[3.21] ShakCentral's Cold DoT Elementalist For Everyone

"
Morclye wrote:
Hi!
I've been enjoying this build but now I need some advice.
short version: lacking damage in red maps, rituals becoming problem

long version below:

Playing the CI-variant I know it isn't as good when it comes to damage but now in red maps I'm starting to struggle. In rituals especially I get easily overwhelmed where I can't clear first wave fast enough before next ones spawn in leading into situation where there is no more room to move to recharge ES.

I'm semi-casual player who is absolutely clueless when it comes to itemization / I know nothing about crafting except bench craft missing mod if open suffix / prefix. I know my gloves and shield need upgrades for sure but seems like all upgrades are 2EX plus in cost or people selling cheaper ones are not responding.

PoB shows my Vortex DPS at 364k with Frostbite active and 245k without it. Latter being more realistic since Frostbite seems to trigger only every 1 / 4 packs or so I go through, not sure why that is. ES is just shy of 8k, I don't die too often except when screen gets filled by monsters in red map rituals.

I've got 1 Exalted + 130 Chaos right now to spend on upgrades hopefully getting me deeper into red tiers with more damage. Would love to try low life but it is currently way out of my budget.

Character is RitualMorclye and below is the PoB code link at PasteBin:
https://pastebin.com/mYHjPJ6S

I don't remember how the CI version is but your tree is kinda weird. For instance, on the right of the tree, why going down till fangs of the viper ?
Also, if you play CI, you need to take advantage of %ES on block on the shield... That would help quite a lot.

Also, I would really consider swicthing low life. Mid-league, it is really not as expensive as you may think.
You only need few mandatory items for a budget LL version
- Shavronne's wrappings 5-links : 25 chaos (6-links: 2.5 ex)
- Prism Guardian : 2 chaos
- Presence of Chayula : 15 chaos
- Mark of the shaper : 5 chaos
- Elder ring

Consider that by switching low life, you have only gloves/belt/boots/one ring to cap your resist, get the attributes you need, and get as much ES as you can. So better start with these rare items and then get the unique.
You also need lots of regrets orb to change your tree and new gems but that should be quite affordable.

Try it on PoB first.
"
Morclye wrote:
Hi!

long version below:

Playing the CI-variant I know it isn't as good when it comes to damage but now in red maps I'm starting to struggle. In rituals especially I get easily overwhelmed where I can't clear first wave fast enough before next ones spawn in leading into situation where there is no more room to move to recharge ES.

I'm semi-casual player who is absolutely clueless when it comes to itemization / I know nothing about crafting except bench craft missing mod if open suffix / prefix. I know my gloves and shield need upgrades for sure but seems like all upgrades are 2EX plus in cost or people selling cheaper ones are not responding.

PoB shows my Vortex DPS at 364k with Frostbite active and 245k without it. Latter being more realistic since Frostbite seems to trigger only every 1 / 4 packs or so I go through, not sure why that is. ES is just shy of 8k, I don't die too often except when screen gets filled by monsters in red map rituals.

I've got 1 Exalted + 130 Chaos right now to spend on upgrades hopefully getting me deeper into red tiers with more damage. Would love to try low life but it is currently way out of my budget.

You will need a lot more currency then what you have to upgrade your dmg for CI. I would go for Arkann's advice and think about switching to Low Life.

Honestly, you should drop down to t10-t13 and farm Valdo's Rest with Harbinger passives. You can get 20 Ancient Orbs in a hour spamming low tier maps and they sell for like 20-25 chaos each. Your gonna need a lot more currency to get your dmg up to around 2mil for high tier red maps.
Last edited by donbrawler on Feb 19, 2021, 6:25:56 AM
"
Arkannn wrote:

I don't remember how the CI version is but your tree is kinda weird. For instance, on the right of the tree, why going down till fangs of the viper ?
Also, if you play CI, you need to take advantage of %ES on block on the shield... That would help quite a lot.

Also, I would really consider swicthing low life. Mid-league, it is really not as expensive as you may think.
You only need few mandatory items for a budget LL version
- Shavronne's wrappings 5-links : 25 chaos (6-links: 2.5 ex)
- Prism Guardian : 2 chaos
- Presence of Chayula : 15 chaos
- Mark of the shaper : 5 chaos
- Elder ring

Consider that by switching low life, you have only gloves/belt/boots/one ring to cap your resist, get the attributes you need, and get as much ES as you can. So better start with these rare items and then get the unique.
You also need lots of regrets orb to change your tree and new gems but that should be quite affordable.

Try it on PoB first.

Thank you and thanks to donbrawler for fast responses!

The tree is following the CI PoB tree by OP on first page of this guide.
Fangs of the Viper is only because it was easy 1 point to get enough dex for level 20 support gems for Vortex.

I'll look for shield upgrade with the ES on block.

The reason I went for CI is I've understood that it is the budget solution while LL version is for big budget (10 EX and upwards) end game variant for wealthy players. Plus for some reason I thought LL is much more difficult to play in terms of survivability and gearing.

