widescreen resolution removed from the game.

"
jsuslak313 wrote:
"
tackle70 wrote:

If I were to punch a hole in my wall, it doesn't matter if it was intentional or accidental - I still need to fix it and patch up the wall.

So it is here. This may be intentional, but it has broken an aspect of the game for no reason and so it needs to be fixed.

You are fundamentally wrong. Your analogy is the exact opposite of reality.

You think they punched a hole in the wall by removing widescreen support and they need to fix it.

THEY have TOLD YOU in no ambiguous terms that widescreen support WAS the hole in the wall and them removing it was doing the repairs you say "has to be done".

Go back to wherever you went and keep ignoring the game you hate so much because of losing a few inches. The game that so HORRIBLY changed because of this incredibly minor change.

lollllllllll

this is the most hilarious joke response in this thread
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Feb 27, 2024, 1:17:01 AM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:

THEY have TOLD YOU in no ambiguous terms that widescreen support WAS the hole in the wall and them removing it was doing the repairs you say "has to be done".

Go back to wherever you went and keep ignoring the game you hate so much because of losing a few inches. The game that so HORRIBLY changed because of this incredibly minor change.

Sure, but cutting whole screen is the most lazy and crude way to "patch" this hole, kinda like students solving stack overflow bug in their homework program by disabling stack overflow checks first :)

If tactical visibility is an issue, make a fog of war, limit monster replication radius. If you've had experience of playing in UW, cutting static landscape panorama really detracts from the immersion (regardless of game genre), even if covered in fog of war. There is a reason no one makes 4:3 screens anymore.

edit: btw, funny thing is, people can still simulate widescreen by using windowed mode and manually stretching the window. So I fail to see a single constructive point in the approach GGG chose.
Last edited by Echothesis on Feb 27, 2024, 5:02:03 AM
As a widescreen owner I am all for games supporting these resolutions, as long as it doesn't break the game. Path of Exile at 32:9 was broken so they fixed it. It remains fine at 21:9, however.

Proof: 2560x1440 (16:9)

vs
3440x1440 (21:9)

Looks and works just fine for me, hoho. /thread
Last edited by Ulsarek on Feb 27, 2024, 7:17:15 AM
I did not know about the whole windowed mode thing, that is... I am not sure it’s funny actually.
But yea black bars are bad, Elden Ring had the same thing, also a game I truly love. I simply modded it and never played online sadly to get a full screen immersive experience that I wanted in purchasing such a monitor.
But like you said some fog of war or just anything other than black bars would be much better, it does not stop me from playing but it really is sad it’s come to bickering on here about how 1080p is the future and supporting larger resolutions is what crazy people talk about.

I honestly just think it won’t be resolved in PoE, for whatever reason, maybe it is supported in PoE 2 hopefully and maybe some time after that has been released GGG’s workload will come down slightly and possibly this can be worked on. I know its not easy keeping everyone happy and trying to fix every bug or issue.

I cannot understand people defending removing larger resolutions in 2024 or not supporting them. I would prefer game performance to be worked on before restoring SUW resolutions but yea, I get none of that is easy. I also do not think it is about hating the game or the company, its more frustration on everyone’s part who enjoyed playing at SUW resolutions and not really having a proper reason why it was removed.

If you play Diablo 3 on SUW there are massive gaps in some textures to the sides (off the side of the levels etc) but id rather it be like that than limited with bars etc. PoE was a bit like that but not quite as bad.
"
Path of Exile at 32:9 was broken

No, it wasn't.

Source: played about 500 hours at 32:9. There's also a workaround to get 32:9 functionality restored and you can see for yourself it works just fine.

And, as has been pointed out many times throughout this thread, the appropriate response if there is a problem with ultrawide support is to fix/solve the problem, not remove the feature.

1 year, 193 days.

Fix it.
Last edited by tackle70 on Feb 27, 2024, 9:22:00 AM
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Path of Exile at 32:9 was broken

No, it wasn't.

Source: played about 500 hours at 32:9. There's also a workaround to get 32:9 functionality restored and you can see for yourself it works just fine.
Yes, it was.

Source: played about 900 hours at 32:9 on my CRG9. From monsters t-posing to textures and entitites just popping in, it was all present. Not to mention some cases of extremely broken monster ai, or bosses straight up not responding while you were still able to hit them.

"
tackle70 wrote:
And, as has been pointed out many times throughout this thread, the appropriate response if there is a problem with ultrawide support is to fix/solve the problem, not remove the feature.

1 year, 193 days.

Fix it.
There is nothing to fix - they just applied a reasonable maximum without breaking the game and that reasonable maximum is 21:9 - still ultrawide. Therefore it is neither broken nor removed from the game.

1 year, 193 days. It might be time to deal with it.
"
Yes, it was.

So fix what was allegedly broken. I'll just repeat myself for the millionth time:

"
tackle70 wrote:

"
they just applied a reasonable maximum

As has been pointed out and argued many times in this thread, there is nothing reasonable about limiting screen resolutions in a noncompetitive PvE game in 2024, and there is nothing rational or internally consistent in the arguments to the contrary. This is one of the very few objectively bad decisions GGG has ever made.
Last edited by tackle70 on Feb 27, 2024, 10:18:58 AM
1 year, 194 days

Fix it
I hope they fix it, I was pretty upset about this also I couldn't figure out why my ultra wide monitor wasn't working (3840 x 1200) but if I did 3840 x 2160 it seems to go wide fully but it's all pixelated because I can't support the resolution, very odd
1 year, 195 days.

Fix it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info