[3.24] Frostbolt/Ice Nova Hierophant | 100m DPS | All Content

"
DogKind wrote:
Personally I will probably just be replacing awakened cold damage support on Pledge with a level 21 arcane surge, better damage overall and meets the mana requirement for arcane capacitor.

Quick something I put together with my current build.
https://pastebin.com/7MbREjh5

Definitely agree with the arcane surge move. It also means you can put something like culling strike in your frostbolt setup. Struggling to think of anything else that would be useful there..

On another note, elementalist version looks pretty strong. Less defensive but the damage potential is enormous.

Edit: although, it seems better damage-wise to replace controlled destruction, rather than added cold?
Last edited by Subliminal89 on Jan 13, 2021, 5:52:47 PM
Just converted the final build(standard) to 3.13, and just by taking off Conviction of power and allocating all the way to Illuminated devotion, ge go from 6.4M dmg on PoB, to 6.6M, and if we take Arcane Capacitator node, the dmg spkies to 7.2M, also the cast speed goes from 6.25 to 6.68 and the mana regen from 250 to 351. Those numbers with the basic lvl 7 arcane surge, if we use a lvl 20 arcane surge, it goes to 8.6M dps, 7.05 cast speed and mana regen 450. I, however, dont think its a good idea to switch any support from ice nova for arcane surge, we lose around 3M dmg to gain very little speed cast and mana regen.
What i think would be the best is to maintain the gems as they are now and add (maybe in the helmet) an arcane cloak with lvl20 arcane surge to temporarily increase our dmg

Edit (didnt want to make a new post to answer a short topic):
Arcane surge lvl 21 does win by a bit against *normal* controlled destruction, but the awakened version wins by 2M dmg in the version of the PoB i used.
Last edited by Heronik209 on Jan 13, 2021, 7:14:48 PM
"
Heronik209 wrote:
Just converted the final build(standard) to 3.13, and just by taking off Conviction of power and allocating all the way to Illuminated devotion, ge go from 6.4M dmg on PoB, to 6.6M, and if we take Arcane Capacitator node, the dmg spkies to 7.2M, also the cast speed goes from 6.25 to 6.68 and the mana regen from 250 to 351. Those numbers with the basic lvl 7 arcane surge, if we use a lvl 20 arcane surge, it goes to 8.6M dps, 7.05 cast speed and mana regen 450. I, however, dont think its a good idea to switch any support from ice nova for arcane surge, we lose around 3M dmg to gain very little speed cast and mana regen.
What i think would be the best is to maintain the gems as they are now and add (maybe in the helmet) an arcane cloak with lvl20 arcane surge to temporarily increase our dmg

I seem to get a substantial damage boost, placing a 21 arcane surge instead of controlled destruction?
I'd rather keep permanent sustain of Arcane Surge from Frostbolt, especially when it grants imunity to elemental ailments.

Elementalist may seem like pretty decent alternative, but to me she looks like a wild card, especially when you do juiced maps with tons of unique mobs and "on death" procs, which will kill your golems and trigger your Convergence (the last part aint naccesarily bad).
I wish Mastermind of Discord and Heart of Destruction swap places, then you couldwe take Golems, Primal Aegis and that sweet AoE/DMG switcher altogether...

Also, Occultits may be pretty decent choice, thanks to cold/curse branches which gives tons of damage, flat damage output reduction on enemy side some QoL and chaos explosions (alike of Gloom Shrine), which may be a big deal since Ice Nova usually doesnt struggle with bosses.

Though both options may suffer: mana sustain, loss of 1/5~ EHP, AoE reduction, loss of other QoL goodies...
Maybe there's a way to outshine Hierophant, but it definitely requires different approach.
Nice build and presentation! I was wondering if you have considered using Trinity Support for Ice Nova?

My idea is to have Added Lightning Damage and Trinity supports on Frostbolt so that its main damage is lightning, allowing it to generate Cold resonance and grant the benefits to Trinity support on Ice Nova.

This support is insane, 50% more elemental damage AND 20% elemental penetration at max resonance (takes 2 seconds to ramp from 0), Anomalous alt quality even has 15% cast speed to both Ice Nova and Frostbolt.
"
Versallius wrote:
Nice build and presentation! I was wondering if you have considered using Trinity Support for Ice Nova?

My idea is to have Added Lightning Damage and Trinity supports on Frostbolt so that its main damage is lightning, allowing it to generate Cold resonance and grant the benefits to Trinity support on Ice Nova.

This support is insane, 50% more elemental damage AND 20% elemental penetration at max resonance (takes 2 seconds to ramp from 0), Anomalous alt quality even has 15% cast speed to both Ice Nova and Frostbolt.

From a quick look in PoB, all of the sources of cold damage and cold penetration on an ice nova build is going to push your cold damage on frostbolt significantly above the lightning damage for added lightning, so I don't think you'll be able to generate cold resonance.
"
Subliminal89 wrote:
"
DogKind wrote:
Personally I will probably just be replacing awakened cold damage support on Pledge with a level 21 arcane surge, better damage overall and meets the mana requirement for arcane capacitor.

Definitely agree with the arcane surge move. It also means you can put something like culling strike in your frost bolt setup. Struggling to think of anything else that would be useful there..

On another note, elementalist version looks pretty strong. Less defensive but the damage potential is enormous.

Edit: although, it seems better damage-wise to replace controlled destruction, rather than added cold?

400k ish dps difference in favor of awakened controlled destruction support atleast on my pob I do run Hands of the high Templar and torrents reclamation tho so so i am scaling differently.

Arcane surge to pledge is going to be insane value, 6b instead of 5b/1g is going to be much easier to roll. Ill be keeping replica farruls as a 5 link going to be an easy link when I get one and rolling to 4b/1g instead of 5b/1g is going to be insanely easy, 5g/1g was a nightmare.
"
DogKind wrote:
"
Subliminal89 wrote:
"
DogKind wrote:

Definitely agree with the arcane surge move. It also means you can put something like culling strike in your frost bolt setup. Struggling to think of anything else that would be useful there..

400k ish dps difference in favor of awakened controlled destruction support atleast on my pob I do run Hands of the high Templar and torrents reclamation tho so so i am scaling differently.

Arcane surge to pledge is going to be insane value, 6b instead of 5b/1g is going to be much easier to roll. Ill be keeping replica farruls as a 5 link going to be an easy link when I get one and rolling to 4b/1g instead of 5b/1g is going to be insanely easy, 5g/1g was a nightmare.

Yeah fair, for your crazy PoB haha, makes sense.
Will be updating guide/pob tomorrow, should be just minor changes.

When I've looked at it in the past, options like Arcane Surge on main 6L and the Arcane Capacitor node look better in theory than in practice. Main concern is just the amount of casting you have to do to actually proc the buff. I'll definitely take another look at it tomorrow though with the hierophant changes.
"
Subliminal89 wrote:
"
Versallius wrote:

From a quick look in PoB, all of the sources of cold damage and cold penetration on an ice nova build is going to push your cold damage on frostbolt significantly above the lightning damage for added lightning, so I don't think you'll be able to generate cold resonance.

I use a level 1 Frostbolt with level 20 Added Lightning. It works out fine in PoB, the lightning portion is approx 500-1300 and cold portion is approx 200-400.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info