widescreen resolution removed from the game.

"
tackle70 wrote:
1 year, 279 days

Fix it

1 year, 279 days, fix your own hardware.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
"
tackle70 wrote:
1 year, 279 days

Fix it
"
Previously it was possible to manually set the aspect ratio of the Path of Exile client to be very short and wide, allowing you to see an unintended amount of the level at once. A limit needed to be set. Because of server serialisation distances, this maximum aspect ratio is currently set to 21:9. This is the widest that we can currently go before we start hitting the cutoff where entities and effects vanish. We are looking at being able to increase this in the future.
Last edited by Ulsarek on May 23, 2024, 6:46:31 AM
1 year, 280 days of nobody having a single defensible argument in favor of black bars.

Fix it

Black bar crew - make a real argument if you want a response. Here's a reminder of what you should be thinking about [Removed by Support]

"
tackle70 wrote:

If you want to argue that black bars are a defensible, logical inclusion in this game, the basic argument that needs refutation is as follows:

"
tackle70 wrote:

I don't feel like repeating myself for the millionth time as to the substance here for why black bars are an objectively bad design choice with zero rational defense. You can read the thread if you want. the TL;DR is:
  • This is a non-competitive PvE game
  • It's OK to remove ultrawide support for competitive modes e.g. PVP/prize races, but this does not necessitate removal for the base game
  • There are many allowed hardware and software advantages, many of which arguably impact the game much more than 32:9 gameplay; selectively removing one is nothing but arbitrary
  • Ultrawide users can work around this anyway, so this doesn't actually solve any problems from "bad actors" or people intent on exploits. Only regular players following TOS are affected.
  • If there are problems with ultrawide resolutions, black bars are not an acceptable solution. Multiple acceptable alternatives throughout this thread have been presented - fog of war, AI adjustments, variable FOV, bug fixes, etc.

For black bars to be OK and for this thread to go away, two things must both be true - first, the advantage given by 32:9 is a problem and needs to be removed and second, black bars are the appropriate way to do this.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by Jenn_GGG on May 24, 2024, 6:23:16 AM
"
tackle70 wrote:
1 year, 280 days of nobody having a single defensible argument in favor of black bars.

Fix it

1 year, 280 days and you still have to fix the problem on your own side :)
Last edited by Pashid on May 24, 2024, 6:24:32 AM
1 year, 281 days, and no cogent arguments in defense of black bars in sight

Fix it
"
tackle70 wrote:

Fix it

1 year 281 days and yet:

"
Previously it was possible to manually set the aspect ratio of the Path of Exile client to be very short and wide, allowing you to see an unintended amount of the level at once. A limit needed to be set. Because of server serialisation distances, this maximum aspect ratio is currently set to 21:9. This is the widest that we can currently go before we start hitting the cutoff where entities and effects vanish. We are looking at being able to increase this in the future.
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
Last edited by ArtCrusade on May 25, 2024, 1:14:10 PM
"
tackle70 wrote:

Fix it

1 year, 281 days
Fix your hardware.
Last edited by Pashid on May 25, 2024, 6:57:31 PM
1 year, 281 days and "We are looking at being able to increase this in the future." still not happened. Instead GGG actively deletes any hints on how pointless this restriction is in its current form, as if this could change reality :)
1 year, 282 days

Fix it
"
tackle70 wrote:
1 year, 282 days

Fix it

1 year, 282 days
Fix your bad hardware choice

Report Forum Post