate the decision to "solve" the problem by implementing black bars in the main game. I agree that 32:9 (and, I would argue, even 21:9) should be banned from races and PvP modes, but black bars are the laziest and most clumsy possible "fix" for the main game.

For one thing, it's an overstatement to say 32:9 broke the game. Every instance you mention of 32:9 "breaking" something in the regular noncompetitive modes could have been solved by bug fixes or fog of war, either of which would be a far better solution.

I also would argue that GGG's "my servers are melting" reasoning is complete nonsense and just them grasping at straws to justify a lazy design choice. This issue affects something on the order of 0.5% of their players. That's just not significant enough to meaningfully affect their overall server load. Also, it is not right for a company to pass problems on their backend off to their paying customers. Players pay GGG so they can support their staff and all their technical backend. Slapping black bars on player screens to save 1% server load is not acceptable, particularly for a company their size.

GGG did the lazy thing here, not the right thing. Bug fixes and/or possibly a fog of war or FoV system would be GGG doing the right thing.

To what I can only call gaslighting right here:

Spoiler
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Echothesis wrote:
So far haven't seen an argument against what I said 2 pages ago, about why the rest of black bars solution working rather poorly and should either be fixed or removed.

There are no defensible arguments in favor of black bars, and none have been offered in 1 year, 291 days.

Fix it.

Actually downright toxic.
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
Actually downright toxic.

His arguments were alredy weak then, it only degraded with his sanity.

"Fog of war" on any RTS worth their weight is alredy "black bars" until you actually discover that particular terrain.

Giving a competitive edge is the actually only indefensible argument. It gives an advantage, period.

If it saves 1% of the server load by doing doing something so simple, you bet your ass any other company would've done it.

"Paying costumers" is the biggest LoL here. The game is free. :)
Last edited by AdRonZh3Ro on Jun 5, 2024, 11:54:05 AM
I love how bad faith he is. Makes it comedic to read. 100% GGG reading this reaffirming their stance to remove a broken advantage. His entire argument is I don't like black bars. But when anyone brings up the reasons he ignores and says there is no reason. 10/10 entitled.
Okay, I am back home, lets try this again from the very beginning :)

"
Universalis wrote:
Imagine if POE2 is a success and that ultra wide is implemented: trolling 24/7 showing how you can see, or even hit, bosses or packs others players can't... :-D

You can hit masses of monsters other players (builds) can't regardless of black bars, monsters being even farther from you that black bars cover. In fact this is most efficient way of playing poe for at least several years. So why implement such archaic and for-many-annoying change if it doesn't affect gameplay?

"
Dozer72 wrote:
I love how bad faith he is. Makes it comedic to read. 100% GGG reading this reaffirming their stance to remove a broken advantage. His entire argument is I don't like black bars. But when anyone brings up the reasons he ignores and says there is no reason. 10/10 entitled.

You can hit masses of monsters other players (builds) can't regardless of black bars, monsters being even farther from you that black bars cover. In fact this is most efficient way of playing poe for at least several years. So why implement such archaic and for-many-annoying change if it doesn't affect gameplay?

"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:

"Fog of war" on any RTS worth their weight is alredy "black bars" until you actually discover that particular terrain.

A big until. There is a reason whole industry moved away from 4:3, gaming comfort should be prioritized over lazy tweaks that don't even get their declared job done. A hundred companies spent their resources on implementing fog of war in their top-down RTS and top-down Arpg, and here we learn they were all fools, only GGG does it right by just slamming black bars :)
I think its rather silly to keep talking about the "advantage" aspect of having the ultrawide screen, and talk more about the ACTUAL problems that the devs themselves told us about....this whole "being able to see more of the screen" thing was very minor compared to the real issue of the ultrawide resolution.

The fact that it was causing issues with the way the game was programmed and messing with visuals and rendering in a way that they did not like.

Advantage doesn't matter, preference doesn't matter, comfort doesn't matter. It simply DID NOT WORK the way GGG wanted it to work and so they scrapped it. Who the hell are all of you to tell them that their programming decision with their game is unacceptable?

Inb4 we start the whole merry-go-round "but they are wrong on their reasoning!"....please. I'm going to trust the actual creators of the game over random petulant children online any day of the week.

This entire thread hinges on one or two guys claiming that there was "never an issue" prior to the removal of ultrawide support, when we heard from GGG themselves that there WAS an issue.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jun 6, 2024, 6:58:57 AM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
I think its rather silly to keep talking about the "advantage" aspect of having the ultrawide screen, and talk more about the ACTUAL problems that the devs themselves told us about....this whole "being able to see more of the screen" thing was very minor compared to the real issue of the ultrawide resolution.

The fact that it was causing issues with the way the game was programmed and messing with visuals and rendering in a way that they did not like.

Advantage doesn't matter, preference doesn't matter, comfort doesn't matter. It simply DID NOT WORK the way GGG wanted it to work and so they scrapped it. Who the hell are all of you to tell them that their programming decision with their game is unacceptable?

Inb4 we start the whole merry-go-round "but they are wrong on their reasoning!"....please. I'm going to trust the actual creators of the game over random petulant children online any day of the week.

This entire thread hinges on one or two guys claiming that there was "never an issue" prior to the removal of ultrawide support, when we heard from GGG themselves that there WAS an issue.

Cannot find GGG-based information about this, what kind of issue was that? Monsters along with other VFX disappearing from view on client, but still can be interacted/killed on server? This shouldn't be an engine-breaking issue, just visual inconsistency. If it was, fixing said issue is still the way, and/or covering it with fog of war, not with unreliable black bars.

Numerous people already tested/proved no gamebreaking issue on their end so far (moderators will jump if I say more about this:) )
"
Echothesis wrote:
If it was, fixing said issue is still the way, and/or covering it with fog of war, not with unreliable black bars.

I don't know where you get your sources from, but fog of war is not more reliable than limiting aspect ratio. And let's get the facts straight, it's aspect ratio, not black bars.

Forcing unintended aspect ratios IS what causes bugs. As far as i know, there wasn't a limit for aspect ratio set in place because it was never needed and the cut off for projectiles and visible interactions was alredy very generous. When ultra wide became a thing, the issue became known, and they were forced to address the issue. Limiting the aspect ratio is, by far, the easiest way to fix this issue in, let's be honest, a very old code.

Their excuse that it causes more server lag is weak, there's no denying, but only a fool or an abuser would keep saying that it's ok to constantly see (or not see) something the developers never intended anyone to realistically see.
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
I don't know where you get your sources from, but fog of war is not more reliable than limiting aspect ratio.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

Black bars are not defensible. The advantage given by 32:9 is not more significant in the main non-competitive PvE leagues than any of the dozens of other advantages allowed, such as fast PC hardware, high refresh rate displays, paid stash tabs, and many third party tools designed to give players advantages in game.

Selectively removing 32:9 is nothing but arbitrary within the realm of "what advantages does GGG allow?", and black bars is lazy and indefensible compared to other alternatives if GGG is intent on arbitrarily restricting this one particular hardware advantage.

1 year, 293 days.

Fix it.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Jun 6, 2024, 11:15:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info