widescreen resolution removed from the game.

"
Nomancs wrote:
"
tackle70 wrote:
Apparently some people can't distinguish between competitive PvP games and non-competitive PvE games.

"
tackle70 wrote:
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard

Even you consider it competitive

Read please.

"
tackle70 wrote:
If the PvP portion of a game mode is opt-in for players, that game mode itself is non-competitive by definition.
Game is PVE competitive, and even you consider it competitive

"
tackle70 wrote:

Also, so is GGG
"
One of the things that's most fun about playing a competitive online Action RPG is taking part in a levelling race on a fresh server.
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
Last edited by Nomancs on May 31, 2024, 8:44:47 AM
GGG also says black bars are OK. And they are not, as has been shown repeatedly in this thread, and which nobody is presenting logical arguments to the contrary.

Also, please read and engage with the arguments if you want further reply. Otherwise, thanks for helping keep this important matter at the top of the forum.

"
tackle70 wrote:
If the PvP portion of a game mode is opt-in for players, that game mode itself is non-competitive by definition.

Even you consider PoE to be competitive, otherwise why would you keep your rankings in your forum sub?

"
tackle70 wrote:

Even those ranks indicate that game is competitive. I know it, you know it, GGG know it. Denying reality doesn't change it - PoE is competitive.

Sorry, if you want unfair advantage - I hope it will never happen.

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
Last edited by Nomancs on May 31, 2024, 8:55:42 AM
"
Nomancs wrote:
Even you consider PoE to be competitive,

When your argument relies on completely ignoring another person's argument(s) only then to attribute to them things they obviously don't think or agree with, you know you've lost the debate.

Dunno what else to say. Thanks for your help bumping the thread.
Except you had no arguments so far, except claiming that GGG is wrong saying that PoE is competitive, except this is their game.

One of my arguments is your signature, it means that even for you PoE IS competitive, you consider it such and you're proud of your ranks:
"
tackle70 wrote:

NO TO UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.

"
Nomancs wrote:
Except you had no arguments so far, except claiming that GGG is wrong saying that PoE is competitive, except this is their game.

One of my arguments is your signature, it means that even for you PoE IS competitive, you consider it such and you're proud of your ranks:
"
tackle70 wrote:

NO TO UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.

Poe is built around UNFAIR ADVANTAGE, no? You don't need more visible FOV to make offscreen clearing char, which alleviates one of the main race hindrances - random BS deaths from nowhere. How is "GGG should fix combat balance first, not make a half-arsed solution in the form of black bars" for an argument?
"
Echothesis wrote:

Poe is built around UNFAIR ADVANTAGE, no?

Not extra paid one, no, lol. Extra FOV is great advantage for plenty of situations starting with delve, and you know it.

"
Echothesis wrote:
Poe is built around UNFAIR ADVANTAGE, no? You don't need more visible FOV to make offscreen clearing char, which alleviates one of the main race hindrances - random BS deaths from nowhere. How is "GGG should fix combat balance first, not make a half-arsed solution in the form of black bars" for an argument?

PoE players: "Dying to offscreen attacks is unfair and shouldn't be a thing"
Also PoE players: "Seeing enemies that would normally be offscreen is not a competitive advantage!"

Hngh.
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
How this is still up for debate is beyond me. GGG put a limit in place because the game was never designed for such resolutions and actively broke the game. Just because it wasn't apparent to the average user doesn't mean those problems didn't exist.

Just from the top of my head, to name a few:
• You could see entities spawning in at the edge of your screen and position or navigate accordingly
• More often than not said entities weren't even properly loading in, t-posing wasn't uncommon
• As stated by GGG themselves, such resolutions caused unintended behaviour and fucked with their server load
• Major advantage, you could essentially offscreen packs and bosses with little effort
• Bosses don't have infinite enmity range, some could be offscreened without them even moving towards the player
• You couldn't click on the map or loot items beyond a certain area on your screen

There was even a popular case 4 years ago during the China race where the streamer Ventrua used a very wide resolution to offscreen Baran with Essence Drain during said race. He pretty much sat at the edge of the arena and slowly killed the boss without the boss even moving. This could be applied to many bosses and thus indeed is beyond broken and a unfair advantage. (https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/i7qq7n/ventrua_exploiting_ultrawide_in_china_race/)

32:9 and beyond working in the first place was an oversight. GGG most likely never thought of it and once they started to identify problems a solution was applied.

One could argue black bars are a bad solution but then again it isn't uncommon in the industry and much easier to implement than fixing whatever else gets broken by these ridiculous resolutions. Elden Ring also doesn't allow widescreen for these reasons. GGG did the right thing here.

Besides widescreen still works, 21:9 is a significant upgrade over 16:9 but doesn't break anything.
Last edited by Ulsarek on May 31, 2024, 10:29:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info