I'll try donbrawler's tip on farming currency, something I haven't know how to do. Usually in leagues I struggle to get 24 challenges done by last week and have usually between 1 - 4 EX to spend during entire leagues. I'm type of player who just runs whatever maps I happen to have, rarely gets Exalt drops and usually only reach red maps by last month of league.
Last edited by Morclye on Feb 19, 2021, 6:56:19 AM
"
Morclye wrote:
Hi!

long version below:

Hi, I've stayed with the CI version of the build longer than most and hit a similar wall on DPS (although with bosses, not trash). There are a few things you can do very cheaply to improve your dps and stay in CI:

Drop vaal righteus fire and move frostbite to your gloves. You will have to also move vaal discipline and add in blasphemy. You will probably need a higher level enlighten, PM me in game for a lv3 I have I am not using anymore. you can move vaal discipline in one of the dash sockets (e.g. faster casting). In the CI version you only use vaal discipline and do not actually activate the regular discipline aura since you can get plenty of ES from your gear

replace frostbite in your wand with frost bomb. the monster cold resistance reduction from frostbomb is a big DPS increase

for gear there are a few very inexpensive upgrades:

rings - get mark of the shaper + one elder influenced ring that meets your resistance caps. They are not very expensive

Gloves - get a fingerless silk gloves with enough ES and resistances. while you are at it, get some boots with higher ES and higher MS. 30% MS and 100 ES sorc boots are around 5c

Get a better wand - I was able to pick up more DPS with pretty much all the trash wands I have laying around. Wands with higher cold damage multi than yours start at 1c.

Those changes should more than double your DPS on trash, enabling you to farm red maps and get some currency that you can use to shift to the LL version of the build. If you want to stay with CI the DPS tops out at around 1.2-1.3 Mil Sirus DPS which is fine for killing Sirus and most of the early bosses, but LL makes a big difference.

P.S. in path of building make sure to change the config parameters to see the correct impact of EE - check the options "enemy was hit by light. damage" and "ignore skill hit damage" and also remember that you can see the dps difference between bosses and trash by choosing different vales in the "is the enemy a boss" drop down. that will enable you to gage your dps on Sirus and other bosses as they have higher resistances.

Good luck and PM in in game if you need anything.

"
donbrawler wrote:
@EnderCN

There is huge difference between "20% Damage over Time Multiplier" vs "30% Damage over time".

Damage over time Multiplier is the stat you want to scale.

Oh thank you, I didn't even notice the difference in wording. POE's somewhat confusing verbiage gets me again. I'll look into the nuts and bolts of the difference but this was driving me crazy. Took me a bit to get the increased vs more thing too.
Hey folks,

Could someone take a look and suggest what to buy next? Wand? I've got around 4ex at the moment:

I'm no expert, especially when it comes to trade league since I play SSF. But 15% movement speed boots stand out as something you should be trying to upgrade considering how good the rest of your gear is.
Hi all!
Using this build as my first CI char, I'm feeling pretty good at mapping (I'm actually at t12 maps no problem, but I'm also doing t16 maps in party with 1 or 2 friends, and i die "only" 1 or 2 times per day...a lot better than with other build I've made in the past XD), and having 8k ES and at mimimum 1M vortex dps, I'm not so sure what should I upgrade next:

I will change my second ring because I dont' need anymore that +20 dex on a single item, but not so sure if I have to check another gear or focussing on taking lvl 21 / awakened gems.

Thanks for any advice!
"
Hi all!
Using this build as my first CI char, I'm feeling pretty good at mapping (I'm actually at t12 maps no problem, but I'm also doing t16 maps in party with 1 or 2 friends, and i die "only" 1 or 2 times per day...a lot better than with other build I've made in the past XD), and having 8k ES and at mimimum 1M vortex dps, I'm not so sure what should I upgrade next:

I will change my second ring because I dont' need anymore that +20 dex on a single item, but not so sure if I have to check another gear or focussing on taking lvl 21 / awakened gems.

Thanks for any advice!

Do you have Sirus as the boss enabled in PoB? I was not able to get much over 1M Sirus DPS without switching to LL (which skyrocketed me to 2.5M Sirus DPS).

As for the recommedations, if you plan to stay on CI for a while, get "Recover X% of energy shield when you block" on your shield, Cinderswallow flask and higher ES rolls on your gear. Your Body armour is missing in the post but get as much ES on it as you can, it is the most important ES piece. Also it seems that you do not stack "Cold DoT Multiplier" enough. Do not confuse it with "Increased DoT" on your gloves which is much worse of a stat.

If you are OK with your defenses and are looking for pure DPS increase, switch to LL, it really is a gamechanger and no other change is even close to it.
"
deimoss98 wrote:

Do you have Sirus as the boss enabled in PoB? I was not able to get much over 1M Sirus DPS without switching to LL (which skyrocketed me to 2.5M Sirus DPS).

As for the recommedations, if you plan to stay on CI for a while, get "Recover X% of energy shield when you block" on your shield, Cinderswallow flask and higher ES rolls on your gear. Your Body armour is missing in the post but get as much ES on it as you can, it is the most important ES piece. Also it seems that you do not stack "Cold DoT Multiplier" enough. Do not confuse it with "Increased DoT" on your gloves which is much worse of a stat.

If you are OK with your defenses and are looking for pure DPS increase, switch to LL, it really is a gamechanger and no other change is even close to it.

Sorry, forgot to put in the chest XD

the gloves where a cheap upgrade from previous gloves I had, so the increased dot was a plus stat, but will surely try to find more "dot multiplier" as possible.
Same for shield mod, did not find anything to buy with my currency, so will upgrade in future.
Thanks for the mod suggestions,they will be very helpful!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info