widescreen resolution removed from the game.

"
Echothesis wrote:
Some people should ask for a salary here

More pay? Awesome!

It's not about 'defending everything GGG does' but keeping it fair for everyone. Widescreen inherently giving an advantage is awful for 'regular screen enjoyers'

It's very much in line with GGG's philosophy on why you can't change the UI either. Same experience for everyone

The only one who's a real negative Andy would be you, to be honest. I just want the game to stay good, while I'm not even sure you are still playing it
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Mar 4, 2024, 2:51:28 AM
I was always all in for same experience for everyone (which GGG in fact violates with unique MF bonuses for being in party or allowing 3rd party tools to blossom, putting players who don't use them at a disadvantage).

Same effective field of view for everyone is very important, yes. Issue was never about them enforcing it, but about how they enforced it. There are better ways, as said before lots of times.

Finally, things that GGG does well don't need to be commented on much. Poe has a lot of advantages over other arpg, isn't that why we all here. So yeah, let me be a "negative Andy" for mentioning recurring problems they won't fix for years, but have no problem accepting more mtx donations.
Then maybe you can acknowledge that you are being unfair when you call people like me "GGG white knights" as if we're some brainless troglodytes who'd "defend" anything they do; whatever that even means. I criticize the game enough and if you followed the board in any significant capacity you'd know that.

So yea, I goof on this thread because the premise is flawed. It's not broken, it's designed to be exactly what it is. You want it changed? Fine, but let's call things by what they are. Calling it broken is disingenuous at best
Broken was never my word of choice. Bad design, lazy design, busted OP (builds), unfair play (standard players always getting short end of the stick on patches) were, with arguments.

On the other hand, "elite" people responding to me sometimes didn't bother with arguments (not talking about personalities, forum rules). White knights were posts of one sentence made without thought, as in "you issue", "skill issue", "ggg wants equals balanced", etc. That doesn't mean people who wrote them were brainless, but also doesn't allow for a room to take those posts seriously.
1 Year, 199 days.

Still no rational arguments for this bad decision that makes the game worse for no reason.

Fix it.

"
Same experience for everyone

Yeah, someone playing at 240 fps is definitely getting the same experience as someone playing on a steam deck or min spec PC. And 21:9 is identical to 16:9 so that's OK. And everyone definitely has the same knowledge of 3rd party tools and helps, so they are all basically playing the same way.

But 32:9? nahhhhh that would provide a different experience for someone that could give an advantage in this noncompetitive PvE game
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 4, 2024, 9:06:08 AM
"
tackle70 wrote:
1 Year, 199 days.

Still no rational arguments for this bad decision that makes the game worse for no reason.

Fix it.

"
Same experience for everyone

Yeah, someone playing at 240 fps is definitely getting the same experience as someone playing on a steam deck or min spec PC. And 21:9 is identical to 16:9 so that's OK. And everyone definitely has the same knowledge of 3rd party tools and helps, so they are all basically playing the same way.

But 32:9? nahhhhh that would provide a different experience for someone that could give an advantage in this noncompetitive PvE game

I implore you to google what false dychotomy means have a nice day.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
So yea, I goof on this thread because the premise is flawed. It's not broken, it's designed to be exactly what it is. You want it changed? Fine, but let's call things by what they are. Calling it broken is disingenuous at best
This tbh. Had to be said.
I hate to break it to you guys, but...

"GGG says so" is not an argument.

Thanks again for keeping this up top.

"
ArtCrusade wrote:

I don't know what a false dychotomy is. However, an example of a false dichotomy would be "either the game is fair for everyone and 32:9 users get black bars, or the game is unfair because 32:9 users get extra FOV" when in reality there are dozens upon dozens of ways players can - through both software and hardware - obtain advantages in this non-competitive PvE game and there is no internally consistent rationale to apply black bars to ultrawide screen resolutions.
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 4, 2024, 12:00:44 PM
"
Echothesis wrote:
Broken was never my word of choice. Bad design, lazy design, busted OP (builds), unfair play (standard players always getting short end of the stick on patches) were, with arguments.

On the other hand, "elite" people responding to me sometimes didn't bother with arguments (not talking about personalities, forum rules). White knights were posts of one sentence made without thought, as in "you issue", "skill issue", "ggg wants equals balanced", etc. That doesn't mean people who wrote them were brainless, but also doesn't allow for a room to take those posts seriously.

Not yours, but tackle70 repeats it like a broken record.

And for the other part: maybe don't tar everyone with the same brush? Something, something, fairness? Where have I said "skill issue", "you issue" etc.?

"
tackle70 wrote:
I hate to break it to you guys, but...

"GGG says so" is not an argument.

Thanks again for keeping this up top.

"
ArtCrusade wrote:

I don't know what a false dychotomy is. However, an example of a false dichotomy would be "either the game is fair for everyone and 32:9 users get black bars, or the game is unfair because 32:9 users get extra FOV" when in reality there are dozens upon dozens of ways players can - through both software and hardware - obtain advantages in this non-competitive PvE game and there is no internally consistent rationale to apply black bars to ultrawide screen resolutions.

There you go again with bad faith arguments.

1) I didn't say "GGG says so" and that wasn't my argument. The way you are summarizing what I said is disingenuous and at this point, offensive. If this thread staying on top does any one thing then show more people that you are unable to have an honest debate. Let's hope it's a learning moment, and for that you are welcome.

2) If you don't know what a false dychotomy is, why are you trying to give an example of one? Better FPS vs being able to see beyond what is intended is not a valid comparison at all, which is why I pointed it out in the first place. It's also why map hacks are bannable and why you cannot adjust the zoom beyond what is possible in game.

You can certainly suggest that old widescreen is added back to PoE, but there's a reason why it was removed in the first place. 'Broken' implies it's unintended, which per definition it is not.

With the same logic you could allow console players to use KBM for FPS games. Or makro keyboards for PoE. There‘s reasons to apply limitations to hardware when appropriate, mate, whether you like it or not
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Mar 4, 2024, 2:38:02 PM
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
I didn't say "GGG says so" and that wasn't my argument.

Don't remember saying this was your argument in particular. Not sure what you are getting at. You haven't made any cogent arguments worth engaging with, as far as I've seen.

And your statement here is pretty close to "GGG says so therefore it's right":
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
It's not broken, it's designed to be exactly what it is

"
ArtCrusade wrote:
If you don't know what a false dychotomy is

Pretty sure false dychotomy isn't a thing. Maybe try reading carefully and googling what a false dichotomy is.
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 4, 2024, 11:57:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info