Development Manifesto: Balance in Path of Exile: Conquerors of the Atlas

"
Hyskoa wrote:
I have no idea why you think people want a dark souls arpg equivalent rather than just some fun, rewarding, cathartic grinding.

Agreed!

Had a lot of fun playing a Zombie necro this league (unfortunately came in late) - as for me it was exactly that, cathartic grinding - and was excited to start the new league and polish my build, push it further. I'm a bit concerned it won't be possible now.

Other than that, I agree with the posts on how hard it is to get good items out of RNG (and learnt from watching streamers and power players to mostly ignore drops) and how Boss drops don't seem to be as rewarding as speed-clearing other content.
RIP multimod
Can't wait to play some ballistas :)

Thanks for your hard work GGG!
Can you please fix PERFORATE skill? Its total garbage, but have potencial :))

"
"increased Physical Damage and Socketed Gems are Supported By" modifiers on Two Handed Weapons.

Why only 2 handed weapons nerfed??? :(

Multiple crafting mods nerf - :((((

Headhunter - NO NERF??? :(!
Playing marauder @ Hardcore leagues

"
eexdee wrote:
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
"
FramFramson wrote:
This is why the Multimod nerf is a direct shot at casual players.

Before this, with 2-5 ex you could make a perfectly serviceable but not OP endgame weapon. This was well within the reach of many players.

Now? forget it. More RNG, more hours grinding currency, more hours spent grinding or spamming to reduce the overall impact of RNG.

GGG wants you playing PoE and only PoE.

no, the casuals want to access the end of the endgame cheaply and easily, and GGG only wants the most dedicated players who play only PoE to get there

Dude, what is the reason to make high end game easier every time ???

This game is not for casuals, this game is for you to spend hours, gearing up your build and all that stuff.

If u dont have the time for that, leave it, or just accept where u can get.

Stop complaning about literaly all the changes they make.

I'm wondering if you guys understand what's the issue.

Upping RNG has literally nothing to do with skill or imagination or gittin' gud. It simply means that in order to even it out, you need a larger pool, whether this is modifiers or item drops.

This is not about casuals versus "elites" this is about whether you spend time doing enjoyable things or spend time in endless days of tedium and more and more gambling.

What's at the heart is whether GGG is going to spend time creating content that's fun and engaging to play, or whether updates contain only a few changes for change's sake with the existing content stretched ever-thinner through unimaginative time-sinks.

I mean, maybe you like tedium. Some people genuinely enjoy hours of grinding where they can just shut their brains off.

But some people hate that. Maybe they can't articulate why they feel like they're not getting anywhere - they might be young, inexperienced, not familiar with ARPGs, games with a heavy RNG element or some other aspect of the game. All they know is that they're frustrated and can't seem to get any good items (as if the game doesn't drop enough garbage items as it is).

If there's more people who enjoy the former, then that helps boost player numbers. If there's more people frustrated by the latter, then that's just one more thing to knock player numbers down.
Last edited by FramFramson on Dec 10, 2019, 3:22:33 AM
What an horrible definition of "balance".

Increasing the power of monsters will have a tremendous impact on already low-damage builds, while having no consequences on high-damage builds.

Changes on item affixes and "multiple crafted mod" will also have great consequences on players that don't have 15 hours a day to play, because crafting in path of exile is a hell of a rng-mess that requires an insane amount of currencies to be consistent.

I know that Path of exile is trying to be a game for "hardcore players" but... A game is also supposed to be fun, don't make the game so hard that everyone will play the same exact build...
If they want to make it for hardcore players because they're the whales who pay the bills, that's up to GGG. It's their bottom line and GGG is a business not a charity.

But don't be surprised when the player numbers go down yet again.
"
WickedSausage wrote:
The game is 2 easy currently so it needs to be harder. So much has gotten buffed over the years while the enemies more or less remained the same.
Even with medium dmg builds you can just crush the content.

Personally i think that 10hp and res, armor changes to normal mobs is too little. But who knows...

The game isn't "easy", and it's not "hard". It's an arpg, not a moba. The difficulty is in putting a build together and being willing to grind. "Moar one shots" and "now hold this button for 30 seconds instead of 25" don't make the game harder. More telegraphed attacks would slightly increase difficulty, but the ceiling for arpgs is pretty fuckin low(as it should be).

Streaming has turned every pve game into some kind of wannabe sandbox/fps/moba competitive balance shitfest. When I'm tired after a day of work and want to relax to some monster crushing, that's what this genre is supposed to offer. If I want to get my dick stomped in to the point of frustration there are plenty of pvp games which can offer that to me.

Take the nerfs and streamer shit back to League of Legends, and just let me have fun monster mashing this pve dungeon crawler.
Forum probation for calling someone a 'troll', so I lifetime banned myself from spending money on PoE.
pog
still waiting for vaal firestorm/icecrash though

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info